1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2016-17] Dwight Howard as an Atlanta Hawk

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Jul 1, 2016.

1. omgTHEpotential

Can we just act like last season never happened please? Everyone was **** during that year. Dwight knew he wasn't going to stay in Houston during those 5 playoff games. Also, 5 games is a non-sample, especially from a guy who's already checked out mentally. He was the Rockets' best player in the 2014-15 playoffs though.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Let us see what this year holds. If we do not perform well enough, we will know Dwight was an anchor in the playoffs.

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

don't have to wait breh. dwight showed up in the playoffs 2 years ago. if we perform well this playoffs, it won't deminish what dwight did

4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dwight Howard / James Harden article by David Aldrich:

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/02/06/morning-tip-dwight-howard-finding-way-atlanta-hawks

Dwight Howard, Rockets happy with success they've found apart from each other
    Neither Howard nor ex-teammate James Harden hold ill will about failed pairing in Houston
    [​IMG]
    David Aldridge TNT Analyst

@daldridgetnt

Feb 6, 2017 10:54 AM ET

He’d never been to the Super Bowl.

“Two of my favorite teams, and my hometown team is in it,” Dwight Howard said Thursday. “I was like, I’ve got to go this year. From just being here, it’s been crazy. I know the Finals was crazy, but this is it. This is unbelievable. I’ve got tickets. We’ll be down on the field before and after the game, so it’s an opportunity of a lifetime. This is amazing.”

Somehow, over the years, Howard became a New England Patriots fan. And, this season, his hometown Atlanta Falcons were in the big game. So Howard flew himself and a few Atlanta Hawks teammates back to Houston, where they’d staged one of the NBA season’s most ridiculous comebacks just 72 hours earlier in coming from 20 down in the fourth to beat the Houston Rockets behind Tim Hardaway, Jr.’s incredible performance, to watch Super Bowl 51 at NRG Stadium.

The sights, the sounds of a championship on the line … they were familiar to Howard, now 31 and almost eight years removed from his first -- and, only -- Finals appearance. Back then, he had suspension bridge cables for legs and inhaled most every shot in a 12-block radius, a three-time Defensive Player of the Year who destroyed opponents from the inside out.

Now? He’s still in great shape. He’s still capable of “Superman” moments, like the 24-point, 23-rebound clubbing he put on the Rockets Thursday. But the game has changed dramatically. Even though the Stan Van Gundy-coached Magic were one of the first teams in the modern era to truly use the 3-pointer as a weapon by surrounding Howard with shooters like Rashard Lewis at the stretch four, today’s teams dwarf the 3-point attempts Orlando shot back then.

The future is in Houston, where Howard’s former teammate, James Harden, is orchestrating a nightly fusillade of 3-pointers.

But the future is still never promised, to anyone.

“Man, this is just an unbelievable experience for the Falcons and for a lot of those guys,” Howard said. “So if there was one piece of advice I could give them, I’ve been to the Finals before, but I haven’t been back. And I would love to go back every year. But it doesn’t happen that way. So take advantage of the moment, and enjoy it. But at the same time, don’t say ‘well, we can get back.’ Don’t say, ‘well, next year, it could be better.’ This moment is the only moment that matters.”

That this was all happening in Houston was just Fate showing off.

Last week was Howard’s first time returning to Houston since he left the Rockets last summer and signed a three-year, $70.5 million deal with the Hawks. His departure from Houston ushered in the full flowering of GM Daryl Morey’s vision of four-out, one-(barely) in basketball, centered around coach Mike D’Antoni’s offense and Harden’s wizardry with the ball. The Rockets have been an offensive juggernaut en route to a 37-17 record, with Harden on the shortlist for MVP this season as Houston has become a legit title contender.

Howard came to Houston himself, of course, looking for that championship in 2013, leaving a contentious relationship as a member of the Los Angeles Lakers with Kobe Bryant (and D’Antoni, not Howard’s first choice to coach him) to play with Harden, Chandler Parsons and Jeremy Lin.
    more at the link

5. Rox11

Rox11 Member

6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i am amazed how much he improved in atlanta
    at least in his game in houston

1 no obligatory offensive interference a game
    2 no obligatory offensive fouls
    3 no obligatory turnovers trying to postup
    4 no obligatory goaltending a game( when the ball has no chance in hell of going in anyway)
    5 no clumsy postups
    [​IMG]

7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

no, this is not a logical deduction, think better and sharper

roslolian likes this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Only for those who doubt. Dwight numbers showed otherwise. A playoff hero on the one hand.

He was one of the culprits for the abysmal season on the other hand, and Harden's TO too one season ago. That was clear as well.

#688 daywalker02, Feb 9, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  9. roslolian

roslolian Member

Lots of guys failed the rox last year, including james harden. Why does there have to be a single scape goat and not just say everybody screwed up last year? If ur gonna blame Dwight why not blame Harden, Morey and Mchale as well?

Dwight gave Houston its first WCF appearance since Hakeem, thats like 20 year drought. He's been tried and tested in the playoffs.

FTW Rockets FTW likes this.
  10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Lol, what I took from this...

11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yep, I caught that too. very telling. :eek:

heypartner likes this.
  12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Did not see that. That's awesome. So Bev

"Deserves its own thread." said heypartner, forcefully, according to several witnesses. "I'm serious."

Os Trigonum likes this.
  13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Maybe he should have worried less about Dwight and more about.... TIM HARDAWAY. Mwuahahahaha.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

What are your expectations for 31-year old Dwight?

Shaq: As a big man, he still has something left. I wish they'd utilize him more.

Kenny: 38 & 10 again?

Shaq: Run the tape. Big man running the floor, (Shaq & Chuck: ) GIVE IT TO HIM! On the other hand, when you run your play, demand the ball & go to work. Stop dicking around. Dwight, duck in! When you catch it, go to work.

Kenny: What year is this? 13 years, you're saying the same thing.

Shaq: You're right.

Kenny: At some point, this is who he is.

Shaq: Duck in & shut the hell up.

Richie_Rich and JayGoogle like this.
  15. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Shaq is like a 3 years old and can't never let go because those years when Dwight was clearly better than him while doing it at Orlando.

That's really pathetic.

Being said that, Dwight is done for being an impact player in his current stage. The Hawks are sitting him down in crunch time more often, not really his fault but that's the new trend of small ball and versatile style of the league had been transforming to.

He is still a solid player but his impact on the game is fading.

16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

come playoffs youll change your mind...playoffs dwight is a beast

basketballholic likes this.
  17. the shark

the shark Member

Sure isn't a "beast" shooting free throws!!

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I don't get why the conversation ALWAYS leans towards offense with Dwight.
    1. Dwight has never been great on offense.
    2. Post play is no longer a priority for most NBA teams.
    Stop having the same conversation about his offense. It's irrelevant. His impact on defense and rebounding is still great. How do people (including Dwight I guess) not understand this yet?

19. MadRocketsGamer

20. BackdoorHarden

He had 19 rebounds tonight and it was like he wasn't even in the game. He's the most ineffective Double Double guy out there. They were better without him.

he never switched and let the Warriors shoot wide open 3's. It's no wonder the Hawks are last in defending the 3's when your Center doesn't bother to help guard