1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

“People are just not going to guard Russell Westbrook in the Playoffs”

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Asian Sensation, Jul 15, 2019.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

based on what you have to offer this board, im not really interested. you get the same energy you put out.

2. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Not at all. Basketball is a game of possessions where on each possession the team is looking for the best shot. If you end a possession with an open three from WB at 35-40%, I would definitely consider that being a decent outcome hence not terrible / bad. Would I prefer an open corner three from Tucker / Ego / Rivers / Green or wing 3 from Ego / Rivers, then probably but that's not the point here. The question is would we be content with a well guarded possession ending with WB at those percentages for which I answer "Absolutely!"

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

More like Blind Dimhorst

4. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

That's the simple answer. If an opponent doesn't guard Westbrook then he also has the option to drive. If you let him get up to full speed then he's pretty difficult to contain.

He also shot 33% on wide open 3s last regular season. While that's not Steph Curry shooting, it's still the equivilent of 50% on a 2 pt shot.

He'll have options to shoot a widw open 3 or drive. I don't think that not guarding him is going to be anyones defense. Did anyone fail to guard him when he was playing with Durant or PG13? If that's would be a valid defense now, why wasn't it in past seasons?

hakeem94 and Hakeemtheking like this.
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

in that situation of course. I'm a firm believer in you have to make the defense pay and taking what they give you. but often that doesn't work out as well as we do hope. which is obviously the concern here and where you have a more optimistic view

I get the Iggy reference from earlier. someone who isn't known to be a 3 pt shooter but despite that,in crucial moments he steps up more often than not. something we're hoping happens here with wb.

#45 YOLO, Jul 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  6. biff17

biff17 Member

And I guess you think you offer something greater to the board?

This guy.

7. T. Will tha Don

Windfat is the worst and most idiotic dude to be commenting. He acts like Russ cant do what CP3 did with the midrange, attacking the basket, and kicking out to shooters.....These ppl are clearly not learned.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

lmao compared to yourself.....oh boy is that too easy

9. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Here's a guy that most people would have, at a minimum, in the top 15 players in the NBA and they aren't going to guard him. He has averaged triple-doubles for several seasons and they aren't going to guard him. So if he had gone to Miami, then they would have had to guard him?

[​IMG]

10. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

It is not a "more optimistic" view. It is a view founded upon actual statistical evidence and through all his seasons and playoff games, it's not a statistical evidence with a small sample size either.

There is actually a more than sufficient sample size there across 4 years to strongly suggest my view is accurate.

biff17 likes this.
  11. topfive

topfive CF OG

I'm not even sure they have legitimate points.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

and that goes back to what i referenced earlier about going in and dissecting some of these attributes. obviously wb can do some things to help this team but there's a ton of other things he also bring that we can be absolutely cautious of

13. BlastOff!

BlastOff! Member

Does anyone feel like all these hot takes are just adding fuel to the fire? These guys are gonna be motivated as hell to prove all these “analysts” wrong.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. jayfree

jayfree Member

New team and a new atmosphere has a way of bringing a player to a new found sense of worth. The Rockets space and shoot and I have no problem with feeling like he will work on his set 3-pt shot and find a spot on the arch that fits him best. Just like how centers had to change their game to shoot from 3-pt range during their career (Mark Gasol never took a 3 pt shot before 2011 and now he's a 35% career shooter). With Harden still running the offense most of the game Russ will be free to hit those wide open attempts.

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. HP3

HP3 Member

I think expecting him to hit 35-40% on 3s is a little generous....like lets just hope he can get to 35% Not to mention, at some point, you are going to have to talk about shot selection. We dont have any evidence thta he is going to cut those mid range shots and those off the dribble threes out of his game. Lets not act like hes gonna sit there and always shoot on catch and shoot.

16. biff17

biff17 Member

Dude.

i actually agree with you a fair amount of the time but you have a habit that if anybody disagrees with you about anything you become very defensive.

I also see you care very much about a perceived rep on this forum.

It's not that serious.

hakeem94 and joshuaao like this.
  17. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

LOL, Media can talk that hot sh-t about Harden without any repercussions, but Russ is not the one.

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Just wanna clarify here, they're talking about not guarding him off ball.

It was a valid defense in the past, and it worked quite well. They didn't guard him in the playoffs, and it was a huge problem for OKC. In the OKC Portland series, Portland didn't guard Westbrook when PG was handling the ball. This lead to double teams on PG, or 3 people defending 2. Occasionally the ball would move back out to Russ, who was completely uncovered, and they dared him to shoot. He missed a lot of open shots, and sometimes was even afraid to shoot.

HP3 likes this.
  19. YOLO

YOLO Member

once again you get the same energy you put out. you want actual dialogue then try posting some for yourself with actual content, rather then saying the same thing over and over and still sticking to your own mindset of what you posted in the first place, no matter what

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. biff17

biff17 Member

You have no sense of self.

You are the one complaining about Westbrook over multiple threads not me.