1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is the highest contract will Dwight be offered in free agency next summer?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Sep 2, 2015.

?

What is the highest contract will Dwight be offered in free agency next summer?

Poll closed Jun 28, 2016.
  1. < 4 years/$80 million

29 vote(s)
    14.0%
  2. 4 years/$80-$99 million

34 vote(s)
    16.4%
  3. 4 years/$100-$115 million

30 vote(s)
    14.5%
  4. 4 years/$116-$128 milion

19 vote(s)
    9.2%
  5. 5 years/$95-$105 million

12 vote(s)
    5.8%
  6. 5 years/$106-$120 million

17 vote(s)
    8.2%
  7. 5 years/$121-$135 million

15 vote(s)
    7.2%
  8. 5 years/$136-149 million

3 vote(s)
    1.4%
  9. 5 years/$150+ million

41 vote(s)
    19.8%
  10. He'll sign "Tim Duncan" 1-year deal at below market value

7 vote(s)
    3.4%
  1. malakas

malakas Member

No agent would advise his client to do that, because the risk is high. What if Dwight i.e suffers a carreer ending injury next year? Then will the Rockets sign him to a super max even after that? There are no reassurances and this summer free agency season has proven beyond any doubt that athletes prefer 5 in the hand than 10 in the bush. Safety comes first.

As for Noah theres no way in hell he gets a super max. He was beyond horrendous last year and this year there's a VERY high chance he doesn't even start. He has degenerative knees and they affect his play a LOT. He couldn't finish open layups and putbacks in the playoffs and the defences were ignoring him completely. Unless he has some kind of miraculous recovery season and with his play convinces Hoidberg to start him OR if Pau is so bad this year in defence that forces the coach to give Noah the starting job and minutes he is looking at MUCH MUCH lower paycheck. I'm not even sure the Bulls will be interested in resigning him. The Bulls fans at least, who btw LOVE Noah don't think so.
    Of course perhaps Taj is dealt before taht so Noah is resigned.

Anyway teams I can think of that will be interested in Dwight
    Indiana, Charlotte (depends a lot on Batum because not sure they have so much in capspace?) Dallas, Bulls if Noah is terrible again and Pau at his age falls off a cliff, Boston, Atlanta (depends on Horford really).

Then we have a complete wildcard that is Portland that will have MASSIVE capspace , a young supertar and very very limited options to throw their money to. Who are they going to target next season? It absolutely doesn't make sense to go after Dwight but on the other hand that money will have to be spent on someone.

2. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

....Who?

3. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

I keed, I keed.

I hope he wants to stay here for a reasonable contract.

4. Ericonomist

Ericonomist Member

In 2K I would trade Dwight + something for Cousins now.

5. treeman

treeman Member

Where else could a guy who likes bringing guns to airports go? Of course he stays.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It is not as simple as that - because of the money he would command in a Max deal are we better with a declining Dwight at 20m+ or are we better with an up and coming Capela, and other pieces that you could get for the same money.

I mean if money didn't matter, then sure, be like Man United stockpile all the assets and may the best ones play - but it is not that simple.

Dwight is clearly a force, but he is HARDLY the same player he used to be, and offers very little on the offensive end other than the PnR dunk, which he doesn't like doing.

His post game is atrocious and takes touches away from better options - so for me, keeping Dwight is not a slam dunk, it is more of a depends upon his health and what else we might be able to get.

Again, that depends upon the rest of the roster - if you can make your TEAM better by letting him go, you do it.

Uh, I am all too familiar with Gllbert, maybe a more apt comparison would be to ask Rocket fans about Yao.....

You know a guy whose injuries kept him off the court?

DD

1 person likes this.
  7. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think the team has to evaluate how well Howard fits into a Harden-centric team. Last season, there was a noticeable lack of chemistry between the two on offense, which meant that when one had the ball, the other didnt really affect the play. This was definitely the case when we attempted to post up Dwight - Harden usually just stood in the opposite corner and did nothing while Dwight usually fumbled into a turnover. I know some people here don't think that's a big deal, but I can't see how we can win a championship when our two main guys dont complement each other at all. Add to that the rumors we heard that the two don't get along and it seems to me there are signs that the two arent a good match together.

And finally, Howard was not a "monster" in the playoffs. A monster player forces the other team to change their game plan, and Dwight's offensive woes have always prevented that from happening. And its not just about his terrible post ups and woeful free throws - he's also a terrible passer, is prone to unbelievably stupid offensive fouls and rarely even sets decent screens. For all his rebounding prowess, Dwight never requires a double team. Thats not a monster player - no matter what his stat line.

In a more sane world, he'd be treated as a top tier role player (ala Ben Wallace) but unfortunately Dwight seems to be judged more on his fading athleticism than his actual contributions to winning. As a result, he is grossly overpaid and that limits our ability to improve this team. Ive never liked him as a player and I believe strongly that we could get more wins with a solid role player at C and a star-quality 4 (the love around here for our barely mediocre PFs is astounding to me). If we had a big who could create their own shot and to whom Harden (and now Lawson) could pass to for open jumpers when they drive (and who could make them at a consistently respectable clip), i think we'd have a truly elite and properly diverse offense.

