1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

10th Anniversary Tribute Thread: 1994 NBA Champs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by theWIGMAN, Apr 19, 2004.

1. theWIGMAN

theWIGMAN Member

It's been ten years (hard to believe it's been that long) since Houston's first major sports title. Now that the Rockets are back in the play-offs, it is a fitting time to honor those who built CLUTCH CITY out of the ashes of CHOKE CITY.

The Honor Roll (the 1993-1994 Houston Rockets Roster):

Hakeem Olajuwon
    Otis Thorpe
    Vernon Maxwell
    Kenny Smith
    Robert Horry
    Mario Elie
    Sam Cassell
    Carl Herrera
    Scotty Brooks
    Matt Bullard
    Eric Riley
    Richard Petruska
    Larry Robinson
    Chris Jent
    Earl Cureton

All hail the Dream. Long live the Dream!

Post your thoughts and memories here.

2. theWIGMAN

theWIGMAN Member

Here are my memories from that play-off run:

Rockets going down 0-2 (losing 20 pt leads) to Phoenix at home ... prompting the CHOKE CITY! headline.
    Vernon Maxwell with a monster game in Phoenix to help salvage the series.
    The classless Danny Ainge nails Mario Elie in the head with the rock.
    The classless Charles Barkley shoves Dream to the floor, having lost game 7 in Houston.
    Clutch City is born.
    Dream's baseline spin and slam on Ewing.
    Sam Cassell's clutch 3 pt shot.
    The freakin' white bronco .... (damn you, OJ!).
    Dream's fingertip block on Stark's last 3 pt shot of game 6.
    Kenny Smith with a lucky 3 pt'er off the backboard in game 7.
    Robert Horry's primal scream in Oakley's face after an alley-oop from an inbounds pass by Vernon Maxwell.
    Maxwell's clutch 4th quarter 3 to seal the deal.
    ... and finally, absolute joy! Sweet, baby, sweet.

3. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Man, doesn't seem like it's been that long. We had some amazing shooters on those teams. Mad Max was freaking awesome.

4. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

10 years WOW the time does fly!!

5. theWIGMAN

theWIGMAN Member

... and a helluva defender too. I still have Maxwell's (#11) replica jersey that I bought back then. Comes in handy when I want to go retro. I always get good conversation about Max ... mostly
    talk about how crazy he was. "Mad Max" wasn't just a nickname; the dude is/was a nut case. But you gotta love that competitive fire he brought. Michael Jordan once singled him out as one of the guys who gave him the most trouble.

6. vincejas

vincejas Member

1994 was the year i officially became a rocket fan. And becoz of the dream. That was his year, the year he catapulted himself to nba superstardom. A place where only the likes of jordan, magic, bird , thomas, jabbar, dr. j, moses malone reside. He distinguished himself from the likes of barkley, karl malone, ewing, robinson and pippen as the BEST PLAYER IN THE GAME. I dont give a damn that jordan retired that year becoz even if he was playing, the comptetive fire was already waning and he was vulnerable. And the dream after a strong mvp type performance in 93 was ready to pounce on jordan and took away his reign as the best player in the game. How time flies. TNX for the memories hakeem, ot, rob horry, sam, kenny, mad max, carl, et al. The rockets are going to win game 2 baby. Go rockets!!!!!!!!!!

7. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

How Sweet It Is!