1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 NBA Draft Lottery

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., May 16, 2016.

1. rullrich

rullrich Member

It's possible - but on paper he's got the highest upside for the 6ers. I don't know how anyone in the league adjusts to guard him when he's feeling it. Think if he can keep his head on straight his floor is at least Giannis.

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I hate to be "that guy"... principally because, as you note, Simmons' upside is definitely huge, and if it all comes together for him, you're clearly talking about a 20+ ppg, 7+ rpg, 3+ apg guy with, efficiency, plus defense and high bball IQ.

I mean, will I be surprised if in 6-7 years Simmons puts up a 25/9/6 season? No.

But I think he also has a lower floor than Ingram. Because he's not a natural scorer, and at the moment, he has a bit of a tweener characteristic about him. He doesn't have a solid enough outside shot or quick enough handles to be a top tier SF. He doesn't appear to have a strong enough base or solid enough post moves to be a top tier PF yet.

The Lamar Odom comparison has been made. And again, that's a really good player, and if he reaches his upside, he's a much better version of Odom, which frankly would be amazing. And if he can be a great defender, with the versatility he offers, his impact on winning beyond stats will be super high.

So I don't fault anyone for choosing Simmons.

But I also don't fault anyone for choosing Ingram. He's super tall and long himself. He's not quite the rebounder Simmons is, but Ingram is a clear SF. Will be, will always be. He shot over 40% from three, so fits into the modern NBA and his position. And still rebounded above average, defended well, etc. And of course Ingram played against much better competition.

Can't fault Simmons for his college choice. It doesn't seem to have impacted his draft stock much if at all. But as a fan, you sure wish Simmons would have chosen a better program so we could have a better feel for his game.

3. OTMax

OTMax Member

Can't blame players for not wanting to rot in Philly. It has turned into a loser's franchise..

4. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

In Philly, if you are real good and play hard you will be a king.

In LA, if you are real good and play hard..."well he ain't no Kobe/Shaq/Magic/Kareem" and where is the title.

5. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I'm in LA surrounded by Laker fans. Kobe and Shaq never had a problem with being compared to being compared to Magic and Kareem. Bynum was rarely compared to Shaq, fans overwhelming liked him. Their current young core (Clarkson, Russell, and Randle) aren't scrutinized like that either. I've seen a ton more complaints about Harden not being Dream here, but that's because he appears to be lazy sometimes. Fans everywhere are the same, play hard and they will like you despite your talent level.

6. bandwagon

bandwagon Member

In LA, if you are good people will call you great. If you're great, people will call you the Greatest Evaaaaah.

In Philly, if you are great people will call you good. If you are good, you will eventually be traded away for future draft picks because they don't want you to win games and ruin their odds at getting a "great" player in the lottery. Meanwhile, you'll spend your formative years in a toxic loser environment and you will never develop into the player you could've been.

7. hoopster325

hoopster325 Member

Lol he better be careful. Philly is the one franchise who will say "f**k it" and draft a guy even if he doesn't want to be there.

Players in the draft have very little leverage. Simmons can pout and moan, but he'd be stuck in Philly for 4 years and won't be doing himself any service by being seen as a guy who doesn't want to be the best he can be.