1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2010 NBA draft, who to pick?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by rocketblaze, Aug 28, 2009.

?

2010 NBA draft, who goes #1?

1. John Wall

189 vote(s)
    86.3%
  2. Derrick Favors

14 vote(s)
    6.4%
  3. John Henson

3 vote(s)
    1.4%
  4. Ed Davis

2 vote(s)
    0.9%
  5. Other

11 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I will take any of those players on the Rockets next year...:)

2. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

My draft list...

1. John Wall
    2. Donatas Motiejunas
    3. Willie Warren
    4. Derrick Favors
    5. Cole Aldrich

Ed Davis would fall at #6.

3. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

4. Coherent

Coherent Member

Favor is my pick, not a big John Wall fan.

I'm hoping the Rockets get a guy like AJ Oglivy, Demarcus Cousins, or Micheal Washington

5. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

So you want the immature project big guy rather than the slick guard with maturity and leadership skills?

;)

Though I can't say I have heard much about Derrick Favors personality. Demarcus is a big kid... the first sign of something going wrong its going to be interesting to see how he reacts. Hopefully with John and Patrick around to keep him in line he won't have adverse effects to the team.

6. Coherent

Coherent Member

Depends who is drafting honestly. Say Memphis is drafting first, then sure they will go with Wall, but say a team like New Jersey picks first, then they will probably go Favors.

Honestly I'm not a huge Derrick Rose fan, who game is similar to John Wall. Sure 6'4 athletic guard don't come around that often, but neither do athletic big men.

7. Hayesfan

I was just giving you a hard time. There are very few big men that aren't projects, whereas occasionally you can find a good guard who is ready to go now.

I think it depends on what you want out of your draft pick.. Who would choose Oden over Durant today? Not many people. But I honestly think that Portland might still do it again. :)

8. MONON

MONON Member

I agree with you there. Portland had several draft picks and young talent. They could afford to take a flier on a solid young 7 footer.

9. freddyg956

freddyg956 Member

john wall is mr highlight, he will be darko part 2, davis is too slow, and henson is too scronny, he will be good but it will be a while, if you are looking for instant impact a la dwight howard, you take derrick hands down, he can defend, rebound, score around the basket, and for the rockets, thats exactly what we would need. wall is overrated, his basketball i.q. isn't high, and will be 3 yrs away before he develops..

10. Hayesfan

I disagree... every single report coming out of Lexington is that John has good bball IQ and is leagues ahead of where Rose and Evans were at this point in the DDMO

but time will tell... I will have lots of opportunity to watch him this season.

11. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Oh my, dudes first NCAA game...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3MqmMxvQrxM&hl=fr_FR&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3MqmMxvQrxM&hl=fr_FR&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

12. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

As a big UNC fan...

John Wall.

I don't think Davis or Henson are ready. I'm pretty disappointed in Davis so far - I expected him to take on the scoring load with the Big Three gone, but so far he seems content to be another piece to the puzzle. If I'm in lottery, I want the guy who wants the last shot and wants to dominate. I just don't see that in Ed Davis right now. Henson and Davis are both sticks, so they both could use some more seasoning. With Barnes coming in next year, if both stay, that should be a championship team.

John Wall.. is disgusting. Easily the #1 pick.. takes and makes the big shots. I think he could dominate the NBA right now.

13. joesr

joesr Member

like your set up

14. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Even if NO, GS, Boston, SA, Utah or Chicago get the first pick, they will take John Wall. You take the best player available.

15. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

I agree with that most of that color coding but your 2009 draft codings are a bit too premature. Blake has played like two games and ur calling him a star already, also Tyreke Evans has been one of the main reasons the Kings are not a basement dweller this season (9 wins already compared to 17 wins in TOTAL last season), he should be at least a green.

#35 LCII, Dec 11, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  16. jevon3012

jevon3012 Member

Ed Davis makes Stromile Swift look like Kimbo Slice

17. adoo

adoo Member

MARK HEISLER'S NBA COAST TO COAST

A preview of the 2010 NBA draft
    The Times' Mark Heisler makes his predictions for the top 10 picks. Kentucky's John Wall seems to have the No. 1 position locked up, but No. 2 could be any of four players.
    By Mark Heisler

December 20, 2009
    E-mail Print Share Text Size Feeling drafty already

I'm coming to you live from The Times' Draft Central, which we're not showing you because it's my office at home and I haven't picked up lately.

