1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2000-2001 Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Toledoss, Apr 6, 2000.

1. Toledoss

Toledoss Member

I think Rokets are going to take Eddie Jones a good draft and keep Walt Williams and Kenny Thomas

PG Francis/Norris
    SG Jones/ Mobley
    SF Anderson/Williams
    PF Draft pick/Thomas
    C Cato / ?

------------------

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

If they can afford Jones, then they can afford Duncan. Why not go after need?

------------------
    Is it any coincidence that we are the only NBA (sorry for any confusion regarding my earlier signature, I do realize that the Braves and Stars are both mentioned in the national anthem) team mentioned in the national anthem?

I didn't think so!

3. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

....because acquiring Eddie Jones may be easier than acquiring Duncan. The money is all relative, the player has to want to come here. Eddie has at least let out small rumblings that he is weighing his options. Duncan, to my knowledge, has never uttered a word to that effect.

------------------
    HOOP-T

Hey Shaq, Acme called, and they want their bricks back!

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I have. There's a reason he didn't resign at the beginning of the year. I've heard that he's concerned with the Spurs age after this season.

Bottom line though, we do not need Eddie Jones. If we have any money or trades, it needs to be frontcourt help.

------------------
    Is it any coincidence that we are the only NBA (sorry for any confusion regarding my earlier signature, I do realize that the Braves and Stars are both mentioned in the national anthem) team mentioned in the national anthem?

I didn't think so!

5. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

If we were to get Eddie, Mobley could be used in a trade to get a veteran big man. I would rather have Eddie Jones than Cut-tino.

------------------
    "The bigger they are, the worse they smell."

6. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Look Eddie will not come here and Cuttino will not get traded. Cuttino is the best 1 on 1 player in the nba. I dont think he should be traded.

------------------
    President of the Moochie Norris FAN CLUB

7. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Here's the 2000-2001 lineup:

PG Francis/Norris
    SG Mobley/?
    SF Anderson/Najera
    PF Martin/Thomas
    C Cato

Rocks get rid of Williams and Drew and take Kenyon Martin and Eduardo Najera in the draft. I think Rudy will want Ed mainly for his rebounding ability and of course I want Martin. It's probably wishful thinking, but I think the Rocks have a chance of getting Martin somehow and getting Ed somewhere between 17-20.

------------------

8. Plato

Plato Contributing Member

Martin may be a possibility for teams may pass him over due to the injury. still a slim chance he'll be around by the 5th-7th pick.

where is najera projected to go in the draft. i agree that he would be a great contribution. only thing is that they're both rookies. this would entail a LONG rebuilding process...

------------------

9. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Plato:Mid to late first round. I don't think it would hurt at all to add two if not 3 young players to replace guys like Williams or Drew. The team is already so young anyway that they can't be worse than this year and with Martin would probably be a contender considering the fact that the core of the team will have had this year to learn the system and play together. Also, don't discount the value of senior players in the draft. I would rather get a guy like Martin who has played four years and has more experience than say a Barkley who can't stay out of trouble however rediculous it be who has only played 2 years of Div. 1 ball. I can't even remember any underclassmen besides Francis that the Rocks have gotten through the draft(Francis was traded for, but it's like the Rockets drafted him since he is so young and great). The reason why I like Najera so much isn't because I wear crimson glasses it's because he has improved every year he has played and could be just as great as some other high profile players if he had the situation of growing up in America instead of Mexico where basketball isn't even second fiddle. Look how much he improved under Sampson at OU. When he was a freshman he was nothing more than a role player who had potential but grew into OU's go-to-guy and star player. Under the tutilage of Rudy and C.D. and Co. I think Najera could vastly improve his already decent game. I think he has more potential at this point than Othella had when he was drafted. I remember Othella as being a bit flabby with a good work ethic and was considered nothing more than a potential role player. But in 4 years he has grown into a pretty good forward for the Grizz and was one of the main players in the Francis trad if not the main player. So comparing Najera to Othella Najera is in pretty great shape and a muscular upper body compared to a bit flabby Othella. Najera has great work ethic just like Othella and rebounds like a monster. If given the oppurtunity I think Ed could grow into a player just as good a Othella and probably better. Ed shoots 45% I think and that number would be mcuh higher if we threw out the 20% on 3's this year. If he improved his outside shot, which he did vastly in the last 3 weeks this year, he could be a Shandon type player who just does the dirty work and gets the job done and can explode at times. And we won't even need him to score that much off the bench if the Rocks draft him since we already have so many scorers on this team.

------------------

10. alaskansnowman

I really don't think we're gonna get Eddie Jones. We don't really need any help with our backcourt players at all. Plus, one reason that Francis will stick around in HOuston is because Mobley is there. And Mobley will probably resign with us, partly because Francis will be here. So, I would like to keep these two guys togetha.

I think we'll probably pick up Marcus Fizer in the draft if he's available. Either him, or pick up MO Pete and get a free agent big man over the summer. But I'm not sure how much room MO Pete will have with us. Walt has been playing like the Wizard he truly is and has fit in very nicely with our offense. Plus with our ability to put Shandon at the 3, AS WELL AS CARLOS ROGERS, there's not gonna be that much room with our 3.

Bottom Line: we need a big man. And if we don't get him through the draft, we will pick up that big man over the summer through a trade involving some sort of combo. between Drew+Tmass+someone else.

