1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016-17 Depth Chart

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Oct 24, 2016.

1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Capela/Nene/Harrell/Onuaku
    Anderson/Dekker/Wiltjer
    Ariza/McDaniels/Brewer
    Harden/Gordon
    Beverley/Brown/Ennis

More or less? i guess Nene can still start. I'm a little concerned with the lack of playing experience in our back up spots though.

2. finsraider

finsraider Member

Rotation

Harden / Gordon
    Beverley / Brewer
    Ariza / McDaniels
    Anderson / Wiltjer
    Capela / Nene

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Please tell me we won't go into the season with a ball hogging 31 year old guy who can't defend or shoot?

Yes I know Harden likes him. Harden liked Beasley too. Pick up RJ Hunter or Archie Goodwin on the off chance they might become something but please let's not have Brown chucking it off the bench.

D-rock and Crashlanded19 like this.
  4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Just depends if he's ahead of Ennis on the depth chart or not

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

You don't think Dekker will be in the rotation?

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Don't the Rockets need an open roster spot to claim these guys?

8. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

I'm not down like a clown with Bobby Brown.

9. finsraider

finsraider Member

Not if Brewer and McDaniels are getting the backup wing minutes. Not enough shooting.

10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

If we're keeping Brown, then that's the roster spot I'm talking about.

Most realistic scenario though (I think) is we keep Brown for 2-3 weeks then waive him and sign D-Mo when Beverley is close to returning.

11. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i think the depth chart currently looks like:

nene-capela-onuaku
    ryno-harrell-wiltjer
    ariza-dekker-brewer
    gordon-mcdaniels-ennis
    harden-brown- (INJ) beverley

3 problems stand out to me:

1) the inexperience (youth) of the entire bench - capela, harrell, dekker, kj, we need at least 2 of these guys to bring it every night in order to have a chance in the playoffs.
    2) the fragility of the starting lineup - nene, ryno, and gordon can all miss 20 games leaving those young guys to step in and become starters too soon.
    3) (obviously) we need a better set of PGs since beverley is always injured and brown/ennis suck.

Easy likes this.
  12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, that's about right. There's an overall lack of quality depth and a very fragile starting lineup. Things could look awesome when it all goes right and terrible when it doesn't. Of course Morey could boost the front court depth incredibly easily.....but he doesn't want to open up the piggy bank.

13. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I thought they agreed on grooming Dekker to be a 4 and possibly Harrell as a PF/C?

And Ennis is a pure point guard.

14. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

not bad for the 7-12th pick. good job morlay.

15. mightybosstone

I'm hoping the 9-10 man rotation to start the season will look something like this (minutes in parenthesis):
    PG: Harden (38) / Gordon (10)
    SG: Gordon (23) / McDaniels (20) / Brewer (5)
    SF: Ariza (32) / Brewer (12) / Dekker (4)
    PF: Anderson (32) / Harrell (10) / Dekker (6)
    C: Capela (28) / Nene (20)

I really don't want to see Brown or Ennis get minutes to start the season unless they just absolutely have to or games are totally out of hand at that point. And I think I'd probably be a little more inclined to give Dekker minutes over Wiltjer at this point because of his edge defensively and versatility at either forward spot.

16. StrawberryJamm

Gordon and McDaniels should get 100% of the minutes at SG next to Harden. I actually think starting KJ is the move, sets Gordon up to always be in the game when Hardens sits and get more time guarding backup PG's than starters.

Gordon and KJ together in the back court won't work, gonna need Ennis or Brown to play with Gordon when Harden sits.

Hate to say it but Ariza is our best option to backup Anderson at the 4. I like a Harden/Gordon/KJ/Ariza lineup at 1-4 that can switch everything when Anderson sits.

I would also start Nene and bring Capella off the bench but doubt that happens.

Want to see big minutes for Harden, Ariza, Anderson, Gordon, and KJ. NeNe and Capela splitting time. 12 minutes max for one of our bad backup PG's and spot minutes for Harrell or Dekker.

I choose to ignore the reality that Corey Brewer will probably be the primary backup for all 5 positions.

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Rotation
    Harden (28) Ennis (20)
    Gordon (31) Harden (7) McDaniels (10)
    Ariza (35) McDaniels (13)
    Anderson (35) Dekker/Harrell? (13)
    Capela (24) Nene (24)

I don't have a good feel for how MDA will a lot time in the regular season. I can see Brewer and McDaniels fighting for a spot, but I think MDA may have KJM above Brewer. Who is backing up the 4 seems fuzzy to me at the moment. I think Harrell gets more run at center, but not sure at who's expense...or maybe he just rides the pine. Will Dekker get PT at the SF?

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

This roster is not set so depth chart could change soon or at least by Trade deadline. If anything, Wiltjer and Onuaku (still shaking my head that there are so many scrubs (Ennis, BB, Nanu) on the 15) are sure to spend a lot of time with Vipers.

If Ennis is not traded or D-Mo signed then the short term game rotation is likely as follows:

Beard/Ennis/*Bev (injured)
    EGo/KJ/BB
    Ariza/Brewer
    Ryno/Harrell/Dekker
    Capela/Nene

Rockets can't afford either Harden or Gordon to go down for any length of time. Their respective backups reek.

19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

If you have McDaniels and Ennis playing 20+ minutes in your rotation, we are not going to be a good team.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

That is super thin - it looks like to me....yikes.

DD

JJWhat? likes this.