1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

10 players added to expansion list

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hottoddie, Jan 29, 2002.

1. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Here's the players from Pittsburgh & Philadelphia, as reported on their individual web sites. I assume that the league has to review them before they'll release the official list.

http://www.steelers.com/news/index.cfm?cont_id=92825

The Steelers will place WR Troy Edwards, OG Roger Duffy, WR Will Blackwell, FB Jon Witman and long snapper Mike Schneck on their unprotected list. Each time the Texans choose a Pittsburgh player, the Steelers will be allowed to protect one of the players remaining on the list.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/

TE Tops Expansion List
    By BOB KENT

January 29, 2002

Tight end Jeff Thomason topped the Eagles list of five qualified veteran players they must make available for the Houston Texans in the expansion draft to be held on Feb. 18.

In addition to Thomason, the Eagles' unprotected list included defensive backs Darrel Crutchfield and William Hampton, offensive lineman Ryan Schau and wideout Gari Scott.

An existing club can recall one player from its list after one of its players is selected. After a second player is selected from a club, that club can pull back both of its remaining players.

Houston takes the field next season and the Eagles will host the Texans in a regular season game (date remains TBA).

Here's a closer look at the unprotected Eagles:

Jeff Thomason - The No. 2 tight end, Thomason's biggest offensive performance came in the Divisional Playoff win at Chicago, when he hauled in a pair of receptions -- one on a 4th-and-1 and the other on a 3rd-and-14. Both first-down catches led to eventual touchdowns.
    But with 2000 draft pick Tony Stewart waiting in the wings, the Eagles decided to expose the veteran tight end.

Other than the playoffs, Thomason's biggest plays in 2001 came on special teams. He was also sidelined for two games with a knee hyperextension.

During the 2000 season, he was a clutch performer and go-to guy in the red zone -- with five of his 10 catches accounting for touchdowns.

William Hampton - After spending three seasons in the Canadian Football League, Hampton found a home as one of the gunners on John Harbaugh's specialty teams in 2001. He also saw limited action as the fourth corner.
    Against Dallas in Week 9, he recorded his first NFL interception and returned it 33 yards for a touchdown. In Week 11 at Kansas City, he recovered a partially blocked Sean Landeta punt that was muffed by the Chiefs, and set up Philadelphia's first score of the game.

He was deactivated for three games during the regular season.

Gari Scott - Plagued by injuries, the former Michigan State standout was inactive for 16 games in 2001, including all three playoff games.
    He did, however, register his first two catches of his career in the season finale at Tampa Bay. One of his receptions set the Eagles up for the first of their two fourth-quarter scores.

Injuries have really hampered Scott's progress. He may benefit from a new start.

Darrel Crutchfield - One of only two rookie free agents to make the Eagles roster, Crutchfield was inactive for 14 contests, including all three post-season games. He missed another due to a suspension.
    In the season finale against the Buccaneers, the former Clemson product recorded three tackles.

Ryan Schau - Versatility has been Schau's biggest asset during his tenure with the Birds. The third-year, 6-foot-6, 300-pounder has worked at all five offensive line spots.
    At Tampa in Week 16, he started the first game of his NFL career.

2. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

That is too bad about this list, I thought we might be able to get 1 of Pittsburgh's 3 main RBs--too bad Amos broke out like he did late season, I always liked him.

The one (team) I am most interested in is NE. The ex-Dolphin starter I believe is the 3rd string QB. Kevin Faulk is the 3rd string HB and is servicable. I would guess they would put Teresa Glenn on their list--probably want to stay away from him, maybe that good rookie that sadly blew out his need in the sand (is he still on their roster). Also, with Brady for sure a keeper and just a pup, do they for sure protect Bledsoe? Trading rules I think make it really hard to trade a player with that kind of salary even if other teams want him (or is this true only for certain parts of the year). Bledsoe I still believe is one of the 10 best guns in the league and a team player--you know people are going to salivate for him and it make no sense for NE to keep that kind of salary hung up on a back up. Probably far fetched to think NE won't protected him and trade him, but I really don't know about the trade rules or whether unprotecting him is the best way to free up cap space.

3. Nomar

Nomar Member

Troy Edwards. Hes good isnt he? Lets nab him up.

4. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Awww, hell! I thought for sure that we would get Amos Zerouwe, as The Bus is already a high level RB, and Amos will be wanting more money than Pittsburgh will be willing to pay when his contract comes up (or so I hope). Those bastards protected the one player I wanted more than anything!

5. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They're playing up Thomason, but he's a 32 year old backup TE who's never caught more than 14 passes in a season. No thanks. The only TE I would like thusfar is Hunter Goodwin from Miami.

Schau would be the only guy from the Eagles that I'd even think about.

Troy Edwards would be nice I guess, but he's 5'9" and not particularly fast in a streight line, so he's probably a career 3rd/slot reciever. But I guess they said the same thing for Ernest Givins.