1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

10 Years of Morey Is enough

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by opticon, Apr 7, 2016.

1. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

We don't do any of those things well. We waste 7 seconds getting the ball across the halfcourt line. Harden either takes forever to get the ball from a teammate or he dribbles around the perimeter til there's about 6 seconds left before he tries to make his move(assuming he doesn't settle for a contested 3).

When do we ever run guys off of screens? Not very often. And even the pick and roll is hardly utilized. Dwight is too lazy to set good screens. Capela is too weak. I don't really see Beasley do it much. And the rest of the time, we're going small. Are Ariza or Brewer seriously supposed to set a good pick for Harden?

2. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I dont think we can Morey, but I have to agree that he deserves a fair share of blame. I actually didnt think JVG or Adelman should have been fired. For me, McHale was a bad decision from the start, and Bickerstaff has been dealt a bad hand.

The major problem with this team - and I think most people know it - is Harden. Everything runs through him, its very difficult to find complementary players that gel with him, and he holds the ball way too long per possession. His passing is erratic and his work ethic is nil. Morey has tried for years to work a rebuild without going the 76ers route, and he's done well at it, but its time for some structural change, and I wouldnt mind a Harden trade for the right set of players, but then again I'm nt sure how much his value has dropped due to this season.

3. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Stop foaming at your mouth. I'm just going by the words said and actions taken. Mauri has said coaching only makes a difference of about 3-4 games.

Murray ran out a well respected and talented coach in Adelman and hired puppet coaches like McFail and then his assistant JB further showing he doesn't really value coaching at the level you need to in order to be a real contender.

Don't be mad at me. You should be mad at:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. illadelphiah

illadelphiah Member

Rofl. I had an aneurysm reading this.

5. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I'm not calling for his head yet, but I'm not a fan either. I think he's earned the opportunity to pivot away from the 8th grade science project that he's been working on up to this point and try and merge his true strengths of finding value and managing the cap with a coach who has a real basketball mind and a real system.

6. Bo6

Bo6 Member

great post

7. caneks

caneks Rookie

If you just want a mediocre team, it is ok to have Morey as GM.
    If you want to win a title, Morey is not the GM you are looking for.

8. dmoneybangbang

Stick to your stories. I prefer reality. I'm not mad at Morley, that's you bruh.

9. RyanB

RyanB Member

Yeah I think that this time it's really enough
    He made some great rebuilding moves without tanking but his philosophy and involvement in coaching and treating players like assets have ruined his reputation

10. dmoneybangbang

You are simply exaggerating how often we don't or do something, but I do agree that we need to do those things better. We certainly are top in isolation as a % of plays but we also have been a good offensive team in the Harden era. Our execution is poor too often and we mindbogglingly go away from things that are working.

We maybe sitting at the 5th or 6th seed if our defense was half as good as last years. It's just been a crap season all around and the team needs to be reshuffled or retooled and a new coaching staff needs to be put in. I'd willing to give Morey the last year of Harden's contract before he can opt out or resign for a bigger deal with us.

11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Im a very fair man. I agree with your solution but delusionals like him prefer to die ignorant. We see it here first hand. The aelliots, jtr, larsv8 and you know the rest. They do not adapt well in society.

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

If you watched 1) the Rockets at all this season or 2) during last night's collapse and you still think the highest impact move is tweaking things on the offensive end like shot selection or niftier screens or more pick and rolls....you must have been on something.

Doesn't really matter how crisp your screen is when you give up 120 points to a moribund Suns team. And ou can ascribe the same thing to most of the Rockets 41 losses this year. Defense and rebounidng are...suboptimal.

13. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I think there's plenty of room for improvement on both ends of the floor. Obviously their defense sucks. But don't tell me their offense doesn't need work as well. Their execution in the final 3 minutes of the Dallas game was pathetic. A bunch of ISOs for Harden and plays run for the likes Brewer. And to cap it off, the team is down 3 with a few seconds left, Terry gets the ball and is wide open.....and he stands there and waits to get fouled intentionally.

A lot of this can be attributed to poor coaching(Why is Brewer even in the game? Why aren't they calling plays instead of isolating Harden? Why did Terry just stand there?), but the bottom line is they don't execute well on either end.

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Someone should start a Poll

"Do you trust Les to hire a better GM than Morey"

Remember, someone has to hire the new GM.

15. BleedsRocketRed

The problem that I have with Morey is that he is trying to inject what he thinks is the proper game plan too much. Stick to crunching numbers, and working within our cap. Let the talent evaluators get the talent and get a coach who will install HIS philosophy and identity. Stop sticking your nose into places where it doesn't belong.

No more puppets. That is why things worked so well with Adelman. Daryl got the players, Rick ran the system. When Daryl decided to start sticking his nose into the coaching philosophy, Rick chucked the duce.

1 person likes this.
  16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Who is the title winning GM that is out there and available?

Rocket River

17. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Luke Walton. This time it's going to be hybrid GM/Coach.

18. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

One more season to get it right.

Decent pick, a lot of cap space. New coaching staff, re-tool around Harden.

19. N2bnfunn

N2bnfunn Member

He is the one that mess this year up... HE SUCKS!!

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Rudy T!

:)

DD