1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015 HCAD appraisals are released....

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by chow_yun_fat, Mar 25, 2015.

Tags:
  1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

My rental is worth about a 3rd of that and it still went up by 28K. :confused:

Something seem out of whack.

#21 ima_drummer2k, Mar 25, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  2. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

I agree with the above except it's not the HCAD who judge the protests but a panel of 3 of your peers. I've done two in person protests and presented my information against the HCAD representative towards the panel of 3 people. Won both times.
    Last year I used a company to fight for me and I lost and got hit with max 10%.

3. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

My old Condo, which is a rental right now went up 28% percent.

4. rudan

rudan Member

Mine went up on all of my rental properties. Yet the monthly rent stays the same :mad:

5. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

SOLD!

My guess is HCAD is trying to see how much more money they can make by arbitrarily pulling numbers out of their asses... because we all know most people would never protest, they just live with it and/or don't notice it.

HCAD is pulling the ol' Comcast Switcheroo!

I live in a condo and mine went up 54%! Freaking insane... it clearly isn't an accounting error as all of my neighbors had huge increases as well. Hell, now they have me contemplating not protesting and just selling my condo this year.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

They're trying to **** again.

7. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Same **** different year. Beyond ****ing ridiculous. 5 years in a row I've been hit with the max. Hate this ****ing city so much.

8. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Also hit with the max increase.

My Market Value didn't change, but my appraised value is so much lower than the market value, I'll be hit with the max increase for at least the next two years (not counting the current year).

9. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bought my house less than a year ago and they are trying to bump my value up several thousand dollars over what I just paid for it. Ugh.

10. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

This is an easy protest, just bring in your closing documents and you can drop that.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

too easy.

have a realtor print out a recent sales comparison to homes in your area that are similar to yours. That will squash it and then get your homestead.

12. Yonkers

3rd year in a row with 10% max for me too

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

My rental went up by 11K! Up to 140K. LOL...

I'm selling it as soon as the lease is up in September and I'll probably list it for 110K, which is comparable to all the other houses in the neighborhood....

Best company to protest with?

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Harris County is going to milk the last year they can before the market takes a plunge because of Oil and Gas. Inventory is steadily going up and severance pay is running out.

15. SuraGotMadHops

Up the max 10% for second year in a row. Protested the last two years. First year settled without a hearing, second year settled at informal hearing, maybe this is the year I go all the way to the formal hearing. Yipee.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

They should cut the jobs of whoever works for the government at the hearings and stop taxing that ass.

17. Yonkers

The hearing board actually consists of regular citizen volunteers. They listen to comp data/proof presented by an HCAD representative. And then they listen to your data. I've fought twice and won. Last 2 years I used a company to do it and got hit with 10% max both years. Just got hit with another year of 10% max and because it's too late, I'm giving that company one more chance. Next year I'm taking back the reigns.

18. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Glory to God I been spared!!! Last year I bought my house they bumped the appraised value by $100k!!! I paid more than what the appraisal was for, but man it sucked. This year value stayed the same.

19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Where do you live in Austin or Houston??

20. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Stayed the same for me... However, I noticed a home several houses down that's currently owned by the Feds. Time to inquire into the possible first property aquired by my real estate empire.