1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2013-14 NHL Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by dkamberi25, Oct 1, 2013.

1. dkamberi25

dkamberi25 Member

With the season about to kick off tonight, lets start talking hockey. This is going to be a crazy year not only because of realignment, but there are no favorites going into the season. Outside of maybe the bottom 5-8 teams in the league, a case can be made for just about any team this season. When I did my predictions a few weeks back I came to a Capitals/Sharks Finals, then a few days latter I looked at it and could not remember how I got there. While I still feel there aren't any favorites going into the season, there are teams who I view as front runners.

In the East I like:
    Penguins
    Bruins
    Red Wings
    Capitals

In the West I like:
    Blackhawks
    Blues
    Sharks
    Kings

On to my team. Crazy off season for the Avs who shook up their front office and coaching staff by bringing in former greats Roy and Sakic. They landed the top pick for their horrible 2013 season and while most thought they would go with defense and Seth Jones (biggest area of need), they went offense and took by most accounts the top prospect with an unbelievable ceiling in center Nathan MacKinnon. By taking MacKinnon the Avs set themeselves up with a fantastic core up front with Duchene, O'Reilly (if they hold onto him), Landeskog and MacKinnon. On defense the biggest addition was Cory Sarich which means unless guys like Erik Johnson, Barrie and other young defenseman step it up defense will still be an issue. I think the season for the Avs will come down to goaltending. Varlamov has been up and down during his time in Colorado but has shown he is capable of being a #1 goalie. If Varlamov can keep his play up I see the Avs fighting for one of the last 2 playoff spots in the West. If not than its probably another top 5 pick.