1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016-17 Depth Chart

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Oct 24, 2016.

1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I'd say the minutes will be distributed something like this...

Capela 28/Nene20/Onuaku/Harrell
    Anderson 30/Dekker 15/Ariza 3/Wiltjer
    Ariza 28/Brewer 13 / McDaniels 7
    Harden35/Gordon32
    Beverley27/Brown 1/Ennis 1

#21 RV6, Oct 25, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  2. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I don't know that our depth chart is as meaningful as a 9 man roster, because I don't see our backup PG's (Ennis, Brown) getting minutes, but I'll do both.

Depth Chart
    PG: Harden/Ennis
    SG: Beverley/Gordon
    SF: Ariza/McDaniels
    PF: Anderson/Harrell (or D-Mo)
    C: Capela/Nene

9 man roster
    Guards: Harden, Gordon, Beverley
    Forwards: Ariza, Anderson, McDaniels, Harrell (or D-Mo)
    Centers: Capela, Nene

- I don't think McDaniels is our backup 3 now. Due to injuries we don't know where they like him best but we do know they like him. Still he will need to beat out Brewer for those minutes. I think he will.

- In each situation I see Harrell as our backup 4 if D-Mo doesn't sign here, with Ariza possibly ending games at the 4 depending on match-ups. Maybe he's not our backup 4 yet but I expect he will be eventually if we don't keep D-Mo. And he will see minutes at center. I think Dekker may beat him out for backup 4 and in my original lineups I'd forgotten Harrell and had Dekker as backup 4. I expect Dekker to get minutes.

- Regarding D-Mo: Of course with things so up in the air we're as likely to S&T as to keep him. While one would like to think we'd get a rotation player in a S&T, no other team seems to want him enough to have even offered to beat the 4.4 mil The Rockets offered, so I don't think getting a rotation player is likely. Maybe we get some picks or a project in return but I don't see D-Mo garnering more than that in a trade unless there are other players involved.

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

^^ Dmo will really clutter up the 4/5 spots...something definitely has to be done, if he comes in, like trading one or two of those guys for a better back up PG.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Better than Beverley? I see roster weakest at wing with Harden playing point once he is back.

5. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I think Brown or Ennis will play until Bev gets back. Probably Brown.

Brewer not in the rotation.

McDaniels and Dekker both in the rotation.

6. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Week 1
    Starters
    C - Capela (this could changed based on match ups, but do expect the kid to get more PT early on)
    PF - Anderson (he has an underrated post game, think he will have a great season this year)
    SF - Ariza (his defense is diminishing, and his shooting is streaky; he still is a pro and competes..)
    SG - Gordon (not sure what role is better suited for Gordon; I really think he would thrive well as the 6th man.)
    PG - Harden (Must get his TO under control...He really must value the rock more this season)

Bench
    C - Nene (Smart, savvy vet, and barring injuries will be a solid player for this team)
    PF - Wiltjer (Dont think he will be released. Pure shooting bigs are really hard to find, but he is also basketball savvy.)
    SF - Dekker (Looks healthy and showing why he was a 1st round pick; would be
    SG - McDaniel (Cant expect him to create, but man his atheleticism is going to be huge for this team; streaky shooting)
    PG - Ennis (Letting go of Prigioni was obviously a very tough decision for the Rockets, but Ennis' spot isnt locked in stone...could be waived once Donatas returns/if he returns?)

3rd
    C - Onauku (DLeague for most of the season)
    PF- Harrel (hopefully makes the leap this year and can find ways to be productive on the defensive end first)
    SF - Brewer (hope someone buys him a new pet goat, and a new shot; where is that guy who dropped 50 on our team a few years back?)
    SG - Brown (Brown has international experience and can also create his own shot; this is the kinda move Morey makes that may pay out during the course of the season)
    PG - Beverley (DNP; Think he plays best along side Harden as a starter once he is healthy)

??? - Motiejunas (players with contract disputes often struggle without a good preseason. Donatas hasnt really had any...Conditioning will be a HUGE issue for him if he does return.)

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Bev isn't the back up pg. Harden is still SG despite what the media wants to report.

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Coach says Harden is PG. Harden is playing point in all respects except defense....but that is true wherever you play him. When Beverley is back, Ennis won't be playing.

9. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Hardens been listed as SG every game so far. Dantoni said "points guard" and said it gave them (the media) something to write about. he even said his role has hardly changed. Still a SG. Just like Lebron is still a SF despite being the cavs pg.

10. OTMax

OTMax Member

Ennis getting back up minutes according to latest Chron article, so expect 15-20 at PG from him..

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

So what you are saying is that KJM was the PG the game he started? Gordon...despite averaging barely over 2 assists per game is the PG?....Harden's role hardly not changing was meant to mean that he was already doing a lot of PG stuff prior to this year. The name change to PG is irrelevant as Harden is still doing the same things from an on court perspective.

Whatever you want to say, the Rockets back court will be Harden, Gordon, Beverley, and maybe some KJM when all healthy. To improve the "PG" position even assuming Harden isn't the PG, you are going to need someone better than Beverley. If Harden isn't a PG, Beverley is the only "PG" that is going to play crucial minutes when he's healthy.

To improve the wing, you need someone better than KJM and/or Brewer. I may be in the minority, but while I like KJM's potential (which may or may not be realized if can't shoot better)....I'd prefer Beverley on the court than them and there are a lot more wings better than KJM than PGs better than Beverley that are attainable.

12. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

13. finsraider

finsraider Member

Until Beverley gets back...

Harden (36) / Gordon (12)
    Gordon (20) / McDaniels (14) / Ennis (14)
    Ariza (28) / Brewer (20)
    Anderson (30) / Dekker (12) / Ariza (6)
    Capela (24) / Nene (24)

My guess is McDaniels gets as much time as Ennis to get some defense on the floor in Beverley's absence.

After Beverley gets back...

Harden (35) / Gordon (13)
    Beverley (28) / Gordon (14) / Ennis (6)
    Ariza (28) / Brewer (20)
    Anderson (30) / Dekker (12) / Ariza (6)
    Capela (24) / Nene (24)

Guard rotation effectively shrinks to 3.

If DMo signs...

Harden (35) / Gordon (13)
    Beverley (28) / Gordon (14) / McDaniels (6)
    Ariza (32) / Brewer (16)
    Anderson (30) / DMo (18)
    Capela (24) / Nene (20) / DMo (4)

With DMo's offense and playmaking, we won't need minutes from Ennis. We're able to shrink minutes from the worst rotation player (Brewer) since we likely wouldn't need to play small ball with Ariza at the 4.

14. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Harden played point last year too......the media just jumped on MDA saying it because they assumed it was a different role for Harden because it's a different coach. Same role, but a new system.

So when i say we need a better back up PG, I'm not referring to better than Beverley. He's the starter. I mean someone better than Brown and Ennis.

Look at it this way...Bev, Gordon , and Harden will split 96 minutes available at the guard spots, right? That's the plan, regardless of who plays what guard spot...but one of them goes down and we're forced to play brown and/or ennis significant minutes. that's not good...that's what is happening right now...all 3 can play SG if necessary, but only Harden can really run the offense..so we need a back up PG who can pass, in case Harden misses time. Gordon or Bev go down and we can still make it work, not without Harden.