Not that this is a scoop, but a furious debate is already underway . . . as to who the No. 2 pick will be.

Forget No. 1. That's locked up.

1. John Wall, 6-4, 195, Fr., Kentucky. Imagine Kobe Bryant as a point guard at 17.

"I was sitting there with [a Western GM]," said another Western team official of Kentucky's Dec. 9 win over Connecticut in New York. "After five minutes, we just looked at each other and started laughing.

"If New Orleans has the top pick, they would take John Wall, even with Chris Paul. That's how good Wall is. You would just take him and then work it out later."

2. (tie) Al Faroug-Aminu, 6-8, 218, So., Wake Forest.

Would have been top 10 last season but went back, going from 13-8 as a freshman to 16-10.

2. (tie) Wes Johnson, 6-7, 205, Jr., Syracuse.

Here's a guy who is having an eye-popping season, a transfer from Iowa State who wasn't even on the radar when it started. While sitting last season out, turned himself from an undersized power forward to a prototypical small forward, averaging 17 points, shooting 59% and 54% on threes.

2. (tie) Derrick Favors, 6-9, 245, Fr., Georgia Tech.

Reputation pick this high now. Has huge upside, but some thought he could make it a contest for No. 1, but he's off to a merely solid start at 14 points and 8.8 rebounds a game.

2. (tie) Ed Davis, 6-10, 245, So., North Carolina.

Long and lithe, he got top-10 mention last spring and has raised his freshman numbers from 7-7 to 14 and 9.5.

More explosive than Brandan Wright, which is good since Wright hasn't turned the NBA on its ear. Just scored 21 points in Saturday's loss to Texas but looked like a little kid asking Texas center Dexter Pittman for his autograph

6. Evan Turner, 6-6, 205, Jr., Ohio State.

Vying for No. 2 until he fractured vertebrae in a fall. Compared to Joe Johnson and Brandon Roy as a big playmaking guard. Expected back in February.

7. Cole Aldrich, 6-11, 245, Jr., Kansas.

Admirers see Joel Przybilla with an offensive game. Skeptics see Przybilla, but not as athletic. Still the first center off the board at this point.

8. Solomon Alabi, 7-1, 260, So., Florida State

No one has him this high (ESPN's Chad Ford has him No. 12; NBADraft.net has him No. 6 on its 2011 mock draft) and he could get even higher.

Considered a more advanced Hasheem Thabeet, he's starting to shed his "project" label, averaging 19 points, 7.5 rebounds and 2.5 blocks in his last four games, going into today's meeting with Georgia Tech and Favors.

9. Xavier Henry, 6-6, 220, Fr., Kansas. More athletic James Harden. Not the playmaker Harden is, but an even better shooter, 25 for 45 on threes in first nine games.

10. Dexter Pittman, 6-10, 280, Sr., Texas. I had 7-0 Lithuanian small forward Donatas Motiejunas here until Saturday. NBA people have Pittman No. 20-35, but even if he's limited, this former 388-pounder is very wide and pretty athletic.

-- Mark Heisler

18. albuster

albuster Member

They all look big and can dunk, but can they shoot? Wingspan and athleticism are all good but do they have game?

19. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Based on where we would probably end up picking......that int'l star Donatas Motiejunas (or however you spell it) looks absolutely great to me. So so smooth on the court for a 7 footer. Great range it looks like too. He's got the Bargnani type of look to him, although not as good of a shooter, but a better ball handler. His potential blows me away....possible Gasol/Bargnani mix :eek:

20. cardinalwildcat

Shooting was a knock on John Wall before the season. He's obviously not a sharpshooter, but he has more than shown that he can knock down jump shots. I swear the kid shoots jumpshots during games when he can just go past his defender just to show that he can do it well for the NBA scout. He's shooting 44.4% from 3 and if you watched the UConn game (last 3-4 minutes), he obviously has the pull up/fadeaway jumper game as well. He's growing to be a complete player. He has the highlight reels, the court presence, IQ, and the awareness to be a terrific PG. What impresses me the most is that he plays confidently, but really is a good/humble guy. He even asked Calipari to lessen the interview load on him because he felt that it was a distraction and wanted more showcase on the team rather that on himself.