1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1st NBA player seriously injured in this year's international play

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by LakerMania, Aug 18, 2002.

1. LakerMania

LakerMania Member

[​IMG]

Here's the complete article in English from ACB.com:

Raul Lopez definitely out of the World Championships because of Injury

Raul Lopez will miss out of the World Championships in Indianapolis because of an injury to his right knee that occurred Saturday against Russia. Lopez suffered the partial tear of his ACL according to this morning’s MRI results. It is unknown how long the recovery time will be nor if it will require surgery. His substitute will be Jose Manuel Calderon, who will join the national team Monday in Torrelavega.

Estepona (Málaga), 18 ago. 2002 (EFE).- The point guard Raúl López will sit out the Basketball World Championships in Indianápolis because of the seriousness of injury suffered last night to his right knee, this was confirmed today by the team docotorn José Nogales.

Nogales commented that the player suffered "a partial tear of the ACL" of his right knee as confirmed by this morning by the results of an MRI.

The player from Vic was injured last night in a match between the teams from España y Rusia, in the final of the Trofeo Internacional de Baloncesto V Centenario de Estepona, that was won (78-61) by the team coached by Javier Imbroda.

During a play in the game, when Raúl López rushed to defend a three point shot by Karassev, the point guard hooked his leg with the Russian player and fell akwardly, bending his knee.

This morning , Raúl López has stopped concentrating on the Spanish national team, he will be replaced by José Manuel Calderón, who will where the number 13 on his back which had belonged to Raúl López.

The outsider point guard (Calderon) who was cut from the team last Wednesday by Javier Imbroda, will be reinstated to the team substituting for the guard from Vic (Lopez). Calderón, has been a preparing for the preseason with will join the national team Monday in Torrevalga where the team will leave Tueday for a tournament with Croacia, Lituania y Australia
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

Well actually he is not in the NBA yet, but the Jazz do own his rights and were hoping to sign this talented player.

When a thing like this happens, Cuban doesn't look so dumb afterall. I bet the Jazz owner wish he had tried a little more to keep his player out of competition.

#1 LakerMania, Aug 18, 2002
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2002
  2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It's an honor to play for one's country,but professional basketball players should not be under pressure to play in international tournaments and risking injury. Steve Nash did the right thing to back out of the World Championship but not everyone has the choice to make decisions for themselves.

3. carmelo

carmelo Member

damn:(

i liked Raul.

4. wagner

wagner Member

:eek: I feel sorry for Lopez

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It's really sad to hear. MoT got hurt playing a summer pick-up game... trying to get in shape. So you never know. It's an honor to play for your country, but sometimes I wish just college players did it. :(

6. austinrocket

austinrocket Member

Isnt Raul Lopez going to play for the Jazz next year or the year after??
    If so than congrats on the injury. Screw the Jazz :)

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He is supposed to play for them this year.I want to see the Jazz lose but I don't want anyone to get hurt.

8. mav3434

mav3434 Member

sorry for him, happy for the jazz. God hates the Jazz too. I guess he isn't mormon after all.:p