1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN reporter comes out the closet and announces that he is GAY

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by BandwagonRocket, Sep 4, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

Sounds like you're gay for DMo.

You wonder how your life would change if DMo was gay?

That's the gayest thing anybody has said in this thread, and Izzy announced his marriage to another man.

Good for him, and good for you.

1 person likes this.
  2. pacman0590

pacman0590 Member

Would it be that surprising, considering how many people have pretended to be heterosexual because of society until now..

I guess that's a convo for D&D

3. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Um.

Okay.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Why is it so important to announce your sexuality?

DD

5. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

We've been over this...

6. Salvy

Salvy Member

I don't care..... I really don't. Every few months a story like this pops up just because said gay person needs more approval and a pat in the back from others letting them know how brave they are and how much pain and suffering they have been through. Its 2015, gay people receive more praise and adoration than anyone else in the planet. I don't feel sorry for this reporter or anyone who has "come out".... They made their choice and preference, cool.... Live with it and stfu......

7. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

This x1000

Bro, it's 2015 - no one cares if you're gay or not. At least not in mainstream. So stop parading around like your coming out is the cure for cancer or aids.

8. OpenLayup-Why3?

First time I heard this guy commentating a game was when Rockets played Timberwolves in Mexico. Really didn't like his voice. Maybe he felt insecure about his job position, since he's not good at it, that he decided to make sure ESPN doesn't fire him just because he's gay.

9. hakeemthagreat

I understand your point. But its 2015. I just don't think ppl care that much anymore. I think making an announcemen"Im gay" kinda sends the wrong message actually. Just live your truth and be yourself. No need to make a spectacle. In today's society, everybody wants to be a hero, receive a reward & become famous for absolutely nothing

10. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you truly believe that, you have a really distorted view of what goes on in the world.

11. hakeemthagreat

It's not that far fetched. If you come out, you're considered "brave" & "courageous" or "hero". Some of the richest, most wealthiest ppl in the world are gay. Homophobia is definitely in its dying stages right now

12. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

husband
    /ˈhʌzbənd/
    noun
    a woman's partner in marriage

13. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

hus·band
    ˈhəzbənd
    noun
    1. a married man considered in relation to his spouse

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Do you think that was this reporter's motivation?

Its a personal blog. Blogs are common. People talk about themselves, their interests, offer their perspective on issues, etc.

You say people don't care anymore, its not a big deal, people don't react negatively to gay people anymore, etc. But then, aren't you sort of undermining that point by assuming his motivation for discussing this on his blog is purely selfish and seeking out of hero-worship? I understand if you don't think its something worth celebrating and congratulating him on, but at the same time why turn it into a particularly negative thing? I mean, just reread his words:

I’m gay, which plenty of people, I’m sure, have either deduced or just guessed as much over the years.

But this isn’t me “coming out.” The truth is, I’ve been out to friends and family for more than six years.

The reason I’m tackling this now is, primarily, because I’m getting married on September 12. And besides the fact that it would be annoying to tell my story every time someone sees my wedding ring, it just seemed like a natural time to get this out in the open.

I don’t want to get into anything overly serious, because this doesn’t feel like the right time to preach. And normally, those conversations make me defensive, which could turn readers defensive, and it’s just not where I want to go with this.

More than anything, I just want to tell my story. It’s probably going to feel like too much information to some of you. But it’s the best way I know to explain what life can be like for conflicted, confused gay men and women everywhere, so I appreciate you putting up with me.

What exactly is objectionable about any of that?

1 person likes this.
  15. GottaHaveHeart

How's is this relevant to all news Rockets?

16. blunto

blunto Member

Why do people publish their engagements/weddings in local newspapers, blogs, and social media? It's important for some people, but not for others.

As a public figure, image matters, and perhaps that's what he's making an effort to manage. Even though it's 2015, there's still an undertone of mild homophobia in mens' pro sports, much of which I'd guess is driven by ignorance, simple lack of awareness. I'd consider his post to be a drop in the bucket of awareness.

Anyway, I'd guess it's a combination of career strategy and some sense of personal pride.

To another point: it's not like ESPN is making this a front page story or something. The url is https://izzygutierrez.wordpress.com/ The only way this is on my radar is because I read ClutchFans. It's only a big deal to the extent that this board is making it a big deal.

17. Salvy

Salvy Member

Thank you! In the world we all woke up in this morning it is more ridiculous for a person to believe in a God and to practice a religion than a person to be gay. Homosexuality is accepted and admired while believing in a God is considered a fairy tale or ignorance. The general public does not want people pushing Jesus down their throats but its okay to have LGBT parades in the middle of downtown everywhere. I sometimes feel like a lot of "gay" people are just hurt people that needed an excuse to receive pity from others. Attention and affection. The first time someone "came out" it was cool. It was eye opening that this was real and that society as a whole was changing. Now, I just don't care. I will give no special privilege, attention or pity to a gay person. Gay people just want to be accepted like everybody else right? Well, welcome to being accepted and normal. No need to announce to the world that you are gay.

18. blunto

blunto Member

Ya know, it doesn't have to be mutually exclusive, either/or, Us vs. Them. Site and scene: openly gay dude hosting the Christmas Day Parade.

[​IMG]

I'm not gay or Christian, but I also ain't even mad about the scene above.

19. Salvy

Salvy Member

I'm Christian and the above scene does not bother me either. Everyone looks to be having fun and I am not surprised at all that the genie from Aladin is gay. Good for him. There are tons of non gay's in that picture but none of them are getting recognition for not being gay.... right?

20. blunto

blunto Member

Correct.

How many Christians are in this crowd?

[​IMG]
    Are the non-Christians getting recognition for being not Christian? Of course not, because it's not the point of the whole event. lol

All I was getting at is this: It's possible to let people express themselves, in a personal blog, or even go so far as parade around in a public fashion, without being personally threatened or offended for not being agreeing. I don't view Christmas Day parades as "Jesus being pushed down my throat" in the same way I don't view gay pride parades as homosexuality being... you know. And I certainly don't view Izzy Gutierrez blogging about his sexual orientation as like... an affront to my straightness, or whatever. It's a pro-tolerance stance, if for nothing else other than for the sake of practicality.

I'm picking up on frustration from some posters in this thread with a gay public figure announcing publicly that he is gay. I saw no suggestion martyrdom or request for privilege. I thought he fairly clearly articulated his reasoning why, durvasa even quoted it like three posts up.

Anyway, I hope for your sake that you don't let stuff like this bother you, or take it as an opportunity to be divisive. Hatin's bad for your health, man.