1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2013 Confederations Cup

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Beavis Stiffler, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Beavis Stiffler

It's already starting now.

Brazil won the opener over Japan 3-0.

Today, Mexico vs. Italy on either ESPN or Univision.

Group A: Brazil (Host), Mexico (2011 Gold Cup champion), Italy (2012 Euro runner-up), and Japan (2011 Asian Cup champion)

Group B: Spain (2010 World Cup & 2012 Euro champion), Uruguay (2011 Copa America champion), Nigeria (2012 African Nations Cup champion), and Tahiti (2012 Oceania champion)

Group A is definitely the "Group of Death" while Spain will have a easy road. I think only Uruguay is a threat to Spain in Group B. Italy got in because Spain won both the World Cup and Euro championships.

2. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Italy got cheated out of a PK early. They should be up 2-1.

3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Yesterday's game was pretty low quality, but expected that. Japan is having a down time these motnhs and Brazil has been garbage since WC 2010. Every big nation would absolutely crush Brazil right now, let's see if Scolari can aplly team spirit and form a cohesive unit.

Also, great goal by Neymar(he had a mediore game though, Oscar and Hulk were the highlights):

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JG6fcrwivLY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Italy-Mexico lookin good so far, Italy are top 5 in the world right now imo. Beautiful goal by Pirlo(his 100th game with Italy) and some great passes. Lookin forward to the 2nd half.

4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Sorry for the typos.

5. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Entertaining game here. That Pirlo free kick was masterclass.

6. rawool

rawool Member

Agreed, Good game so far. Getting a bit physical now.

7. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

GOAL!! Italy.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

We all want to see Mario's abs

9. The Stig

The Stig Member

Mexico playing bravely here, but Balotelli is always a class ahead of all of the Mexican defenders. No shame in being a goal down against an Euro finalist. UNLESS... 6 mins left.

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I love Pedro. It'd be a shame if Barca sells him.

11. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

Two of my favorite players scored today. Pirlo and Balotelli.

12. SexyButIgnorant

It almost seems unfair for Barcas young forwards. They have to crack the rotation of Neymar (one of the worlds best), Messi (the worlds best), Alexis (when he is in form he's a beast), Villa (ridiculous class and finisher), and Pedro (who is one of Spain's game changers)

13. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Balo & Pirlo are also my two favorite players but one has to wonder when the **** Super Mario's gonna mature.

You know taking your shirt off is a booking so why do you do it? Seriously it's the first game. & then he says "he didn't know" 2 bookings were a 1 game suspension for this certain cup when Pirlo also stated that HE TOLD HIM BEFORE THE GAME.

So stressful.

Anyway, this will come down to Italy vs Spain again.

14. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

bobmarley... isn't Pirlo like 75 years old?!?? One time Frank Sinatra came and sat in this chair and told me Pirlo was 137 years old! :p

That would be UNIVISION DEPORTES (cable) or UniMás (regular ch. 67.1 in Houston), not Univision. :eek:

Italy had a good squad and we (XICO) couldn't score. :( It's the same WOEs... that we can't finish a play... no one is shooting from distance, no one is executing their finish. Good thing a penalty kick kept us in the game and we held our own, but I'm expecting a good showing against Japan and hoping for a win versus hosts Brazil so they and Mexico move on. I hope Japan beats up on Italy.

#14 SwoLy-D, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  15. The Stig

The Stig Member

Tahiti will pull off a major upset today! I'll admit, I had to google where Tahiti's located. Nice to see a totally random team in cup competitions!

16. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Yeah just like they beat up Brazil. Japans only chance is if captain Tsubasa suits up and plays.

17. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Only one professional player on the squad, too (Marama Vahirua who is currently at Greek club Panthrakikos). Of the 23 players, Tahiti coach Eddie Etaeta said nine are unemployed, while others have day jobs as delivery boys, truck drivers, physical education teachers and accountants.

Tahiti set for debut

I just hope they don't get embarrassed. Playing Nigeria, Spain, and Uruguay...it could get real ugly real fast.

18. The Stig

The Stig Member

WTF Ref. Just cost the mighty Tahiti a goal!

19. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Tahiti about to show the world it's on Germany's level.

1 person likes this.
  20. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

TAHITI SCORES!