1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2 players are not starters in NBA with...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BigO, Feb 12, 2018.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

Well the thing is Anderson has always been starting since last year.

A big factor to that is his money, it feels wrong to bench somebody you are paying 20M to. Also last year we had guys who are inferior to Anderson, it was really only in the playoffs that he got exposed. However now there is no excuse to start him because Luc is just plain better.

As to your theory it is definitely possible. However MDA plays short rotations to begin with so I doubt he will showcase someone just for trades. My guess is Anderson gradually lost MDA's trust and when we got Luc he basically said F this scrub. He's also not doing a good job winning his starting spot back 20% FG 0 from 3 tonight from a scrubby Mavs team.

BigO likes this.
  2. amaru

amaru Member

It averages out to that because he’s on an ascending scale. 18,19,20 whatever the exact amount he is grossly overpaid and his contract is limiting the team’s ability to upgrade even more than they already have.

No need to be triggered or sensitive about it. The truth hurts.

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I’m neither triggered nor sensitive. An untruth was written. The OP said that Anderson was one of two players making $20,000,000 that is not starting. Regardless of the average salary, Anderson does not make $20,000,000 this year. That is a factual statement unlike the OP. Now, if the same thing occurs next season, then the statement would be true. But for this season, the comment is wrong.

Now if the OP was that Anderson is one of the two most overpaid non-starters, then that is more accurate, yet not necessarily factual because then it becomes opinion.

4. amaru

amaru Member

The argument is splitting hairs. We all knew exactly what he meant. Anderson is making big time dollars for small time production. No need for deflection.

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

I don't remember people hating on Dwight Howard in the 2014 season. So why do you keep bringing that up? You do realize that players can get worse as they age, right?
    If that's what the OP means then there are a lot more than 2 players who fit that criteria.

Unless you mean to tell me that the Rockets messed up by not trading Anderson for Noah at the deadline. After all, Noah doesn't make $20mil and isn't a starter. Surely that would be an awesome trade for us right? Or for that matter, would you trade him for Deng? Batum? Gallinari? Crabbe? Evan Turner? Mahimni?

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Then why wouldn’t the OP have simply posted the truth? His argument is false using the $20,000,000 criteria. He could have written $19,500,000 and made the same point (I assume).

7. topfive

topfive CF OG

Ryno's numbers from last year are basically the same, except that he's shooting less overall.

His 3PT% is down a bit from .403 to .382, but his 2PT% has jumped from .446 to .550.

His scoring is down because he's taking fewer shots and playing fewer minutes. And unlike last year, we have the option of subbing him out for someone who can play defense.

Is Ryno worth $20M? Obviously not. But if we were paying him $13M-$15M, I doubt everyone would be hating on him so much.

hakeem94 and YOLO like this.
  8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

are you kidding me? hes very good on defense

9. topfive

topfive CF OG

Ryan tries hard and isn't a total loss on defense, but you can't tell me he's as good as PJ or Luc.

10. JD88

JD88 Member

In a single game, yes. Over the course of the season? No. Plus, there's a difference beween +/- and on-off court stats.

Fact is, we are +4.9 per 100 possessions when he's on the court, and -7 when he's off the court.

That has nothing to do with the team's +/-.

11. amaru

amaru Member

5 and up = round. The end math is the same.

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

I think 13-15M is still overpaid. Anderson is shooting less which means he is expendable. Why will you need a spot up shooter who only shoots a couple of times? All these FG% lose all meaning because of his low no of attempts, its like if somebody has 100% FG from 3 but only shot 1 time all season.

His salary should be around Tucker's salary, around 7M tops. You dont pay 10M+ for a spot up shooter who only contributes 10 ppg.

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

If he was so good on D how come we had Ariza trying to guard LMA in the playoffs? How cone he plays the least mins of the starters and MDA takes him out on the last possessions?

You straight up lying now.

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

Where's your stats? His bpm is only 0.1 here:

is https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/a/anderry01.html

I seriously fail to see how we can be -7 with him off the court as his backup is Luc Mbah Moute who recorded the highest plus minus in rox history this season.

More importantly if he was such a plus minus genius Morey wouldn't be trying to dump him like a hot potato. He was even ok with getting Hill who would be redundant on this team just to get rid of Anderson.

15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

42-13

STFU & GTFO

16. topfive

topfive CF OG

Seriously? Ryno's 3PT attempts per game have dropped from 7 last yeat to 5.5 this year. He's basically taking 3 fewer shots for every 2 games.

I agree with you that his value is greater if he shoots more, but he's hitting at a .389 clip in almost 300 attempts this year. Hardly the same as 100% for 1 shot.

YOLO likes this.
  17. roslolian

roslolian Member

You just made my point for me, 5.5 attempts is nothing, that equates to only 2 made threes at his percentage per game. At that low amount what is the difference between 30% from 3 or 38% from 3? 1.65 three vs 2 threes a game, there is virtually no difference just 1 less pt per game.

What I'm saying is due to his low amount of attempts an "elite sharpshooter" like Anderson scores just 1 more point vs pedestrian guys like say, Tucker (although technically tucker is shooting 35% from 3 so basically there is no diff). However Tucker is much better at rebounding and defense and that more than makes up for the 1 pt diff in offensive scoring between the two. So between the two you would rather play Tucker because you don't miss Anderson's shooting at all.

This is why Anderson's value is only at 7M a year for his once in a blue moon scoring nights and why his FG% doesn't matter.