1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

15/16 Warriors vs the 93/94 Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Apr 16, 2016.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

This is really more of a question about the Warriors offense verses a style of defense. That 94 Rockets team was an elite man to man defensive team. More specifically Zone defenses were illegal in the 90s.

If a defender was caught meandering about the floor not guarding an offensive player it was a defensive violation. If a defender was caught doubling an offensive player without the ball it was a defensive violation.

The Warriors on the other hand are the absolute best zone busting team of all time, no question. Almost all NBA teams today use some bastardized version of a zone defense. Todays version of the Rockets have a very bad tendency to hangout on what their players perceive as passing lanes instead of actually guarding a man without the ball. It's not unusual to see someone like Harden just meandering about not really guarding anyone.

For disciplined teams like the Warriors who are so good at passing the basketball, playing passing lanes plays right into their strengths because it causes the defensive teams to chase the ball because they will always be late to the shooter if they are playing in a zone. This obviously creates open shots which the Warriors knock down with ease.

The 94/95 Rockets would be picking up Curry at the half court line and each defender would either be on their designated many or they would be doubling whoever had the ball. The rules in the 90's would create fewer open 3s IMO for guys like Curry who thrive on open 3s. There would not be any meandering about aimlessly on the court like we see the Rockets of today doing.

Thats not to say the Warriors wouldn't beat the 94/95 Rockets, I don't know, but I don't think their offense would have the success that it enjoys today. With someone like Vernon Maxwell or even Kenny Smith (who wasn't a great defender) picking you up at half court constantly trying to redirect you with a hand on you (something else that is illegal today) I don't think Curry would have the same success back then.

Having said that, the Rockets of the 90s had the hands full against teams with skilled sharp shooters from the outside, particularly Seattle who could spread the floor with guys like Tom Chambers and Dale Ellis. Of course Seattle had help from the refs that consistently allowed Seattle to run illegal defenses against the Rockets by doubling on Hakeem when he didn't have the ball. Who's to say the refs wouldn't allow the Warriors to run the same illegal defense against the Rockets as the Sonics.

I guess the point of this thread is this, would todays Rockets be better served running a pure man to man defense like it was run in the 90s against the Warriors? Or am I having a revisionist history kind of moment?

2. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

They wouldn't have an answer for Dream at all. I would take the 94 Rockets in 6.

3. crash5179

Draymond Green at center would be able to pull Dream out of the post shooting 3s. Having said that, Dream is the only center in the history of the game with the athleticism, speed, quickness and skill to guard the 3 point line and still get back to the paint in time to help protect the basket.

On the other side of the court, providing the refs didn't allow the Warriors to double Hakeem without the ball, Dream would absolutely dominate.

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

For me this is kind of the key question. I think if the teams could meet and use 90's defensive rules (with a lot of allowed contact, all over the court), Hakeem and crew could hang with the Warriors, with maybe it coming down to who has home court for gave 7. Bogut guarding Hakeem would look a lot like Koncak or that big red-haired stiff from Arkansas who had to guard him his whole career. LOL.

With today's defensive rules, I don't think we'd have a snowball's chance. (I mean, a much better chance than the meandering -- love that -- Rockets of today, but still not a very good chance.)

5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Impossible to compare.

The Rockets might not be able to defend the perimeter shooting of these Warriors. Yeah, Dream is a major advantage, but on offense the Warriors can just jack up everything from outside.

And these Warriors definitely couldn't hang with the physicality back then. Curry and Thompson would be gone in tears by half-time.

6. crash5179

Napalm, this is more about style of defenses today verses the style of defenses that were mandated in the 90s against the Warriors. The point specifically addresses Curry and the Warriors jacking up 3s. They would not have the open looks using 90s defensive rules as they do today.

The real question is this, would the Rockets of today be better served playing pure man to man defense the way it was mandated in the 90s against the Warriors? Certainly they would not be able to put their hands and the ball handler out on the perimeter the way defenders in the 90s were allowed to, but it would mandate that they stick with their man and not hang out not defending anyone simply because that person does not have the ball.

How often do we see Harden 10 feet away from his assigned responsibility on defense. Then the pass is made to the player he is supposed to be guarding and he is late getting back to defend what turns into an open 3 point shot. In 90s rules that play legally can't happen because the Rockets would be charged with a defensive violation.

7. alcatrazpsycho

Ran a 7-game series on whatifsports.com

Rockets steal G1, take a 3-1 lead, then Warriors come back to win the series. Typical Rockets heartbreak? Seems plausible.

[​IMG]

8. alcatrazpsycho

Just for kicks, I ran another simulation on whatifsports.com

And... the '15-'16 8th seed Rockets win in 6! :eek::eek::eek:
    [​IMG]

9. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Interesting article regarding this exact point and the subsequent elevation in PG play:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/sports/wp/2016/04/15/its-a-point-guards-game/

-------------

I just want to point out that while it is easier to look at it as Warriors offense vs. Rockets Defense, you have to remember that their energy levels and pace of play would be substantially impacted by having to guard Dream on the other end.

In order to be even remotely effective, they'd have to throw continuous double teams and Dream would feast further by getting warriors defenders in foul trouble

10. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Any current team could play defense the exact way of the 90's in regards to man-to-man vs zone.

11. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

12. Houstunna

Supporting Member

The breakdown of who wins the matchup is pretty similar to the Jordan's Bulls... the opponent has no one who can matchup with Olajuwon. Whichever rules you use it wouldn't matter. The current zones would create more open 3's for Rockets many good/great, clutch shooters. Add Hakeem's defense on the other end, it's even more over for the Warriors. As the OP mentioned, Rockets had many good/great on-ball defenders for GS's perimeter oriented players.

#12 Houstunna, Apr 16, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  13. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

This would be an interesting series. Hand checking allowed and dream inside. No one could stop dream on the warriors team. Put Maxwell on curry. If max If max could get under Jordan's skin I am sure he could get under Stephanies.

14. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

Tough one.

I think the Rockets then could beat the Warrirors of today. We had trouble defending a 3pt shooting team like the Sonics, however, I think it comes down to, the refs. The game back then was a little more physical. You were allowed to bump and push, especially on thin framed guards like Curry. Curry is able to do what he do now, because the game allows him to throw up 800+ 3's a season.

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The defensive rule in the 90s would make it easier for Curry to penetrate, especially in light of the Warriors other shooters who can spread the floor. They would park the center out in the perimeter to pull Hakeem out of rim protecting space.

16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

You could put horry on Green.

Those Rockets were one of the first to go with the stretch four concept

17. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Oh please stop it with these Green's comments that he is so good. That guy is nothing special. He is good because he fits so well with the Warriors system and because he has good players around him . Put him with the 76ers and we'll never hear from him again.... OVERRATED.

18. crash5179

That is true they could but they don't. And that is why I'm asking the question.

And not just the Rockets but most teams play a bastardized zone because few teams can punish the zone like the warriors.

19. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Hand checking and more physical play overall would make it easier for a weak player to penetrate?

Interesting

20. crash5179

Regardless of the reason why he is good...he is. And this question was specifically about the Warriors offense verses pure man to man defense of the 90s Rockets so you kind of have to factor in Green. Don't be offended so easily, Green is outstanding on the Warriors in his role. Everything else is pure speculation.