1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

15 years ago today...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 14, 2010.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I had mixed feelings, I was a huge OT fan, but it was clear the rockets were stuck in mud.

2. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

So you were a DOF....

LOL!!! sorry couldn't help myself....

3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Carroll Dawson wasn't GM until May of 1996 though -- technically the GM of the team was Bob Weinhauer (really was VP of Basketball Operations). Rudy T and CD did get involved though.

4. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Worked conveniently into the great storyline was the bit of redemption for the old UH Cougar crew and the city of Houston. Olajuwon and Drexler BACK together? :eek: Getting the glory that previously eluded them earlier? Icing on the championship cake

5. LifeisButaDream

So who did the barkey trade?

6. rocketsmetalspd

This was a great move by the organization. I hope come Thursday the organization can make another one.

7. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

It was the Redeem Team before the Redeem Team if you think about it. Olajuwon and Drexler winning the NBA championship, in Houston no less, completely made up for Phi Slamma Jamma's shortcomings over a decade previously. Could not have been scripted better.

8. ScoobyUT

ScoobyUT Contributing Member

ahhhhhh man, I can never forget the guy on the firetruck on Richmond with the crazy "Show yo Titi for Clutch City!" sign. Good times... :)

9. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Excerpt from Clyde's book, "Clyde the Glide":

<UL><I>February 14, 1995 was a big day in my life. Not because it was Valentine's Day, but because I was given a fresh start with a new team.

I was tipped off a few days ahead of time that the Blazers were working on a trade with Houston. I spoke to Paul Allen about it. He didn't really want to do it. He said there really wasn't anybody other than Hakeem Olajuwon they wanted back for me, and to trade me for anybody else wouldn't be smart on his part. "I am only going to do this because I want you to be happy," Paul told me.

I hated to leave Portland. The fans were so awesome to my teammates and me. Honestly, Portland has some of the best fans in the game. They really love their Blazers. I enjoyed my teammates. P.J. was working hard as a coach. But I knew that it was not going to be a championship-caliber team. They were trying to start over, trying to get rid of all the veterans. That is the nature of sports, but I was only 32 years old. I knew what I could still do. The front office was intent on breaking us up because they thought we had run out of gas, and that hurt. Maybe Paul had been spoiled a little bit by our early successes. We had some great teams that weren't quite good enough to win it all, and now it was over.

I have always appreciated the trade to Houston. Paul did that one for me. And I appreciated Bob taking care of it like he did. When he told me he was in negotiations with Houston, I strongly suggested that he make it happen. I was gung-ho for that trade. The coach, Rudy Tomjanovich, and his assistant coach, Carroll Dawson, both called me. And finally, Bob and Houston's vice president of basketball operations, Bob Weinhauer, announced the trade. The Rockets were getting me. The Blazers were getting Houston's starting power forward, Otis Thorpe, and a first-round draft choice. The Blazers also agreed to pay about $7 million of the $9.75 million balloon payment on the final year of my contract for 1995-96. Now I was going to the team I had grown up watching, the team that had won the NBA championship the previous season.</I></UL>

10. stab

stab Member

They played out of their minds when it counted in the playoffs. Chucky Brown and Pete Chilcutt, our PF's, that was until Rudy put Horry at the 4 and Elie at the 3 starting game five of the WC Semis vs. the Spurs. With that starting lineup we went 6-0 and won the title again. Everyone saw the big mismatch in the finals being agt the power forward position...and they were right, it was a mismatch. Horry killed Ho Grant in every aspect of that series. Good times...

11. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Combination of both Barkley and CD. Barkley really campained for that trade while in Pheonix.

12. da_juice

da_juice Member

That's it! Let's trade Mcgrady for clyde drexler! Sure, clyde
    s a little rusty, but if Brett Favre can play again, why not the glide? And since he's back, Hakeem can return, he still lives in Houston I believe. Then will be a serious contender in 2010! Imagine that lineup:

Yao/Landry
    Dream/Scola/Hayes
    Battier/Ariza
    Clyde/Budinger
    Brooks/Lowry

13. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"I'm only going to do this because I want you to be happy." - Paul Allen

14. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

While Morey has been channeling Morgan Ensberg.

1 person likes this.
  15. solid

solid Contributing Member

I would like to be "stuck" in some more of that "mud," the Rockets had just won a championship the previous season.
    I thought OT got screwed, but to see Clyde and Dream united, that was something.

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This moved shocked me as well, but I was thrilled to say the least -- Drex proved almost immediately that he still had plenty left in the tank.

Drex and Dream reunited -- move of the decade in the NBA.

17. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Thorpe got indeed screwed and a big F U because people forget easily how important OT was. The guy was incredibly strong and kept Barkley, Malone and Oakley in check. The problem in 94-95 was Kenny & Vernon's egos and some other players who figured they should get theirs. It was also a big F U to Maxwell so two players got screwed while we didn't even do that bad. Injuries played a part and the way to handle with defending a championship.

In hindsight it's nice to get Drexler his ring and a 2nd championship but I rather have stuck with OT and maybe if the Rockets didn't want to commit to Vernon to trade him for another SG. Kenny could've been replaced with Sam and the future would've been bright again.

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Man it was BRUTAL after the trade with Dream going down with anemia and us seemingly having a CBA tryout every 1 month with other injuries and the NBA's worst arena incident until Ron Ron's Malice at the Palace. Sam Mack? Who the heck is Chucky Brown?

That regular season really forced the defending champs to confront themselves and to look forward. Clyde was leading a one man army during the regular season, and with Dream out everyone got an opportunity to push themselves in the offense.

If the BBS were up then as it is now, there'd be 50 threads calling for Rudy's resignation and a daily trade proposal to dump a broken Dream for the next year's first rounder and Harold "Baby Jordan" Miner.

19. Asian Sensation

QFT. Allen really could have done Drexler wrong and sent him to the Clippers for Danny Manning at the time.

20. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Or, they get the SG upgrade in Drexler, then could trade Maxwell for a PF upgrade to replenish the Thorpe loss**. But we forget how much an erratic shooter Maxwell was. Trevor Ariza bad with the occassional hot streak. We didnt care as much for advanced stats then, but when we heard Bill say "The Rockets have gone ICE COLD from the field, Calvin?" we knew Maxwell would figure into that. What better than a Hall of Fame guard to help remedy that?

Plus not like they gutted the young core like the Barkley trade. They exchanged a couple 32 year olds.

I know what you're saying, itd be messed up having to deal hard working Luis Scola to get a quality player back because of what McGrady, Yao and others DIDNT do. But its just part of the business.

**Edit: just looked. Oddly enough, in the 95 offseason Maxwell was waived and the Rockets later sign PF/C center Mark Bryant who was with the Blazers. So you can say the big trade ended up like
    Thorpe/draft pick/Maxwell
    for
    Drexler/Tracy Murray/Mark Bryant.

#40 Shroopy2, Feb 14, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2010