1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Dec 21, 2015.

1. htownbball

htownbball Member

Has anyone posted the BA top 10 for the Astros?

1. AJ Reed
    2. Francis Martes
    3. Alex Bregman
    4. Kyle Tucker
    5. Daz Cameron
    6. Joe Musgrove
    7. David Paulino
    8. Colin Moran
    9. Derek Fisher
    10. Michael Feliz

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

They aren't perfect, but there are a lot of minor leaguers. Of good major leaguers, about 60-70 percent of them were on a preseason Top 100 list. Guys like Keuchel are going to slip through, but it is very hard to predict his type of player. Guys like McCullers (i.e. talented guys likely just outside Top 100 that spend less than a season in AA and above) are also going to slip through the preseason Top 100.

Considering the amount of uncertainty between projecting a major leaguer's next season with major league data, prospect lists being as accurate as they are is amazing considering they are projecting a minor leaguer's performance in the majors from minor league data.

3. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Post #26

4. right1

right1 Member

Where does Tony Kemp fit in with the Astros? How much trade value does he have? As much as Fisher?

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

They actually started playing him in the OF last year because 2B is blocked, and Bregman is right on his heels.

Kemp is extremely small, and despite Altuve's success, players of that size are almost unheard of in the MLB (or any sport for that matter). He also struggled in AAA last year. Because of his pedigree (or lack therof) he doesn't really get the benefit of the doubt. Despite being basically viewed in a similar light rankings wise to Fisher (Fisher has more pop, but very close otherwise), I think Fisher has much more trade value because a 6-1 athletic OF is so much more common than a 5-6 anything.

6. right1

right1 Member

But, despite his size the Astros made him a 5th round pick. And he certainly doesn't lack a pedigree (hence the 5th tound pick) having been a successful collegiate player at Vanderbilt- one of the top programs in the country. Kemp was the MVP of the SEC and first team All-American in 2013. He also (despite hitting .273 in Fresno) holds a career .304/.393/ and almost .800 ops.

7. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Astros routinely(lately, Luhnow era) find college seniors that are good but overlooked for various reasons(Preston Tucker, 7th Round, bad baseball body) to sign in the top 3-10 rounds so that they can spread their allotted pool allowance more heavily in the first few rounds.

Not to take anything away from Kemp, as it looks like they found another good one, but you can't tie his value to his draft position, as there is a good chance another team would have drafted him much later.

FWIW, Kemp signed for 250K that year, about 110K under slot.

http://www.perfectgame.org/Draft/Signings.aspx?y=2013

#87 crose, Jan 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Perhaps pedigree was a poor choice of words on my part. What I meant was that he has never been viewed as a possible MLB difference maker by scouts. Despite his greatness is college, he still fell to the 5th round. Scouts tend to have their mind made up on guys.

If everything about Tomy Kemp was the exact same results wise, expect he was 6-2 instead of 5-6, he would have been a 1st round pick, and would be a top 50 prospect now. Fairly or unfairly, that height stands out as a neon red flag because seeing that translate is so rare.

9. Nook

Nook Member

I don't necessarily disagree with your assessment but would point out that internal prospect lists vary from organization to organization and greatly from what you see in publications or on websites.

While 60-70% is impressive, some fans completely evaluate based on the prospect # next to their name. For example, I seriously doubt that the Astros would deal Martes for 75% of the names above him on some of the lists I have seen. There was a similar situation with AJ Reed.... he wasn't listed as a top 50-75 prospect, when the Astros internally valued him at a very high level.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

He's an interesting guy to me. Basically, had a bad first 100-150 ABs at AAA and then turned it on for another 100-150 ABs.

I think the Astros right now are hoping he turns into a Enrique Hernandez with a little less power. Basically, a guy that can play some infield/some outfield and his bat can get in the game a lot. Maybe turn into a starter if all goes well. Maybe, becomes a nobody if it doesn't.

Astros, though having a lot of swing and a miss guys in majors last year, have a ton of guys that don't swing and miss in the minors. I think this is a skill the Astros focus on prior to the majors. Guys with this skill tend not to have as big a dropoff in their RC+ from AAA to the majors.

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It is understandable that different teams value different guys differently. I would guess most prospects are on the team that values them the most. I see the prospect lists more of how teams evaluate other teams' prospects than how a team evaluates its own prospects.

I see no problem throwing a value on a prospect based on the skill of whoever is making a list. Typically, the values aren't going to be very accurate prior to AA. Some lists love tools. Some love production.

On Martes, BA had internal disagreement on his spot. I would expect other lists to have him higher.

#91 Joe Joe, Jan 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  12. awc713

awc713 Member

i still cant believe we got martes as a throw-in on the cosart deal.

13. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

Heck, and there were a few who were mad about trading Cosart. I'd of been one of them if not for the unbelievable haul Luhnow managed.

14. right1

right1 Member

15. Buck Turgidson

You do understand that this has little to nothing to do with how actual Major League Baseball teams value players, right?

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Yep...but short of knowing Luhnow's password, I doubt I'll get much information about how the Astros view their orospects. An outsider's view is more information than none.

17. htownbball

htownbball Member

Anyone think Alex Bregman draws some comparisons to Chris Burke when he was drafted?

- Both noted for being gritty hustle players that make their tools play up
    - Both considered advanced players with chance to move up quickly
    - Neither a true shortstop with 2B as their best position
    - Both blocked at their position by a future HOF (Biggio and Correa)
    - Similar size (both listed 5'11 180lbs)
    - Similar power (raw power goes to Bregman but his swing plane and pull tendenacies will limit his overall HR numbers in the 10-15 range similar to what Burke was expected)

Hopefully Bregman can find a position and play everyday. Bregman is following the same MILB trajectory and will be in AA in his age 22 season. Burke had to repeat AA as he disappointed in his first try and wasn't called up until he was 24 (after putting up a monster AAA season). Given our win now mode, if Bregman is blocked when he's ready to come up, I think Luhnow trades him.

18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Bregman is a true shortstop.

19. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Baseball Prospectus released its top 101 prospects list today, and 5 Astros were named on the list.

39. Alex Bregman

55. A.J. Reed

63. Francis Martes

85. Daz Cameron

93. Kyle Tucker

On his swing:

#99 tellitlikeitis, Jan 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  20. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

If Bergman is very good defensively at SS, then Correa will move to 3b