1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[1995 Academy Awards] Forrest Gump vs Shawshank Redemption vs Pulp Fiction.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by moestavern19, Feb 17, 2009.

1. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

This is a simple question, but the answer can be debated for an eternity.

3 truly great films were made in the year 1994. (4 if you want to count Disney's The Lion King)

Forrest Gump
    Based on a novel by the same name. It is fantasy biopic about a simple-minded man who lives an extraordinary (although hardly believable) life. Tom Hanks gives the performance of a lifetime. It is a sometimes hilarious, sometimes tear-jerking, but mostly fun look back through modern American history. Gary Sinise also gives a memorable performance as Lt. Dan.

The Shawshank Redemption
    Based on a short story by Stephen King about a man who lives an extremely crappy life in prison, and how in the end he earns his redemption. A film that many people have brazenly labeled "The finest modern movie ever made." The Shawshank Redemption has one of the most amazing and satisfying endings in movie history. Morgan Freeman is outstanding.

Pulp Fiction
    The magnum opus of Quentin Tarantino. A movie that is not ranked on a list, but considered as "the" cult classic. The benchmark of "cool" films. A movie cluttered with depth and talent, yet placed together very intricately with meaningful purpose. An organized chaos that transcended numerous cinematic norms (As he did with his groundbreaking film Reservoir Dogs)
    Samuel L Jackson delivers one of the most memorable, most quoted characters in film history.

Forrest Gump took home most of the Oscars in 1995 (Best picture, Best actor, Best director, Best screenplay.)

The simple question is... Which film do you believe deserved to win best picture? Which actor of the 3 films did you feel gave the best performance? It is quite possible that there are no wrong answers, each film is a great achievement in its own right, yet I've never seen much agreement between a group of people about which film was better.

Please provide a well thought out thesis before responding
    . I am not putting this to a poll because I believe that many people would vote without providing any insight as to why they voted accordingly. I will add my own thoughts later.

Spoiler Alert - I would caution anyone who for whatever reason has not seen these films that there will probably be spoilers being discussed. I would suggest for the integrity of this argument, that you refrain from giving your opinion altogether unless you have seen all 3 films.

2. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

I liked all 3 films and will watch all 3 on occasion if I see them on.

IMO:

Best Picture should have been Shawshank. Not that the other 2 were bad, htis was just the best.

Best Actor- Hanks wins this. He made the character memorable, everyone was spouting Gumpisms after the film and some are still very much used today.

Best Director- Tarantino. He had the least to work with (in a sense of star power and epic story) and made a phenomenal film.

3. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

Gump should win actor and film. Shawshank used the twist ending to be good, otherwise there were was not much imagery, or dialogue that makes it WOW good. Anytime you need flashbacks of the same scene to tell the story it drops a peg.

Quentin Tarantino should get best director because he changed the way people thought of movies with Pulp Fiction.

4. dylan

dylan Contributing Member

Forrest Gump is a terrible movie with a terrible message.

"Sit down, shut up, don't rock the boat, and do as you're told. Only then will good things happen to you. If you have the temerity to venture outside of society's norms you'll become a drug-addicted prostitute and die of AIDS."

Pulp Fiction and Shawshank are both great but in my mind Pulp Fiction is clearly ahead, both at the time and in how they further influenced cinema.

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I liked pulp fiction the best and feel that it sort of stands the test of time the best of them all. I think the use of the non-linear intersecting storyline was better executed here than in Reservoir dogs. Forest Gump's sappiness I think sort of kills it, it didn't stand up to repeated viewings the same way. Shawshank is great it just didn't seem as innovative as Pulp Fiction did at the time.

I think Forest Gump's oscar success by the way had as much to do with politics as anything (that was the year Republicans re-took congress so the "family values" thing was very prominent that year, certainly in comparison to a violent gangster film like Pulp Fiction)

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I also choose Pulp Fiction for the reason that it has stood the test of time. It still seems fresh and original when you watch it.

