1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

10th Anniversary of Rockets First NBA Championship

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Agent86, Jun 22, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Agent86

Agent86 Contributing Member

Today is the DAY!

Today June 22 2004 is the 10th anniversary of the rockets first NBA championship. remember and post where you were and what you were doing at the time. me? about 3 feet from where I am now jumping and screeming :D

2. emoreland

emoreland Contributing Member

Crying...thinking how much I loved Akeem for being the hero that I have always admired; how he came through in the clutch.

3. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

I was at Christian Science Summer Camp. I had just gotten back from playing basketball with my cabin mates and I got a message from my aunt left on my bunk.

"Rockets win!"

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I WENT NUTS! I ran back to the dining area and found everyone I knew from Houston and let them know. A few cared, others didn't. I was nuts for the next week waiting to go home and watch the tapes my aunt had recorded. Days later, everyone, myself included, was getting Rockets championship shirts/etc. It was Friggin Awesome. I got home in time for the parade I think. It passed in front of my church. :D

4. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

At a friend's house with about 10 other fans. We partied hard well into the night. It was one of the most exciting moments I can remember.

5. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Hakeem even hit a 3 in the last game in houston!!

6. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Sitting in the living room at my parents' old house. I remember listening to the last minute on the radio and hearing Gene go nuts! Then walking outside and hearing people honking their horns and yelling.....good times...

7. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

Actually, that was the following year vs. the Magic.

I was jumping all around my house, calling my NY relatives to tell them in their face. Afterwards, my sisters drove me around the neighborhood and people were outside celebrating and I high fived a few people on the streets, it was friggin great. :D

8. Nashvegas

Nashvegas Contributing Member

I was in San Marcos Texas going to summer school at SWT.

I had just gotten a job at Pepper's at the Falls, and then we won the title, and told my new boss that I wouldn't be coming to work for a few days and he could fire me if he had to, but there was no way I was going to miss our first parade in Houston.

He didn't fire me.

9. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I was over a friend's house watching the game. Great memories! :)

10. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

I was at home with my 8 month old daughter watching the game. I remember watching channel 2 news and soaking in all of the coverage I could get. One of the parts I remember the most is the camera scanning Richmond and this girl with a huge rack flashing the the live feed, classic.

11. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I was at home watching with my family.

12. RocDreamer

RocDreamer Contributing Member

Loved beating the NYK's. It was a great moment.

13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is strange but my friends and I were fanatics!

We were in NYC. We were at a friends house, we had found some John Starks basketball cards put them in an ashtray on the floor. We used one of the female fans lipstick to put war point stripes on our face and burned Starks cards while danced around. Remember that he was hot in game 6. In game 7 he was 3 for 17 I think.

Anyway we were all yelling and screaming so much that neighbors came up to complain. They said it was because of the noise, but I bet it was because they were Knicks fans and we were Rockets fans. That was a fun time.

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I was working as a marketing/pr intern at the Houston Chronicle. Pumped all day...could hardly work. Remember listening to morning sports radio on 740 am and hearing Dan Patrick say that he thought the Rockets would win, and the town would go nuts.

Left work at 5....ran home...put on my Maxwell jersey....and headed off to the game with my closest friend. Remember it being tight...nervous stomach...but it seemed the Rockets were always in control of that game.

And then Max hit that shot....and I jumped up out of my seat and into the aisle...and for the first time knew that a Houston team..that MY team would win a championship. I remember the lady on the other side of my friend started crying...and I brought a camera and had a picture taken of me and my friend at the game.

Then went down to the lower levels after the trophy ceremony. Kenny Smith came back out...he was dancing around and came over and slapped my hand...went out of the Summit only because security told us it was time to leave.

Stepped out on that side that looks out over 59 and saw cars stopped honking everywhere. Pulled out onto Richmond and just sat there...as people ran through the streets..and slapped hands...and honked. Awesome. Didn't get to sleep until about 3, and had to be up at 6 to get to work the next morning.

Just a great freaking day. Very hard to believe it's been 10 years. Would love to do it again. Thanks for posting this thread and letting me relive that again.

15. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Tonight: 10 Year Anniversary of the First Rockets Title

How weird is it that the McGrady deal AND Rudy T.'s joining the Lakers could happen tonight of all nights?

Wow.

16. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

As if we didnt have enough mixed emotions already, you have to go and post the 94 title :(

Right now, I'm more sad than excited...Not just about Steve and Cat, but also about Rudy going to LA. I'm happy for him, just think he belongs in Houston :(

But its life. I'm willing to to give JVG, Yao and TMac a shot to bring back the glory days! :cool:

17. codell

codell Contributing Member

Jeff,

Im guessing you also heard the replay of Gene and Jims call on 610.

:D

18. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

Orgasmic, wasn't it? :D

19. codell

codell Contributing Member

Exactly.

I was going to say that myself, but wanted to be nice about it. :)

20. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

Dhahran, Saudi Arabia. Riding the emotional high, I celebrated by going out for breakfast with my Rockets shirt (the game started around 2am Saudi time).