1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

10 misconceptions about the Rockets this off season.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Raven, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Raven

Raven Member

Yep, I stole this thread idea from another board. I admit it. :)

Here are a few misconceptions I think the national media or other NBA fans have about the current state of the Rockets.

1. We need to move Tracy.

Well, we did before we found out that Yao's out for the season. Now, there's no urgency to trade Tracy, especially when his contract comes off the books in time for the 2010 free agent bonanza.

2. We need to trade Brooks while his value is high.

Brooks will only play better next season, because the Rockets are going to be more up tempo. I expect Brooks to have some huge nights for us and this will bolster his value even further.

3. The Rockets need to trade for a star so they won't be a lottery team.

Not really. Houston fans are pretty shrewed. We know the score. Everyone understands we have no chance next year, so trading for a high priced band aid would actually anger the local fan base not encourage them.

4. The Rockets need height.

Playoff teams need height. We are not a playoff team. We'll get height when we need it, and we aren't about to sacrifice our speed and athleticism to get it. In fact, when is the last time anyone on this board has said Rockets, speed, and athleticism in the same sentence? I might be the first to do so in years. All the Rockets want to be next season is entertaining. Fastball will give us that, so please do not bother us with your silly lop sided trades just because you're offering some overpaid seven footer who's contract you want to dump.

5. The Rockets should trade their best rookie, just like they did for Crazy Pills.

Why would we want to do that? Ron was traded for because the Rockets were in win now mode. Notice that I said were not are. The circumstances have changed. We now have players perfectly situated to have big games. Our lack of height and defense is going to get us destroyed most nights, but we're not playing to win the division. We're playing to win the lottery and every game that Brooks or Chase score 25+ points is only going to increase their value.

As Mick famously sang, time is on our side, so don't bother trying to pry the kids away from us, because we're not interest in your overpaid vets, we're not interested in first round sweeps, and we're not interested in watching our guys blossom on your team.

6. No big name free agent is going to sign here next Summer, so quit dreaming.

Too many big names next Summer, and too many NBA teams in financial distress. Something is going to give. Plus, what if the Rockets assume otherwise, trade for an over the hill star, and then Bosh or Dwayne decide not to re-sign with their old teams? Morey won't take that chance.

7. The Rockets are cursed.

There is no such thing as curses or blessings or any of that other superstitious non sense. Houston is a modern city, and we don't privy to your pagan ways, so blow. The reality is that the Rockets knew Yao had foot issues and the Rockets knew Tracy was a diva, yet they went after both players anyway. This is the price you pay when you take risk.

8. Shane should be dumped. We don't need him anymore.

Shane should be reluctantly traded if the price is right, but his value in helping rookies and young players ease into the NBA life is probably more important than anything he can do on the court. There will be no fire sale on Bat Man. Go away.

9. Ariza was a mistake. They should have offered Gortat the full MLE instead.

You're right, but maybe the Rockets can still pry him away from Orlando sometime before the deadline.

10. Tanking is stupid. What if we lose 50 games and don't get the number one pick?

Then we'll have to suck it up and make the best of it, but I'd rather take my chances with the hopper than face the Lakers or Utah in the first round. Why give them the pleasure of boot stomping us while the talking heads congratulate us on a gutsy playoff performance. Screw gutsy playoff performances. I'd rather have a top five draft pick!

2 people like this.
  2. cardpire

cardpire Member

you stole the thread idea from another board, and you stole your list of 10 by blindly agreeing with every move that the Rockets' brass has thus far made.

great job!

3. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

There's nothing wrong with agreeing with the company line. I happen to think that logically rushing things would be a huge mistake.

Of course you continually want to upgrade, but at the right price.

Good thread starter.

4. Raven

Raven Member

I admitted that I got the idea from another board, as if that has never happened before. So what, and why do you even care?

Nor did I blindly agree to every move that's been made, or perhaps you didn't read number nine?

5. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

I hope we going into tank mode and come out with a top 5 pick as well. I've been dieing for us to tank for one season so we could draft a player that would put us over the edge.

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

No matter what you think of the Ariza signing, offering Gortat the full MLE would have been an even bigger mistake. Even if you think Gortat is a great buy at that price, Orlando would have matched and we'd have lost him. And, in that time, we probably would have lost Ariza to some other team as well.

If you really like Gortat, we're in a better position now to get him than if we had offered the full MLE to begin with because we can trade for him mid-season.

7. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Don't Agree with 9 and 10, but the rest is pretty good realistic stuff

8. declan32001

declan32001 Member

I agree with Hayesfan - it's a good thread. I'm not necessarily an optimist, but we have so many question marks that if a few turn into positives, it could be a hellava season.

I love the Rockets, but I love the core of what will be next year's team. So just bring it on.

9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Well said! I'm tired of seeing very strange trades just for the sake of getting taller guys. I just want an entertaining season; I'm not delusional.

10. Big Shot Rob

Big Shot Rob Member

Not sure about #9.

I think it was a great decision to take a chance on a highly gifted swingman who made significant contributions to a championship team. He's young, athletic, and plays strong defense.

Gortat, on the other hand, was a back-up center who averaged around 3 points/game, and he's relatively unproven.

11. spaceage808

spaceage808 Member

good post. I dont agree with you about Ariza. We got for fair value, and he's definitely an asset. Im a true fan, and I agree fully about tanking. we have no chance next year, even if we make a blockbuster deal before the season starts. the west is stacked. lets get a top pick. ill still get my game pack, ill still cheer for the rox even if we suck.

12. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Exactly the irony of that statement is clear that the OP doesn't read his own posts. At first he said we are not in win now mode, keep the speed and ATHLETICISM but the he wants to pay 6 mil a year to guy who played limited minutes and will most likely play backup to Yao when he comes back.

13. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

1) This has already been debunked by Bimathug. There will not be enough room to sign a max free agent, unless half the roster is waived or renounced.
    The best the Rockets can do is the MLE, unless the economy turns into a boom and basketball revenue increases which would then increas the salary cap.

6) See 1.

The rest of them make sense.

14. Raven

Raven Member

If Tracy and Scola come off the books and Shane is traded for an expiring, I'd be surprised if that wasn't enough.

15. CXbby

CXbby Member

This is a good point. I have advocated trading Brooks because I believed his stock was at a peak after his performance in the playoffs. The reason why he outperformed was because he is obviously a better player without Yao clogging the paint. And although there will be some natural progression to his game, I don't think his ceiling is quite as high as some others. Also, this progression would have been somewhat negated by the return of Yao. For those reasons, it was only logical to "sell high".

However, now that we know Yao will be out for the year, it changes things. Without Yao, Brooks will have a full year to showcase his abilities to other teams. This will serve to further solidify his playoff performance, which previously some may have viewed as "fluke". This can only increase his value.

Obviously this opinion is predicated on 3 things:

1. Brooks plays better without Yao.
    2. Brooks is near his ceiling as a player.
    3. Yao can eventually be depended upon.

If any of those are wrong, then it would not be wise to trade Brooks. However, I don't think they are, but that's just my opinion.

Do you believe Gortat is a better NBA player than Ariza?

16. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

There's no need to panic.

The truth: I just said it, let's panic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Raven

Raven Member

I believe that Gortat at 5 million a year is a much sweeter acquisition than Ariza at 5 million a year. The previous comment about Orlando picking up Gortat's contract is a valid point, but perhaps Orlando has a secret agreement with Houston, which is why they surprised everyone by matching.

18. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Yes let's trade most of the team!

Nice!

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

You are 100% wrong about point 7

20. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

5.1 assists per game is very weak especially if you compare him to T-Mac. A limping McGrady averaged 5 per game last year. The years before he averaged 5.9 and 6.5 respectively.