1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

17 year old high school basketball star found to be 30 year old African refugee

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by crossover, Apr 22, 2016.

1. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

http://www.abc10.com/sports/windsor-high-school-basketball-star-found-to-be-30-years-old/147137551

WINDSOR, ONTARIO - In a stunning development, a star center for a Canadian high school basketball team was exposed as a 30-year-old African refugee, leading to his being detained in connection with the Immigration Refugee Protection Act.

According to the Windsor Star, 30-year-old South Sudanese native Jonathan Nicola was a star center for the Central Catholic Comets throughout the 2015-16 season. The 6-foot-9, 202-pounder spent the previous months during the academic year living with Central Catholic basketball coach Pete Cusumano as part of the Canada Homestay program while he lived in the country on a student visa.

That visa is now likely to be terminated as a result of the large discrepancy in his Nicola’s age. While he has been presenting himself as a 17-year-old, the Canada Border Services Agency has obtained evidence that purports to show Nicola is actually 30 years old, making him a full 12 years older than the eldest competitors on most of the teams he played against during the 2015-16 season.

You can see a workout video of Nicola filmed by Cusumano below.

While Canadian officials have been unable to provide any specifics about the case due to privacy concerns, Windsor-Essex Catholic District School Board spokesman Stephen Fields insists that students within the district were never at risk due to a fellow student.

“Generally speaking, if we felt at any time that there is any kind of threat to any of our students at any of our schools, then we would act appropriately,” Fields told the Star.

While Nicola’s case is a stunning one, it is certainly not the first of an older athlete masquerading as a teenager to continue competing in high school athletics. Notably, in 2009, 21-year-old Haitian immigrant Guerdwich Montimere claimed to be a 17-year-old named Jerry Joseph to maintain eligibility and compete in high school basketball for Odessa Permian in Texas. He was later convicted to three years in prison in connection with charges of identity theft and sexual assault, the latter charge related to a relationship he developed with a 15-year-old fellow student while on campus.

Nicola remains in custody at the South West Detention Centre awaiting further hearings on his immigration status.

------

First thought: "they finally caught Greg Oden"

1 person likes this.
  2. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Obviously it's easier because I already know he's 30, but dude looks like he's 30. Cmon now.

3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

in 2009, 21-year-old Haitian immigrant Guerdwich Montimere claimed to be a 17-year-old named Jerry Joseph to maintain eligibility and compete in high school basketball for Odessa Permian in Texas. He was later convicted to three years in prison in connection with charges of identity theft and sexual assault, the latter charge related to a relationship he developed with a 15-year-old fellow student while on campus.

Maybe Guerdwich Montimere self identified as a four year younger version of himself?

4. i3artow i3aller

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

6. Jontro

Jontro Member

So you're saying he's eligible for the draft?

Paging mauri.

7. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I have to find out what this is from now, I'm freaking hyperventilating.

8. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BYVpLCyBdYw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

No for real, he looks old as ****.

9. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

The Benchwarmers.

10. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Great movie.

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

WHO WANTS TO SEX NICOLA???

12. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

13. mrm32

mrm32 Member

What are his stats though?

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Man, this is funny, in soccer my kid plays teams that ALLEGEDLY have 13 year olds on them that are clearly 15-16, why parents and kids cheat is beyond me.

DD

15. htown1984

htown1984 Member

same here- My lil boy just turned 9 years old in March.. and we supposly play against 9 year olds, but a lot of time you can see kida are 10-11-12 and even 13 year olds.. 12-13 yr old playing against 9 yr olds... really.

Of course you can tell there are older by the way they run and play the game- never understood why parents would let their kids do this..

16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

My kids play in the Y. Here, it's done by grade. I have a 3rd-4th grade team which means I have kids that are anywhere from 7 to 10.

17. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

It's only cheating if you get caught. Otherwise, you're just stacking the deck in your favor.