1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015 HCAD appraisals are released....

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by chow_yun_fat, Mar 25, 2015.

Tags:
  1. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Anyone have any pro tips on how to protest their values? My home jumped nearly $30k from 2014 to 2015.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Mine went up $56k, lulz.

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Same $30K. Ridiculous. It's above market value for me.

4. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i thought increased home values is a good thing. i suppose only if you're about to sell. would suck to have to pay the increased property tax.

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Property taxes.

6. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Interested in this as well.

Mine increased the max 10%, so even if I get them to decrease the Market Value, I'm wondering if that will get them to decrease the Appraised Value (which has the 10% cap).

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Seems like everyone I talk to got the 10% max increase. My rental property went up by 28K! I don't escrow, so I better kick up the savings quick! Definitely protesting this year....

What's going on, Lieutenant Dan? I thought you were going to save us all from high property taxes?

8. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

also got around a 10% increase. I didn't protest last year but two years in a row of increases then it is worth a shot. It will be hard to justify though since lessor houses in the neighborhood are going for more.

Has anyone ever used one of those companies that negotiates on your behalf?

9. Nero

Nero Member

I have tried to tell you guys over the last couple of years about this den of thieves known as HCAD.

It is sheer corruption that they are both the ones who set your appraisal value AND are the ones who get to do the judging when you protest their outrageously-high appraisals.

It is pure robbery, and no one in any position of power or authority does anything about it.

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Yep, 10% for me too.

Sucks.

11. Nero

Nero Member

Yes, I have used one of those companies for two straight years, with zero results.

Let me put it this way: HCAD has clearly incorrect information on my home's appraisal - they have it listed at over 1,00 square feet larger than it actually is - and yet, even with this slam-dunk information, even the professional appraisal-protester legal companies get no results.

HCAD has decided they are going to shake down the population of the entire county, and they don't give a flying you-know-what about accuracy or fairness or due process.

So.. good luck.

12. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

My taxes increased 10% too. Its my first increase since buying the place in 2003, so i don't mind.

13. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Grr, mine went up 54%!

#13 Svpernaut, Mar 25, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Hmm... mine went up over 10% + repairs. WTF? In College Station I just walk into a building with a bunch of old bozos, show them some pics and get my **** reduced. Annise wants me to ride a fixed gear bicycle to City Hall and eat at a food truck for lunch or something?

15. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

They still have mine as pending. Hope it doesn't go up too much!

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Mine up 15%.

17. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

The appraisal should include a link that gives you the comparables they use to up your value. Drive by and take pics of them and then take pics of your place. You can google and find what the comps sold for as well. State your case for why the ones with a higher value have things your house doesn't have, any why your house is more in-line with lower value properties. Use the pictures and descriptions from when those houses were on the market (ie if a home sold and it's description said "granite counters" and you don't have that, etc).

When you go in the first time you will be assigned someone, and you may get someone cool who will just cut you a break. That has happened to me around half the time I went in to protest. If not, then you go before the board and take them all of that info.

18. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

From the HCAD Website:

So, if yours is over 10% - protesting should be simple. I'm guessing they just wanted to see how many people wouldn't notice.

Also, you can now protest online (https://owners.hcad.org)... so no need to go in anymore.

19. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

I protested mine last year. It was an easy win though, it was a new house and they over-estimated the size of my house by like 300 sq feet. It was a really easy process for me. Took half a day off.

Before the official protest, you meet with something there at HCAD and bring supporting evidence. If you cannot agree there then it is a more formal "hearing".

Since mine was pretty open and shut case, everything was resolved during the first meeting. Very informal. Dude was really cool too. Took about 30-45 minutes after he saw me and then i headed out.

no homestead exemption? if you max it at 10% increase and you still got it raised $30k. You're house would then be over $300.

cleverly disguised "my house is better than yours" thread. :rolleyes:

On a serious note. I will be checking mine.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Homeowners should get the option to keep their house or forfeit it to the city for 7.5% under their appraised value.