1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2004 Olympics, AI out, Franchise in?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HoRockets, Dec 17, 2002.

1. HoRockets

HoRockets Member

Iverson doesn't think he'll get elected to be on the Olympic team, so does Steve Francis have a chance? If not, who?

Associated Press
    Dec 16, 2002 9:18 p.m.
    PHILADELPHIA (AP)—
    Allen Iverson doesn't think he is going to be selected to the U.S. Olympic team for the 2004 Athens games.
    Speaking after the Philadelphia 76ers' 93-71 win over the Denver Nuggets on Monday night, Iverson expressed doubt about joining his coach Larry Brown as part of the national team.

"I've heard a lot of names of people who should be picked for the team and mine is never mentioned," said Iverson, who was named the league's most valuable player in 2000-01 when he led the Sixers to the NBA Finals. "Anyone in their right mind who has seen me play for seven years knows that wouldn't be fair."

Iverson added that he has already said it would be an honor to play but "I'm not going to beg them to put me on the team."

Even though Brown is the head coach, he does not make the final selections for the squad. Instead, the squad is chosen by a USA Basketball selection committee that includes Sixers general manager Billy King.

"I know if Coach could have me on the team, I would be there," Iverson said. "I have no doubt about that."

The first five or six members of the team are expected to be announced later this month, with another two or three players added by early February.

During his press conference, Iverson was wearing a vintage Boston Celtics jersey, one of the Sixers' most bitter rivals. The jersey was No. 6, a replica of one worn by Hall of Famer Bill Russell.

"Everyone was getting on me, saying Wilt (Chamberlain) would be turning over in his grave right now," Iverson said, referring to the former Sixer who is also a Hall of Famer. "I just respect the player. It had to be 33 (Larry Bird), 6 (Russell) or 17 (John Havlicek)."

2. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Steve won't be on the team.

3. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Nope. But strangely enough, every announcer and broadcaster loves his game.

Legler gave him alot of credit for diving on that final loose ball. He has alot of national respect, just not from the right people.

Mark Madsen or Jason Terry will be on that team before Steve.

4. spaceghost

spaceghost New Member

Purely this AI's agent talking, read between the lines he knows this news will be public and if it is any indication he knows the selection committee will be reading this.

I do not think Kobe deserves a spot for turning down the other games, why should the players who backed out be allowed to participate now.

Francis wanted to play in the goodwill games, he deserves a shot.

5. HoRockets

HoRockets Member

What resources are you guys looking at to say that Francis is not going to be elected? I'm not challenging your statements, I'm just curious so that I can follow this stuff.

6. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

steve probably won't be on the team. he never gets picked on any of those national teams because of some kind of image problem which he shouldn't actually have. he deserves it though and he wants to be there.

7. crimsonice

crimsonice Member

The US is gonna be looking for players who play good team basketball... they realize that it's the only way to win gold in the olympics... it's gonna be Kidd, Payton and probably Miller (the only guy who played well in the worlds) for the pg... Tmac, kobe and probably ray allen for sg... I don't see SF on the team unless he proves he's a great team player

8. dwmyers

dwmyers Contributing Member

If so, it'll be a shame. I'm in Atlanta and Terry just isn't the natural that Steve is.

Dave

9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

If Stu Jackson is (again) even NEAR the selection committee, Stevie Franchise will not be participating. As the most visible player to ever say, "Vancouver sucks!", it's like he'll never live it down.

10. lancet

lancet Contributing Member

Steve won't be selected. There are just too many better PGs than Steve. With all other 4 possions from All-star caliber players, do you really think they want Steve to jerk up these ISO plays?

11. INrocket

INrocket Member

From what i have been reading, many writers say that steve game is perfect for international competition because he can do it all, and especially his ability to get his own shot. Also i don't think anybody that played on the disgraceful worlds team will be on the olympic team.