The other wild card is Howard's health. I don't trust his knees anymore and I don't think he does either. To commit big money to someone who will miss signifIcant time is foolish, even if they play well in the postseason, because that forces the other top guys to play more minutes than is ideal. A fresh Dwight in the playoffs means less than a properly paced Harden.

As enjoyable as it was to watch, I think this team overachieved somewhat last year. We cant let that trick us into thinking that all the pieces are in place and IF (and its a big if) the Rockets have a chance to replace Dwight with a big that can actually play both sides of the ball, they have to consider it.

8. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

This. People are forgetting that 15m/yr is the new 8-9m/yr deal, so i dont see him taking less than 20m a year.

I dont think hes going to be prime long enough to offer a max deal anymore, but I could see Morey giving him the 4th and/or 5th year if he takes a contract that give us flexibility to resign Lawson and bring in someone else.

SI has D12 rated in the top 20 players for next year, I think he will be in the top 30 easy with his defense\lobs alone.

There arent too many bigs coming into the league that could hold their own with Dwight, that alone will make him a top 5 center for the next 5 years barring MAJOR injury.

I think the time of players playing all 82 games is going away, we saw what Lebron did last year, with the proper minute management Dwight could run the show for the next 4 years at center, then start to hand it over to Capela, if he turns out to be as good as everyone hopes he will be.

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I meant "In a Vacuum" you re-sign Dwight. Obviously reality is always different. As I mentioned before-

A. We don't know who Clint Capela is yet as an NBA center. I mention Gilbert for this very reason. He looked like the future in a surprise early call up in a big moment, but you need more evidence, and book of work to make definite decisions based on that evidence. Basically... we need to see Capela for a full season at the 5 first.

B. We have no idea how the Dwight/Fegan/Morey talks are going to go. In a vacuum you want him back of course, but you need him to work with you on getting the conditions right for the franchise.

Dwight back on a mega max contract.... I do kind of agree with you that its not the right move for the organization. In a vacuum though, you know you want him back if possible, so this then becomes a human scenario where its flawed from accurate prediction.

Sure, but again there is a major human element to factor in. There is no "letting him go" necessarily. If he WANTS to make it work with Houston on another contract, you don't just tell him... "Naw... we are better without you and your max contract"... you try to make it work.

Again, I brought up Gilbert because he looked like the future, but next year was a different story for various reasons. The Yao/Injury situation is totally different from the point I was hoping to make.

My point is we need to see Capela play for an extended period this year before I'm comfortable (and Morey should be comfortable) seeing Dwight walk if it comes to that.

I think the best thing to root for here is that human element to kick in and defy predictions. Get everyone communicating and on the same page, and I personally believe they can make it work. Get Dwight back on a deal that makes sense for the next 4 years that still gives you flexibility to go out and have a big Summer to ultimately secure Harden's tenure on the back-half of his career.

If Fegan acts like Fegan with Dwight threatening to go elsewhere on a max deal, and Capela produced well enough in the 2015/16 season, I will be more than happy to say "See Ya" to Dwight and especially Fegan.

10. basketballholic

somebody asked me about my top Rockets trade targets so I blew them up in my signature so you could see them better. ;)

11. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

$22M per year for four years.

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

well if the largest contract he gets offered is from us than it will be 5 years ~$150M with 7.5% annual increases, and if it's not from us, other teams can only offer him 4 years ~$120M with 4.5% increases correct?

14. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Barkley took a 1 year deal way under market value to sign pippen and we know how that turned out for charles.

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Idle thought, but I wonder if we could sign Howard to the Year 1 max, but build in salary decreases instead of raises for the next 3 years like we've done with Ariza, and Beverley. So, he starts around $30m in 2016-17, but then takes a 7.5% reduction or -$2.25m each year. By year 4 (when he's ~34), he'd be making $23.25m. Max raises instead would be putting him at $36.75m that year. Given the wear on his body, I don't know if he'd still be worth $23m, but he certainly won't be worth $37m.

16. Nimo

Nimo Member

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Explains alot.
    Who would be the Replacement Center
    In the Short Window of 4~5 yrs at best for this current squad.

Part of the Equation is . . what else is there out there or on this team?
    What could we get for him?
    What are we without him?

Rocket River

18. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

If the Rockets dont win a title this season, and the team has a realistic chance at getting Durant next offseason, I am almost certain he will take a paycut OR go the route of 3 year deal...

If the Rockets do manage to win...zero chance Dwight takes a paycut.

19. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

Why do people keep people keep bringing up Dwight not feasting on Draymond.

I mean Gasol who has all the post moves didn't do much either..Green is no scrub on defense

20. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Draymond clearly got away with alot of fouls and that's a unanimous opinion by most people on this board and all basketball fans in general, even some Golden State fans.