1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

15 games in do we still luv WB?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatBoyNick, Nov 24, 2019.

?

How are you feeling about Westbrook?

1. I'm very happy with WB, I believe we can wing a championship with him.

36 vote(s)
    16.2%
  2. WB is solid, not sure if we will win a ring, but WB helps

117 vote(s)
    52.7%
  3. WB is terrible, we will never win a ring with him, he needs to go

69 vote(s)
    31.1%
  1. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Its great to have 2 good offensive juggernauts. But at the end of the day, where is that ariza or moute, who gives you that team we had 65-17 or so and had the ability to win, but lost because of injury. We dont have that team, and we dont have defensive stoppers. Will that offensive put you over the top, harden gonna have to go dang near crazy late in games, and i just dont see it happening in playoffs, shots will be taken away from the rockets.

deb4rockets likes this.
  2. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

I sure hope so. It would have been much more difficult to double Harden with CP and Butler on the court but time will tell. Teams taking the ball out of Harden's hands is my biggest concern right now. I don't know about how much we can trust the "others" when this happens. That includes Russ. Feast or famine is a scary thing when you are trying to contend for a title.

3. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

How many easy layups has Westbrook missed so far this year? If seems like a couple of hundred already. I like his energy but wish he could shoot better and play under control. Overall his stats look okay but it seems like his screwups come at the worst possible times.

MarioKissoDeath and DaDakota like this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He can play his best and it wouldn't be easy to win anything.

The front court is just too mediocre.

BamBam likes this.
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

did they just not become one of the leaders in pace after being one of the slowest a year ago. what a strange post. but cf's gonna cf's

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

lol @ offensive juggernaut. so now a guy who takes 20 shots to score 20 pts is considered a good thing. and shooting like 22%. boy if this was anyone besides westbrick, some of yall would be on suicide watch

ronclone, gumbleton3 and BeBreezy like this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...VjEoyoz5o-zWnRWpkVOusYf34SgQDLglVr9kSMz6p8Z6A

Russell Westbrook to Rockets: C

Are the Rockets even a smidge better with Westbrook than they were with Chris Paul? Not to my eye. Whatever they gain in the intangible impact of James Harden actually liking Westbrook they lose in Westbrook's inability to shoot. It's pretty much a wash in my opinion.

I remember arguing with my CBS Sports colleague and former NBA player Raja Bell this summer when he said Westbrook could be a 35 percent 3-point shooter. I disagreed. Strongly.

Bell believed that with Westbrook knowing what his role was going to be next to Harden, he would spend the whole summer in the gym working on shooting. I'm a cynic when it comes to that. Guys can become better shooters, sure. There are always exceptions people point to where a bad shooter becomes a good shooter. Kawhi Leonard is everyone's favorite.

But shooting is a born skill the same as anything else, and Westbrook is a bad shooter. He's been under 30 percent from 3-point range in five of the past six seasons. Entering Monday, he's shooting 23 percent from 3 and 41 percent overall.

You can see the influence of Houston's system in some of his shot selection; he's not nearly as quick to pull up for those five-dribble mid-rangers. He's looking for the kick-out passes if he can't get to the rim, but he's still out of control in a lot of situations going through the lane.

He definitely brings an attacking tempo to the normally methodical Rockets, and he's still putting up 22 points, seven rebounds and just under seven assists a game. But man, the shooting hurts. Teams are just leaving him without any concern to swarm Harden. Westbrook can be a penetrator in that space when Harden hits him with a release-valve pass out of traps, but again, he's out of control a lot and he simply can't make that wide-open 3-pointer teams are going to dare him to take.

This is going to be a problem in the playoffs.

8. JackLordsHair66

This is essentially what I was trying to say, Dantoni and Morey are first class enablers, I don’t see that changing at all even if they know it should, Harden runs this franchise and yes Harden is the engine that makes this team go in almost every facet, but when he allows his ego to override good decision making like he does all too often in close games when he doesn’t have it going from 3 he’s got to be smarter and look for better options, drive and get layup, floater, lob, kick, it’s not just this particular gam, it happens a lot more than most in here will acknowledge.

deb4rockets likes this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

yup. seeing cp3 look refreshed to start the year makes it that much more of bad move. easily a much better fit and with the GS dynasty out of the way, this team could once again be top 5 in both offense/defense rtg at full health

#89 YOLO, Nov 26, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  10. bmelo

bmelo Member

Bruh that's what Russ did. Basicaly no one else is ****ing running. It is not some kind of system change where DAntoni in previous years told them not to run on fastbreak lol. We are not incorporating him into halfcourt offense.... Harden is still standing still doing nothin or dominating the ball and passing out when he has no other option. There are barely any plays and 0 off ball movement. It looks cool on the boxscore and you can always tell ignorant fans that threes just didn't fall but when your offense is based on wheter Ben McLemore or Russ makes a three then you are just not the right coach for the job

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

bruh that's one of the reasons he was a bad fit to begin with. how many times have people said this team just isn't a fastbreak team. they borught back the same exact team while adding a high usage, inefficient player who can't shoot, which wasn't going to change that.

you're talking about off ball movement and you have a guy with the worst jump shot in the league standing around waiting to catch a pass so he can shoot. how ironic. if he isn't doing that, he's missing wide open bunnies at the rim. incorporate him into halfcourt offense? dude is trash in the halfcourt. his game is predicated on transition. once again going back to fit

12. pahiyas

pahiyas Member

I like it when he does that playing against us. But I never thought there will come a day...:( :(

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

@ThatBoyNick

we don't.

I am already at the point of asking, "so when can we trade Westbrook?" and the follow up question, "if trading Westbrook means losing Harden, do I still want to do it?"

14. SummitKid83

SummitKid83 Member

I think missing Ego hurts the balance alot more than we think.Hes another playmaker.Hes another person WB can could be passing too alot for open shots.

15. MarioKissoDeath

Supporting Member

So. Many. Blown. Layups. So many. If he could just improve making layups I think he would be a positive rather than a negative when he is on the floor. DUNK IT Westbrick! DUNK IT!!!

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yes, Gordon is important. He playing like crap at the beginning of the season and now injured hurts us a lot. But no, he is not "another playmaker." He is a pure scorer. He is kind of like Lou Williams with a different style. When he is on, playing next to Harden, we are hard to beat. It really doesn't matter whether it's Chris Paul or Westbrook on the floor.

So if the argument is that losing Gordon makes Westbrook look bad, the same argument could similarly apply to Chris Paul. It still doesn't prove that trading Paul for Westbrook made us better.

That last play in the Clippers game just capsulizes Westbrook's problem. We were down one point. Harden was doubled and passed the ball to him. There was still about 7 seconds on the clock. Westbrook had a wide open lane. He could have driven in for several viable options: (1) go to the rim for a layup or get fouled; (2) drive and draw the defense and kick out to an open man or lob to Capela; (3) drive and shoot a pull up midrange which he is quite capable of making. But he chose to shoot a 3 which he only had a 22% chance. Imagine that ball was in CP3's hand instead of Westbrook's.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

bev "that jumpshot broke" sigh

18. BeBreezy

BeBreezy Member

[​IMG]

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

And what if WBrook suggests to him 'Come follow me to greener pastures.....'

20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

One major problem with a rebuild.

OKC basically controlls our 1st until 2026. They have control of 2021, 2024, 2025, 2026

If we were going to rebuild, we’d ether have to be extremely bad to get a bottom 4 pick to keep our picks protected, or we’d have to rebuild extremely quickly with our 2022 & 2023 picks.