1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2011 Conference Realignment

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by RocketManJosh, Sep 27, 2011.

1. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Only a matter of time until the conference goes to 12, 14, & 16 :)

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I would think the opposite since since the big 12 teams now don't have to duke it out in a Conference championship game to get to the playoffs. Remember when OU when to the BCS title game after losing in the championship game to Kansas State?

3. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Well, they made it clear that aggressive expansion was coming in the future. Teams like Louisville and now FSU, Clemson seem to be wanting in. Expansion will build a stronger foundation for the conference in the long-term.

4. Major

Major Member

I don't see how FSU or Clemson joining the Big 12 helps them. The reason the ACC isn't making the national title game is that all their teams are mediocre at best. They haven't had a 0 or 1 loss team in the last decade. FSU and Clemson are amongst those teams - joining the Big12 doesn't fix their problems. If they could go 12-0 in the ACC, they'd have a good shot at the playoffs - they just don't seem capable of doing that. And if they can't dominate the ACC, they aren't going to dominate the Big12.

5. Major

Major Member

Shouldn't we also remember the time that USC was left out of the national title game because they didn't have a conference title game, leaving them without a marquee win on the final weekend to boost their rankings over OU or LSU? Had they gotten to play and beat #4 Cal in the final weekend, there's a good chance they would have made the title game.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I heard the very same tidbit from a guy who told me at the same time they were going to hire Bowlsby to be the new Big XII chief (looks like that came to pass). He tells me FSU and Clemson move to Big 12 will happen sometime in June/July.

Also heard the new Big 12 TV contract will be roughly $30 million/school.

7. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Found on another message board as well;

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

My argument is that the current teams don't benefit from expanding especially with an ACC school.

More money? Nope
    Better chance at the playoffs? Nope, because there are enough good schools in the Big12 to get them there if someone goes undefeated or loses one game.
    More prestige? Nope not with those schools.

The only way I see the big 12 expanding is for a big name school(both sports and academics) like Notre Dame.

9. Major

Major Member

I think this would depend on circumstances and how the playoffs are set up. This past year, if Oklahoma State had the opportunity to play in a conference title game against a reasonably good opponent, it would given them a great chance to jump over Alabama in another computer and with just a handful of voters and put them in the title game.

A title game gives a conference a chance to give their best team an additional big win that can make a big difference in the rankings. In a close race, that can be huge.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

OSU getting in over Alabama (the champs) isn't necessarily a good thing.

11. Major

Major Member

It is for OSU and the Big12, which is the topic of the discussion.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yeah, yeah, I was being a dick. I apologize on that one. Continue.

13. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

This is a financial move. FSU's athletic dept is facing a $2.4M shortfall this year. Clemson and FSU only make about $18M-$20M/yr in tv money in the ACC. Joining the Big XII, that number could reach up to $30M.

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Interesting (possible) move. I wonder how the conference would be set up, division wise...

North - OU, OSU, KU, KSU, ISU, WVU
    South - UT, TT, FSU, Clem, Baylor, TCU

That would seem to make the most sense. Keep the Texas schools together and add the newbies in FSU & Clemson.

OR

East - ISU, WVU, FSU, Clem, KU & KSU
    West - OU, OSU, UT, TT, TCU, Baylor

That makes it easier to maintain the yearly OU/UT game.

15. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I like the addition of those two teams. A bunch. I really wish Big 12 had kept it together, but given the shake up ,this isn't a half bad way to move forward.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yeah, solid adds actually.

17. Major

Major Member

From a logistics/travel standpoint, this by far makes the most sense. WVU, Clemson, and FSU should all be in the same division. And KSU, KU, ISU pretty much have to just be happy they are still in a major conference, so they'd have to go along with it.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...ish-john-marinatto-quits-amid-shift-landscape

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

RIP Commissioner Meatball

20. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Doesn't bode well for the Big East conference and UH.