1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2016-17] Dwight Howard as an Atlanta Hawk

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Jul 1, 2016.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I agree with that too. I'm not even sure he would be good in the PnR, he's not great at catching passes in traffic, moving quickly in small spaces or exploding to the rim anymore. Sure he could set a decent pick if he put his mind to it, but that's it.

I'm tired of people suggesting ways for him to contribute on offense and I'm tired of him trying to contribute on offense, he needs to focus solely on defense and rebounding just like the Rockets' version of Deke did. Deke didn't set devastating picks and rarely touched the ball, but he was able to make a huge impact despite his limitations.

thedude077 likes this.
  2. malakas

malakas Member

I said IF healthy. Not that much of far fetched hypothesis.
    Do you reallyy think that the trade value is something as simple as an espn journalist making a poll of some unknown gms?

Or do you want me to bring up all the players that were traded for late first rounders recently? :rolleyes:

TIL you have to be a superstar in your prime to bring back a late first in a trade.

3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I still think he is simply content to make money and pump up his stats for the HOF. He is 3,348 points away from 20,000, and he is capable of probably getting about 3000 more rebounds which would put him right between Karl Malone and Tim Duncan. Those are easily HOF numbers, he is RICH. Obviously he would like to win but he knows he can't lead a team to that, so that is a bonus at this point after he attains the points, and $$.

Rocket River and roslolian like this.
  4. thedude077

thedude077 Member

That is an "if"..... Anyways, a healthy Dwight will still not change anything, he is still a mental midget. He is head ache and a chemistry killer. Healthy or not healthy, he wouldn't have made a difference in whatever team he goes, he will ruin their chemistry. Dwight is delusional he should retire.

5. malakas

malakas Member

Yeah but I talked only about his trade value which was brought up yesterday due to Arnowitz article. He can bring back a late first same as guys like Belinelli did. All it needs is the right GM and the right team that will need a center, have capspace and are desperate. For example Indiana if they try to keep George.

6. Joseph Ho

Joseph Ho Member

The problem with Dwight Howard and why I am so glad he's no longer in Houston is because he failed to understand his limitation. The issue with Howard and its becoming more apparent is he only wants to win on his terms. At this point in his career, it is pretty damning that he can't seem to understand how his limitations can hinder his team.

The main reason why Dwight Howard has issues in LA and Houston is because of his egocentric mindset. Dwight can never be successful in the NBA because he is unable to make the sacrifices needed for the betterment of the team. Regardless of the facts and datas that is presented to him, he will continue to disregard it or deny it in some sort of manner.

Part of the problem with Dwight is that he is unable to be a professional. When things doesn't go his way, his effort level drops. He talks about how much he cares about winning but yet only wants to win if its fitting for him. During this year's playoffs, Dwight was outplayed and out-hustled in every conceivable way.

31 years old and in his 13th NBA season, Dwight Howard still thinks of himself first before the team. Now on his 4th team in 6 seasons, Dwight Howard still fusses and pouts over touches. At this stage in his career, Dwight Howard still is unable to make the sacrifices needed for his team to make the jump. In his mind, he thinks he is still a Superstar and want the same role he had in Orlando.

Not too many NBA teams are willing to take in a 31 year old declining player who has problems with every team he's been on, only to have to cater to him and keep him happy in order for him to play with a little effort.... Even though his offense is nonexistent, horrible free throw shooter, lazy and undisciplined defensive player who is average defensively at best.

7. riko

riko Member

Dwight coward will be out of the league in 2 to 3 years at max

8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Dwight is a good guy and a VERY good basketball player. He just can't see that there are many ways to win, and that insisting on trying to win his way is detrimental to the pursuit of a team goal. It's a common problem in the NBA, in any workplace and in the world in fact. The real frustration stems from the expectations. If Howard was a 2nd round pick, his career would be considered a miracle even with his stubborn/playful personality.

People make mistakes. He made bad choices in his career. If he were winning with the Warriors, the media would be falling over themselves talking about how his playful personality brings positive energy to his team, and how his persistence has paid off. It's all about perspective. I wish him the best. He's lost, and he's been lost for a while. That's not hate-worthy. You pat him on the back and he goes his way and you go yours. I hope he joins a team with a coach/system/team strong enough to make a dramatic change to his motivation. It would be a great story.

slothy420, jevjnd and roslolian like this.
  9. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

malakas likes this.
  10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Os Trigonum and Zboy like this.
  11. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

or he could just not give a crap given that he can pay off any fine they give him.

12. tinman

Supporting Member

This still looks bad . Plus they towed his car and he gets bad press. People will think he's a spoiled athlete driving around without regard for rules.
    Like when Andrew Bynum parked in handicap

13. thegreatdantoni

suspended registration at 2 am driving 30 over and you get a warning... must be nice...

14. BackdoorHarden

No big deal. He's Dwight. He's above the law. What's a $200 fine when you made over $200 millions???

That's like fining you or I fifty cents. Fifties centz

15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

It's a big deal b/c it shows he didn't care about the playoffs. His team wasn't getting swept, and he's out screwing around that late at night, driving recklessly (technically, given the speed).

He's still just a big overgrown kid. This whole thing, with the lack of basic citizenry on his paperwork, etc, doesn't bode well for his post-NBA life. Ugh.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  16. Juxtaposed Jolt

He only averaged 8p/10r in the Washington series? Wow. What happened to the guy? He carried a team of scrubs to the finals, like, 8 years ago.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

Hakeem and Yao respected the law

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I mean... if you have the money to just throw at the problem to make it go away if it comes up I can see it... getting registration & insurance is a hassle. Easier to just not bother. If you get ticketed, oh well, it's pee-pee money to him.

Bev wont even bother to get an EZ Tag. Hassle.

19. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

if they left the way dwight did, working disinterested, and complaining about his role, those coworkers you left behind will undoubtedly badmouth you. dwight was good in the beginning, but he left on a bad note. that's not the guy we thought we had, but its ultimately who he is. all the stuff we defended dwight for, before he got here, he turned into. they were right about him.

i wonder where are all the dwight defenders now?? complaining about his role....again!! haha this is clockwork for dwight. its no secret our guys get along so well now, makes you think what was holding them back. if you can praise him for his good years, why can't we criticize him for his crappy years?

20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wonder If he would be blocking 4.0 shots PER36 like Clint is right now.

(Nope. He was blocking 1.1 shots PER36 in the playoffs this year)

#880 RudyTBag, May 9, 2017
    Last edited: May 9, 2017