1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2016-17] Chandler Parsons as a Memphis Grizzly

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tmactoyao, Jul 1, 2016.

1. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Gonna DBag it up in Memphis Tenn!

2. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I don't know if he's self-aware

3. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Parsons always talks big, dude has an over-inflated ego but can't back it up on the court. Memphis fans will get tired of him by the all star break. Come to think of it Parsons and Morey are two peas in a pod, both guys talk the talk but don't walk the walk.

4. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Lol he calls himself a big name agent

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Wow, is he really their first ever "big name" FA?

Was Zach traded there or did he sign there as an FA?

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We had a chance to lock him up as a RFA - could have gotten a multiyear deal for less, but he played our org like a fiddle.

Good businessman and happy for him, he is better than any SF we have on the roster.

DD

7. dream2clips

dream2clips Member

Hmm insightful remark. So a SF paid 3.5x more, anually, than our current starting SF, and 1.5x our franchise player, is better than any SF on our roster? Eu-freggin-rika!

Ok, ty. Will file that away next to "Careful not to touch the Sun" Just above "Ice is cold" and just below "Dont Rub IcyHot on testicular sack".

8. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Thank god we didn't. He's been next to useless the last couple seasons.

9. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

Zach was traded there.

Parsons may not be too far off to be honest. I went through of a list of top Memphis Grizz players and the only big FA signing I saw was James Posey in 2003. Everyone else was either traded there or drafted by the Grizzlies.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

People are just jelly that the guy got paid, and played the Rockets in negotiations.

He is a good NBA basketball player, not all star but just below, may even make an all star game or two.

DD

11. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

At the time, I was very disappointed that we didn't bring him back... Looking back though, we really dodged a bullet considering his massive contract and injuries.

Same with Bosh

12. dream2clips

dream2clips Member

We get it, 2+2 = 4 andddd 3+1, also, = 4.

Again, he just signed a contract that pays him 1.5x our best player - a guy who finished 2nd in the MVP voting last year and offensively is a nearly inarguable juggernaut.

And yet, you're left to musings of 1) he's better than any SF on our current roster 2) he is a good NBA basketball and 3) he may make an all star game.

He literally just signed a max contract. You can tell us another 1,000 or so insightful musings which the rest of the world already has on default. Some suggestions:

4) He's taller than the average person 5) He can dunk 6) He's not retired.

Ultimately, your agenda is to highlight how Parsons got over on the Rox a few years ago. Sad to tell you, but now with the benefit of hindsight, you'll have to dig deep into the Morey-haters bin to find people wishing we'd have matched that deal or had him the past few years.

Saying things like a guy - who just got a max contract - is a "good" basketball player just oozes of "Duh!" and roots the rest of thoughts on the subject as debased and entirely insignificant.

13. Karolik

Karolik Member

still wondering how this guy got a max. even when healthy he wasn't a great player. suspect defense and an above average offense...

14. buffalobills!!!

Lol. What a douche

15. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

Parsons is overpaid, but stop with this paid 1.5x more than Harden crap. Harden got the max when he signed his contract, and will get his max again when he signs his next contract which will be higher than Parsons.

16. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

As an RFA, why would he have signed with us for less than the max he was offered?

Ariza has given us more the last 2 years than Parsons has given Dallas. I do not want a guy with a personality like his on the team anyway. I'm glad he's gone. He is massively overpaid.

17. dream2clips

dream2clips Member

I'd take your suggestion, except I feel it was a pillar of the stalemate between Parsons and the Rox. There are a handful of teams which felt Parsons was worth 15/m yr a few yrs ago and - as far as I know - only 1 willing to give him that crazy player option.

This past year, there were a few (>2 but <5) teams willing to offer him the max. Again, that's what makes it critical to the issue and to the contention that our roster misses Parsons. Well, no crap. I miss 900k/yr Parson's too. I sure as $hit don't miss 15mm/yr or 24mm/yr Parsons.

So, show me some validation as to why quoting it as 1.5x Harden isn't valid. I'm guessing every team, if they had the money, would max out Harden. And maybe 25% of the league, if they had the money, would max out Parsons.

So it's not just, 1.5x b/c of timing, it's 1.5x in a very practical sense. You're welcome to prove me wrong.....it's a longshot, but give it a try...

18. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yeah, a guy who is always wearing a suit in the playoffs and making 2x more Ariza is clearly better.

You know nothing DD :rolleyes:

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

LOL that's because DD doesn't take salaries into account, to him salaries don't matter because all it does is save Les Alexander money, and who cares about Alexander's money? So he'd rather pay Parsons 30M than pay Ariza 7M because Parsons is "better" than any SF we have...despite being a no show every year he was a Mav. You'd think if he was really all that the Mavs would resign instead of letting him walk away for nothing.

I don't know how someone can be on this board this long and not be aware of concepts like the salary cap and maximizing the dollar/production ratio of players. Maybe if Les Alexander has shown a history of paying luxury tax no matter what happens then, yeah ok I get it if you say salaries don't matter. But with an owner who clearly says the team's limit will always be the luxury tax, shouldn't salaries of players be the first concern?

20. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Are we just going to ignore the fact that it says 'Memphis Scores'. Grizzlies/Parsons troll game on 1000. Hope he does well there and stays healthy!