1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014 Astros Draft Pick Tracker

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Jun 7, 2014.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I honestly I think the Astros are at a point where they just don't give a f**k what people think.

Everybody hates them, if even able to watch the games few do, very low attendance numbers and the MLB product is still very bad. Are people gonna stop going to the games they already weren't going to ?

If the Astros start winning and get on TV people will be crazy about the team like they were back in the day, regardless of what they do now.

2. vince

vince Member

But did the Astros do a physical on Marshall. What if he has health issues too? Marshall has talked like he was never intent on playing elsewhere but LSU.

I am fairly certain he had to have, if he has a contract to sign contingent Aikens is signed as well.

A redo next year would be much preffered. As it is Aikens chance of reachong the majors just went down significantly. And like Lunhow said, this is the 1-1 pick in the majors, you dont play around with that pick.

3. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

what's the deadline time? anyone know?

4. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

5. Do WHAT?

Do WHAT? Member

4pm Central.

6. texans1095

texans1095 Member

4 pm CT

7. bdb

bdb Contributing Member

In general, I like what Luhnow has done so far, but how does the GM of a major league baseball team schedule a vacation that runs during the signing deadline?

Is this some sort of bargaining tactic? Is that was why Bosh was in Ghana during free agency?

8. cardpire

cardpire Member

2 pm Pacific

1 person likes this.
  9. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

I think we will end up getting Aiken, Nix and Marshall today.

1 person likes this.
  10. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

I like your optimism, I'm hoping for the same.

11. vince

vince Member

I think the Astros would preffer that Aiken walk. By offering the absolute minimum, they are telling Aikens we really dont think your body will hold up.

And i doubt that Aikens will find a better deal in next years draft.

I think Lunhow taking a vacation says all of you have my best deal on the table. And only reason Aikens has a deal is to preserve next years #2 pick. At this point i dont think the Astros happy about his potential.

But in a redone draft Aikens might not get picked until the 2 or 3rd rounds. And have to settle for 2 or 1 million dollars. Its a bummer countin 6.5 million and then being told we are taking back 3+ million back.

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I guess Lunhow is vacationing somewhere that doesn't have internet or phones. Lucky guy!

13. Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin Member

The fact that there is no chance Aiken gets picked 1.1 again, meaning never having the opportunity at a bonus like this, along with everyone knowing he has a small UCL now is great leverage. I'm sure that margarita on the beach tastes pretty good.

Q: So what exactly is the deal with getting 2 of the top five picks next year if he doesn't sign? compensation? how does that work?

14. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/LSU?src=hash">#LSU</a> signee Mac Marshall has &quot;no comment&quot; on if Astros have contacted him. Source says situation is &quot;50-50.&quot; Story - <a href="http://t.co/akOIGYH6wA">http://t.co/akOIGYH6wA</a></p>&mdash; Ross Dellenger (@DellengerAdv) <a href="https://twitter.com/DellengerAdv/statuses/490171598788235265">July 18, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

15. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe if you offer the proper qualifying offer ($3.1 mil in our case) and the player rejects, you get your pick +1 next year. So we would get next years #2 pick, plus our real pick which most people peg to be in the top 5.

16. Nook

Nook Member

Phil Jackson did the same thing with the Carmelo Anthony recruitment. I also remember that Brian Cashman has done something similar.

In this day and age it isn't as big a deal as it used to be.

17. cardpire

cardpire Member

I'm with you. It doesn't seem like he has much of a choice.

18. Nook

Nook Member

Yup... the Astros would end up with 2 of the top 5 picks. The negative part is the press ripping the Astros, and losing out on Nix and Marshall this year, plus another year passing before getting an elite player in your system.

Honestly, Aiken has more to lose than the Astros.

19. cardpire

cardpire Member

With us having 2 picks in the top 5, and the almost non-existent possibility that he'd go 1.1 next year, he'd be placing an absolute asinine and unnecessary bet on himself being able to get more than the (at least) $3.1 mill that he has on the table right now. He'd be leaving himself an either 2 or 3 pick window, while throwing complete caution to the wind and praying that those other teams at the top of the draft have no concerns about his elbow, and banking on nothing adversely affecting him in the next year.

His hands are tied, it seems.

20. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just to be clear, it was Aiken's camp that brought his UCL issue out to the media, correct?

If so, He has nobody but himself to blame about a future team's skepticism regarding his health.