------------------
    treasurer of the moochie norris fan club

11. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

Toledoss,
    First of all, I usually don't talk to lowly junior member scum like you (kidding), but I'll make an exception because you made an intersting proposition re: Eddie Jones.
    While we're talking about Jones and Duncan, why not Hill? Our Frontcourt needs the most help. I think our veteran free agent help should go there. I say get a marquee small forward free agency (Hill or his evin twin). Putting a rookie at the 4 spot as a starter, even if that Rookie is Kenyon Martin is no way to usher in a ring with quickness. I'd actually start Kenny Thomas or Cato at PF until Martin isn't wet behind the ears anymore.
    Besides, if we got Jones, that puts Shandon at the three. If Shandon played the three full-time, I'd require Francis at the two before I'd take Jones' huge contract on (Mobes as 6th man at point and two) , and either a solid veteran or Mateen Cleaves at the point (y'all know Rudy loves him, right?).
    At least that's that's the way I see it...

12. Chickenhead28

Chickenhead28 Member

They should get Duncan and keep him in Texas. Forget about everthing else. How do you like this lineup:
    pg Francis/norris
    sg Mobley/trade/draft pick??
    c Duncan/Olowankandi
    sf Anderson/draft pick??
    pf Cato/Thomas/Rodgers

Maybe this can work. Olajuwon can retire and the Rockets can go on with a center that can carry this team.
    I know the Clippers are tired of Kandi and would like to trade him, on this team he would be a perfect fit.
    My starting 5 would be great. Remember, throw out the kitchen sink and go for Duncan.

"If you bring him the rings will come"

------------------
    the Heat suck!!

13. LaTinBoy

LaTinBoy Member

Ok, i dont think that's gonna happen, duncan will want big bucks, here's another team i'd like to see, i know its not going to happen though
    (this is from my nba live 2000 rockets francise, 2nd year)

c Cato -9 ppg, 9rbs, 3blks
    pf Neil Scott(6th overall draft pick)17 ppg, 11 rbs
    sf TMAc -15 pgg 7 rbs
    Sg Shandon - 12 pgg
    pg Franchise - 22ppg, 9 asst, 5 boards

Cuttino - 15 ppg
    Mooch
    John Wallace
    Brad Miller
    Kenny Thomas
    Bull
    Draft pick

i just started the season , im 15 - 2,
    both charles & hakeem retired

------------------

14. triplebogey

triplebogey Member

I would rather have frontcourt help, but Eddie Jones is one of the two or three best shooting guards in the league. Having him is certainly nothing to be disappointed about. With that being said, I've heard that he's headed to Orlando. The Magic have the cap space, Grant Hill is going to resign with the Pistons, and Jones is originally from Florida.

If it were up to me, I'd look for frontcourt help through free agency and try to draft for the swing position, not vice versa. Brian Grant (if he's healthy) at PF and a SF/SG (Morris Peterson?) from the draft is the way I'd prefer. Someone has already suggested this scenerio, which I agree with completely. Although Eddie Jones and Kenyon Martin doesn't sound bad. BUT, all bets are off if the Rockets have a shot at Tim Duncan. Go after frontcourt help through free agency, whether Duncan or someone like Grant and draft a perimeter player.

------------------

[This message has been edited by triplebogey (edited April 09, 2000).]

15. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

let us get all the free agents!!!

here is my line up!!!!

1. Steve Francis/Mark Jackson
    2. Eddie Jones/Shandon Anderson/Cuttino Mobley
    3. Grant Hill/Wizard/Tracy McGrady
    4. Brian Grant/Mo Taylor
    5. Tim Duncan/Cato

My Rocket team is better than yours!!

------------------
    CriscoKidd ...

the official mascot for the S.F.B.W.C.

16. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

CriscoKidd,

Outstanding!!!

Mango

------------------
    A Ranking Official in the Serious Police

17. Chickenhead28

Chickenhead28 Member

ok, whats the most the Rockets can pay, and how much can duncan make.

------------------
    the Heat suck!!

18. TeXaSalsa

TeXaSalsa Contributing Member

Enough of these stupid fantasy teams. the only free agents we have ANY possiblity of getting are b.grant and maybe R.Lewis. And it will be a Miracle if we get either one. in fact id say there is about a 10% or less chance we will get a free agent who significantly help us.

We ARE NOT going to get Jones, Duncan, Mcgrady, Mercer, or anyone else. frankly we proly are going to sign cuttino , draft 2 good players, and have the same team.

------------------
    --TEX

19. treeman

treeman Member

My opinion would be that if the Rox management were to determine that getting Duncan was feasible, then make that the primary drive.

Stop all this talk about getting more guards (like EJ) and perimeter shooters, and worry about getting a big man (PF or C). We don't need any more guards or shooters, period. Our offense there is fine as it is. What we need is a big man who can block and make attackers change shots (ie, one who instills fear in slashers), one who can score enough to keep opposing D occupied long enough to get our perimeter shooters open, and one who just flat gives fire and presence inside. Tim Duncan is to my knowledge the best at all of this.

I've also heard that Duncan is looking to move because of the Spurs age. He wants a young, talented nucleus around him, and he wants more rings. We can definitely help him with the young-and-talented part - in fact, we might be EXACTLY what he's looking for. And obviously, he would be EXACTLY what we've been looking for...

Orlando has $ and they're in the market for a star, but they already have inside presence, and they lack the young nucleus we have. And they still won't be a real contender.

So, the way I see it, if Duncan wants money, less PT, and no ring, he'll go to Orlando. If he wants a promising young team he can grow with, plenty of PT, a little less money - but maybe a ring, he'll come here.

I get the impression that he cares more about a ring and the future (rings) than he does about $ (tho I'm sure that's a big factor). But I would not be surprised if Rudy pulled a Duncan out of his hat this offseason.

------------------

20. treeman

treeman Member

Aside from getting Duncan, I'd tend to agree with TeX. We're not going to get anything special from the draft this year, and unless we land a mega-star free agent like Duncan, I'd just worry about keeping the current team together.

It seems to work pretty well when all points are clicking.

------------------