1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

1997 Rockets vs 2010 Celtics Prime.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by cloudng8, Nov 27, 2012.

1. cloudng8

cloudng8 Contributing Member

Head to Head who would win??

Rockets:

Maloney
    Elie
    Drexler
    Barkley
    Olajuwon

Celtics:

Rondo
    Ray Allen
    Paul Pierce
    Kevin Garnett
    Kendrick Perkins

Think it would be a good Match up The obvious that Dream Shi*s on Perkins but could Prime Barkley keep Prime Garnett in check?

I still think rockets win 4-3

*edit if both teams players were ALL in prime...

#1 cloudng8, Nov 27, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  2. arjun

arjun Member

i think rondo ray backcourt in the prime would be tough as hell for maloeny elie...i'd go with celtics in 6 or 7.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

1997 was not prime Barkley. Maybe in terms of rebounding, but his offensive repotoire has severely declined, and was basically limited to "backing it in, backing it in, backing it in...."

Back in the day, Barkley was an unstoppable beast that ran the floor better than any "big little man" at will. He had a motor that was non-stop... more than JJ Watt's!

Out of all the Rockets of that era, Drexler's prime actually extended the longest... and he left the game after having a very good season.

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

97 Barkley was good, but not in his prime. 3-4 yrs past it, at least.

5. cloudng8

errr sorry i ment if they were ALL in there primes... as in 93 barkley, 92 drexler, 94-95 dream...

6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Hakeem >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Garenett
    CB4>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Ray Allen
    Drexler >>>> PP

In their primes they would have owned the league.

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Then, you're talking about a better version of the current Heat. No contest.

8. underrated015

underrated015 Member

97 team, dream was still dominating at a high level. chuck n clyde were still pretty good. i say the rockets team is better.

9. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

think about the 2011 Celtics

Rondo, Allen, Pierce, Garnett, Jermaine O Neal, Shaq, Troy Murphy, Jeff Green, Nenad Kristic, Delonte West and Kendrick Perkins.

All healthy and in their primes

10. cloudng8

ya lol didnt want to pick that team... was too much.

11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Remember thew 97 rockets also had Eddie Johnson, Threatt, and Kevin Willis. In their prime, they were pretty good. Jones could block some shots in his prime, as well.

Threatt/Maloney
    Drexler/elie
    Eddie J/bullard
    Barkley/Jones
    Dream/willis

12. VanityHalfBlack

13. Akim523

Akim523 Member

No contest, Dream would eat everyone alive.

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

If we're talking about primes, you should be ashamed to even ask this as a question. Dream's prime probably ranks among the top 5 primes of all time, not just MVP caliber like KG's prime. Clyde was the 2nd best SG of his era and best player on finals team. Barkley the best or 2nd best PF of his era and best player on a finals team. Ray Allen, Paul Pierce were never anywhere near that level no matter how you cherry pick their seasons.

Now relative to their seasons, I might give a slight edge to the Celtics. Only because Dream's defense at that time had curtailed a bit, while the Celtics had lockdown defenders everywhere.

15. cloudng8

Remember celtics also had sheed on the bench he would play C over perkins.

Still it would be a good match up.

16. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

It would come down to the bench!

17. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Barkley, Clyde, AND Olajuwon all (I guess magically) in their primes?

It's that Rockets team and it's not close.

18. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

Ya, that season was a grind on Dream though...it was his first time, almost in deferral role at times, bc of Chuck "backing it in, backing it in, backing it in..."
    He still avg. 23 plus, but you could tell the season was a grind on him he missed only 4 games, that year, not that Dream missed a ton of games, but he usually missed around ten albeit, 92-93, 93-94-those DAMN SONICS! man...