What is Forrest Gump the character supposed to be, anyways? r****ded? Half r****d? Never go full r****d! Nonetheless, it was the kind of epic, uplifting film that Oscar voters like.

7. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

moes, if I remember correctly in a previous thread you picked Shawshank and blasted the other two films when compared to it. It would probably take me too long to dig and try to find it. Do you still feel the same way?

Best Picture - I would give the slight edge to 'The Shawshank Redemption' and I just watched it for the first time last year. :eek:

Best Actor - I would definitely give it to Hanks. He made the character not only memorable but very believable as well.

Best Director - Tarantino for the same reasons mentioned by Castor27. He took a cast of has-beens and unknowns and made a masterpiece.

8. Lil Pun

I didn't know that was the message conveyed with Gump. :confused:

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

the funny thing is this is tough to argue with. but i think you miscontsrued the message, gump didn't always not rock the boat, he befriended bubba, he didn't let his comrades die on the beach, he started the shrimp boating business that people thought was crazy, and the running was far from conventional.

aside from joining the army during vietnam (which I don't want to argue about being good or bad) gump always did the right thing because he always had good intentions, and he was blessed.

10. Lil Pun

Is this PC? ;)

11. Mr. Clutch

This goes to my other question. Hanks was a believable...what? Idiot? r****ded person? Doesn't seem to me like he was a realistic r****ded person.

12. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

Gump was the definition of being outside of norms. He was always put with the outcasts of the group. Poor girl (jenny) black r****d in army (bubba) and the crazy army vet with no legs ( dan)

13. Mr. Clutch

I also don't agree that this was the message. Seems to me that he did a bunch of stuff outside the norm.

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Forest Gump was a movie for baby-boomers, and won the Oscars on the strength of baby-boomers.

Pulp Fiction was compositionally much more rich, with better character development, dialogue, wit, and coolness. The other two don't come too close.

15. DreamRoxCoogFan

"Slow? yes. r****ded? Maybe. Braces on his legs, but he charmed the pants off of Nixon and won a ping-pong competition? That ain't r****ded! You went full r****d, man."

Forrest Gump is one of my favorite movies of all time. I (comparatively) recently saw Pulp and Shawshank. All three are incredible. I think that Gump should have gotten best picture and actor. Hanks is phenomenal in that role, and the visuals are incredible. Tarantino for director.

16. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Pun - I probably was stating that opinion as I had just recently seen Shawshank for the first time, and I was amazed. I have come to a more objective viewpoint at this time, but I still think it should have won best picture.

Tarantino should have won best director IMO as well, but the academy has a tendency to give a "clean sweep" to the best picture winner.

As for best actor, its very hard to argue against Tom Hanks. He's amazing.

I have my doubts that Forrest Gump was made in mind to be a propaganda film, although it was very convenient that they "New Republican" movement latched on to it. As pgabs stated, Forrest wasn't very political-minded at all. He seems to point out that "for no particular reason so and so was shot..." when those moments happen. However, dylan what you say is hard to dispute... and that reason alone polarizes a lot of people's opinions on the film. If anything, Forrest's mind was freed of many of the social norms at the time, and his behavior was anything but normal.

17. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Ask Sean Penn, 2001, "I Am Sam." Remember? Went full r****d, went home empty handed... :D

18. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

I pick Pulp Fiction for best movie. I think Shawshank Redemption was also a great movie. I wasn't a big fan of Forrest Gump and other than the popularity of Tom Hanks in the 90s, I'm not sure why that movie is so highly regarded.

Best Movie: Pulp Fiction
    Best Screenplay: Pulp Fiction (by a landslide)
    Best Director: Quentin Tarantino
    Best Actor: Samuel L Jackson (one of my all time favorite movie characters)
    Worst Actor: Quentin Tarantino (he should leave himself out of his movies)

19. dback816

dback816 Member

Forest Gump for all 3, easily

20. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Ditto. Paul Newman, though, was very good in a subtle way for that Nobody's Fool movie (OK movie, though). Hanks is amazingly consistent, though, in his speech and mannerisms throughout the whole movie.