1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2016-2017] Donatas Motiejunas as a New Orleans Pelican

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Snow Villiers, Jan 1, 2017.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

DMO isnt an asset, an asset is something that has VALUE. Dmo had no value which was why he was let go for nothing and could only sign 1.5M on a garbage team.

If it was DMo 2 years ago sure. But DMo two years ago isnt DMo today, dude cant even get on the court on a garbage team. If he was just knocking of rust how come his team doesnt support him and give him mins in garbage time? Even when the game is out of hand he still get 3-6 mins, thats not the time you gice to someone knocking off rust thats PT for scrubs. Check out Parsons PT on memphis, thats a prime example of someone knocking off rust not DMo who sat on his ass for half a season then came out with 7 games of 2 pts 0 rebs.

I still cant believe you accused me of making crap up yet here you are oblivious of the reality staring you right in the face. Go ahead and keep pining for DMo as he continues to scrub it up for the entire season.

2. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I feel like some D-Mo fans are viewing D-Mo the way rabid Lin fans view Jeremy Lin.

Injury prone player that once had a flash of great play but has not been able to achieve the same level of success since, but he will always be better than every player he is compared to simply because his fans will keep bringing up his once great play as the standard unit of measurement.

At least Lin is more durable and doesn't whine off-court, and would probably be a solid 6th man option on a lot of teams.

That being said, I also do not want him to succeed as a Pelican. I think his attempts to weasel out of RFA was pathetic and selfish, and instead of playing for a top team in the league, he instead opted to whine. He certainly would be giving other RFA bad ideas in the future which may severely hurt less competitive teams that are just trying to get better.

vator likes this.
  3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

It's also the same because there are as many people obsessed with trashing him as there are people obsessed with glorifying him. This thread will live on not because of DOF or DOH but because both will participate.

In reality he's a good player with what is likely a chronic back injury. Both sides are right, but everyone will just keep shouting their half of the truth.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sadly, but some of us just wants him have a decent career in the States. Still wish him the best.

Realistically just a good 6th or 7th guy if he can produce. Sad.

5. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

hakeem94 and Pen15clubber like this.
  6. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I agree, but at the end of the day unless a player is actively working against the organization, there really isn't a real need to despise that particular player. Everyone should be supporting every player on the Rockets, even if they suck (Brewer), and it's fair to be upset and angry if they do but I wouldn't qualify that as a hater either

When somebody irrationally hates a player on this team, making every topic about that player and how bad they are, and bringing up that person or player in irrelevant topics to throw shades at them, then I would hardly consider that person a loyal Rocket fan. Unfortunately, there are many of these individuals on this board who feel the need to want a Rocket player playing on the Rockets to fail.

With D-Mo, his situation was pretty preposterous, so the anger and hatred towards this guy is justified to a large extent in my opinion. He was working against the interest of the organization (and himself), putting everyone in an awkward position and basically holding the team hostage.

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

Damn dude thats a little bit harsh we're all Rox fans here

8. Normalus

Normalus Member

We traded him for 1st rounder. He had value once.

9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

That's what I mean. What you're saying here is not false, but it is a half truth.

D-Mo did those things, that's half the truth.

The other half of the truth is, every player is working against the interest of the organization if you look at a context-less slice of reality. Every player wants to get paid more, and every organization want to pay less. When teams screw players on a personal level, it's a business. When players screw organizations on a personal level, it is also a business (or we are hypocrites). These are diametrically opposed interests by design.

He didn't hold the team hostage, we lost nothing. The Rockets did what they wanted within their rights and it had no effect on the team whatsoever. No one held anyone hostage, everyone just did whatever they felt they wanted.

Also, no anger or hatred is justified. Just in general, I don't agree with the theory of justified anger or hatred. It's like the guy who can't get over the relationship that obviously was not working. If you're angry or hateful, then there is something else occupying your mind. We lost nothing that could be sustained, so we should be indifferent. It is what it is. Whether he succeeds and people cheer him or he fails and people boo him, it doesn't matter. We can't think in a way that one or the other is unacceptable. We can't say that everyone has to support every player on the team, I don't agree with that at all and there's nothing wrong with disagreeing with that and there's nothing wrong with people who disagree with me disagreeing with that.

There's just toooooo much emotion attached here and everyone is screaming that their half is right when the truth is, a half is a half. We screwed D-Mo, D-Mo screwed us, his back is screwed, his agent screwed him, his play is screwed up, etc. Everything is true, there is no disagreement between DOF and DOH, there is only emotional yelling.

I would be ecstatic if he happened to break out and have a great career helping the Pelicans achieve their goals against anyone but the Rockets. And I didn't like the way his agent negotiated. And I thought it was fishy the way we cancelled the contract. And I didn't like some of his comments when he felt slighted. And I think his back is risky. And I think he's worth more than the minimum. And I'm going to laugh at funny jokes about the situation. And I'm going to be irritated by people who litter my BBS experience with non-stop man crying about how D-Mo is a POS.

The truth is complex and so are the opinions. This is just going to be another saga just like the whole Lin thing, but that's not going to stop me from coming here and talking about his play - positive or negative - whenever I feel like it might bring about a rational logical unemotional discussion. Everyone else - 90% of this thread - I'll just ignore.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It really is too bad that we didn't get that Detroit pick for Donatas. That was one of the masterful Daryl Morey trades that was shot down. Would have been way better for his career too.

So happy we are winning and far away from drama.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

14pts 4 boards tonight 2-3 on 3pters, 5-8 overall - 29 minutes.

He and Tjones had a very good night tonight...TJones was amazing!

DD

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. dmoneybangbang

The only thing that matters is who is better: TJones or DMo?

13. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Dmo and Tjones>Our current bigs. :eek:

hakeem94 and mario_v like this.
  14. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

TJones had 36 & 11 rebs? Cavs took the night off.

15. vator

vator Contributing Member

Credit where it's due. He had a game. Let's see how sustainable it is.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He needs consistent minutes same as anyone, his production fell last year because he got inconsistent run, especially after January.

DD

vator likes this.
  17. vator

vator Contributing Member

I hope he gets his minutes. I'd like to see what happens. I rooted for him while he was a Rocket. I'm a bit indifferent right now because of the way he and BJ tried to break RFA, but before this, he seemed like a nice dude. I'm not really rooting for him per se, but I give guys props when they deserve it. I also reserve the right to laugh at him if he fails and falls flat on his face.

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yes, "as anyone." So, logic dictates, you also have to beat out your teammates, who need consistent minutes too.

Inconsistent minutes is often tied to inconsistent play when the coach can only keep you in under ideal match-ups or when you're playing well, or because someone else is playing better. We can make a chicken or egg argument here: Does lack of consistent minutes cause inconsistent play, or does inconsistent play (or soreness??) cause lack of consistent minutes.

Inconsistent minutes is often the support cry of the fans of inconsistent players.

btw: he didn't play the entire months of January and Feb last year. Official reason was soreness and pain had returned as a setback requiring an MRI. But whether or not we just showcased him in Dec or not, and purposely inactivated him all the way until the trade, it's disingenuous to say his production fell off, as it was never really regained, in the 14 games he played in December.

19. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

It would be nice if there was one thread that you could go to and it actually stayed on the subject posted. So hard to wade through so many posts just to find the info. I'm looking for. I wish a lot of you would grow up and stop playing NIGYSOB all the time.

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

If you want info on DMo's stats, just go to ESPN or NBA.com. If you want DMo banter - relevant and irrelevant, come to this thread