1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015: Clowney

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rocket River, May 8, 2015.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

2. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Spin moves wreak havoc on the knees. For now he's keeping it simple but effective. He's using his strengths well. The rest will come once he's 100%

3. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Between Clowney, Mercilus, Wilfork, and McKinney, there's not much fault you can put at the doorstep of the front 7. The pass rush is obviously lacking, but those 4 are trying their damnedest to pull this defense up by the bootstraps. Clowney has been an absolute beast stopping the run so far. Here's hoping he can feast on Luck this Sunday. I want to see him have a multiple sack day.

4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

very first play in this clip, watch Vikings #63 go down when he tries to stop Clowney

5. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

nice collection of Clowney clips from MIN game

Rodman23 likes this.
  6. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Clowney is living up to the hype now. The young fella is a monster out there.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...y-drawing-double-teams-and-praise-in-houston/

Jadeveon Clowney drawing double teams, and praise, in Houston

Posted by Michael David Smith on October 17, 2016, 6:10 AM EDT
    [​IMG]Getty Images
    In his first two NFL seasons, Texans defensive end Jadeveon Clowney was a bit of a disappointment as the No. 1 overall pick in the draft. This year, things are different.

Clowney hit Andrew Luck twice, was in on a tackle behind the line of scrimmage, finished with three solo tackles and was all over the field as a constant threat to the Colts’ offense as the Texans won last night.

“I think Clowney just – I think he’s very disruptive,” Texans coach Bill O’Brien said after the game. “I really think that he’s coming into his own. People ask me a lot about moving positions. He plays all over the front. If you really study the tape and you know what you’re looking at then you can see him in about four or five different positions. I think he’s a very active player. He loves to play the games. He wants to do well for his teammates. He’s really come into his own this year. He’s a very difficult guy to block.”

Clowney was finding himself double-teamed regularly by the Colts, but he said he enjoyed that because it was freeing up his teammates to make tackles.

“Other guys are making plays,” Clowney said. “That’s why we depend on all the guys – not just me. On this team, we’ve got a lot of playmakers, a lot of guys that are good players that came out here and played a good game today and finished.”

In the absence of J.J. Watt, Clowney is emerging as one of the keys on a Texans defense that is carrying Houston to the top of the AFC South.

8. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Perhaps Watt getting hurt has been good for Clowney's individual development. No longer can he just hide behind Watt and coast. Now the spotlight is on him and he has to perform or else people will criticize him a lot more.

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Clowney beasted last night. If that guy shows up every week this defense is going to be fun as hell to watch.

10. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Several obvious holds on him as well

11. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

After getting all this practice at being double teamed, when Watt comes back he will be even more of a force opposite Watt.

12. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

He has been doing it all year. He is the player I look at on every defensive snap and it takes an army to stop him.

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

15. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

He's been fun as hell to watch all season. Here's hoping he can get after Siemian on Monday.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Where would the Texans be right now without Clowney?

17. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

According to some of the posters here, sitting pretty with a better QB and a couple extra draft picks that could have turned out better. We could have had Blake Bortles or Johnny Manziel! Or of course Teddy and Derek Carr... Funny how hindsight only seems to find the draft picks that we could have gotten that turned out well.

18. conquistador#11

And merciless on the opposite side. Clowney has been the most impressive defensive player from that draft this season. And he has jokes too, "I finally got whitney to say thank you." Clowney on making whitney's sack possible.

Got to love the outsiders (and some of our fans.) that can't remove themselves from their preconceived analysis, like chris collinsworth saying over and over how clowney is being pushed back and not making impact.

Benadrick too. He misses a few tackles every now and then but he's been amazing for his second year. Probowl worthy numbers for an MLB.

19. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Everyone compares Clowney and Mack since that was the same draft... But this year, we have Clowney (beating Mack) as well as McKinney

McKinney: 29 tackles 3 sacks 1FF
    Mack: 18 tackles 2 sacks

They are the same position so it's an even better comparison. I think we came out on top. But they got Derek Carr too, so I guess they won :rolleyes:

20. jbasket

jbasket Member

Guys, it's not 2015 anymore. I know we are all in denial of Watt's injury, therefore this years existence, but why don't we start the recovery process with a 2016 Clowney thread?

houstonstime likes this.