But..watching that great team back then in 96-97 was well a "Dream"- but you could see even with "Dream's" still over 50% FG shooting that he was starting to decline, and maybe had even lost some of the "KILLER INSTINCT" drive...He had 2 rings, he was fine with that, he won one for Drexler, he got him his...What Dream really was doing was trying to earn not himself a ring...but Charles Barkley a ring...See I think after the first title Dream was satisfied, he had pulled off something no one had done, he sat on the TV area, and just soaked it ALL IN, there was NO "Jordan Crying rolling around with the trophy" -To Hakeem, basketball was basketball when he turned from Akeem to Hakeem, he had been to the finals before, and lost to the C's...

he knew how hard it was to win championships, he put in the effort every year...NO QUESTION, but I will always think he was satisfied with what he did his first championship ring run, then got rejuvenated by then a "DONE" (what people were saying) Drexler, who carried the Rockets through the season, as Dream dealt with anemia, Dream did everything during the playoffs that season, he threw the team on his back, and pulled out moves, no one had ever seen...Game 5 & 6 against PHX was a couple of the best performances of his life, one he had 30 plus and 16 boards, playing against the Rebound KING "Barkley" backs against the wall, the other game he had 30 plus and 10 assists at throwing a team on his back...like Mario said "when it hit the backboard like that and went in I knew we had this, Dream was going to carry us" Elie said something like that in reference to Dream in the PHX series Back to Back VHS...LOL..

Anyways...going back in time Dream gave it all he could to try and three peat...I'm sure he wanted it bad!- he was more about other people though, the sonics used the classic "Illegal D" against a team that just was almost afraid of that team it seemed at times, other than Dream, I can still remember that 30 point blow out, and how mad Dream looked, and frustrated, no one could get him the ball, even Horry, possible best passing to the block "guy" there was...even then...The team was also weird 6 players in double figures that year, at a decent level with Dream, and Drexler leading the way followed by Sam Cassell, Robert Horry, Mario Elie, and Sam Mack (maybe his best season..oh man oh man too bad for that guy, and his whole little run in thing with the cops that ended his brief career as a great 3 pt shooter, he came back but was never the same, I believe..)

Sorry I just went on a huge tangent, and history of 3 years in detail it doesn't have much to do with anything...and nor to the person I replied to...other than my point I think was Dream as declining that year, and had it not been for Barkley, honestly, and Eddie Eddie, and a clutch Matt Maloney, we wouldn't have gone as far as we did, what Dream did was still drew the Doubles, constantly, bc he could still own any one on one match up, and that's the thing he started trusting his teammates more...I always think Dream did so much for others rather than himself, he did all within himself for the others, but 97 playoffs were a horror, and if we really were comparing that team, the Rockets probably win, but Malone > Garnett I think, and Stockton >>>> Rondo (I love Rondo btw, and hate Stockton, but it is what it is)...I think Rockets win easy, bc Elie takes Ray, and Drexler can take Ray, Maloney would be our problem...and liability, but he was a good shooter, also "Ol EDDIE Johnson" could do his own thing....

All in their primes though, and old rules, well I take "Dream's Team" all day, espesh with a Superstar PF, and great shooting guard in Drexler...so Rockets...
    Sorry I know many "Didn't READ"

Just wanted to point out Dream started to trust people more, and I forget how good of a relationship Chuck and Hakeem had that year...I know Drexler didn't think that Chuck calling them out in the middle of the playoffs for the lack of dedication, and if they really wanted to win pissed some people off, but he was doing that to try and get the team GOING....
    anyways long tangent..sorry...

19. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

I should clarify that if we played in the pre-1999 rules era, the Rockets win in blowouts.

After 1999, backcourt players like Ray Allen didn't have to contend with hand checking, and underweight frontcourt players like Garnett weren't allowed to get their stick bodies shoved way the hell off the blocks. Basketball was no longer a man's game.

That Celtics team is filled with players who only prospered during the Sissy Era of NBA basketball against defenses that weren't allowed to really defend. Meanwhile those Rockets players were rough and tumble pre-1999 players who could score on defenders who were legally allowed to slap the crap out of them, impede them on their way to the blocks, and then push and grapple on them with a double armbar once they made it there.

I literally believe Dream would be a 45 PPG scorer in today's NBA.

20. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Hakeem>>>>Perkins
    Barkley>Garnet
    Drexler>Pierce
    Elie<Allen (but Elie would shut Ray down)
    Maloney<Rondo