1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015 NBA Summer League: Rockets vs. Suns 7/12/2015

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 12, 2015.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Houston got its 40 year old looking player not named Lebron or Greg Oden

2. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Not sure what you mean but there are better unsigned pgs in summer league right now than Cummings. He is not bad and worht an opportunity in the Dleague but would not sign him to a roster spot. Not unless he suddenly shows a lot more.

3. hooroo

hooroo Member

4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Summer league is so confusing

How is it that the # 1 and 2 overall picks look like scrubs averaging 10 points shooting mid 30% from the field, while undrafted d league players like Alan Williams, Seth Curry and Scotty Hopson dominate averaging 20+ points shooting near 50%

I know it just further proves the point that summer league doesn't mean ****, but it's just so odd

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think they are just lazy to turn it up a notch....if they continue to be lazy they will be up for a rude awakening

6. htownking

htownking Member

Hunger.

Most top picks probably know that they're a lock to make the team and usually end up going through the motions. Undrafted guys are fighting to get noticed, either by other NBA teams or foreign teams. Nothing is guaranteed for them so they tend to go extra hard. That's my take, anyway.

7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

$28 for the day.

8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Christian Wood is all heart and guts out there. Because he is clearly not in basketball shape.

9. Aruba77

Where are the clutchfans sitting? I want to be with red nation for today's game.

...and to nonchalantly scowl at Nick Johnson as he laughs it up on the bench in street clothes. ;)

10. nobie

nobie Member

It's simple, 1 and 2 pick have pretty much guaranteed starting spots. They dont need to prove anything in Summer league, they need to prove it in NBA. While these other guys are trying to prove they actually good enough to even have a chance in NBA. And tbh Seth Curry isnt a scrub either. He shows the same dribble and 3pt shooting his brother is famous for. Last season in dleague 48%, 3.7 per game 3pt.

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I'm not sure how wise it is to bring up a players d-league stats when trying to prove their not a scrub. Lol

He's played 4 games total in the nba, over the past 3 years, on 3 separate teams. He went un-drafted and has been a career d-leaguer, if he isn't the definition of a super scrub, then my user name isn't ThatBoyNick.

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

For Summer League I tend to just watch specific players and see what they do on the court. While watching yesterday pretty much all of my focus was on Harrell: how did he play off the ball, how did he position himself for offensive/defensive rebounds, is his height really a hindrance, how did he rotate on D, etc. I ignore the score and the stats and just use the ol' eye test.

13. Aruba77

What did your eyes tell you?

14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Lmao I know right? Haymitch quit being a tease and spill the beans on your expert scouting of Harrell!

Tbh he looked a little of lost, he gave lots of effort but things weren't really going his way. Also, not sure if he was just tired / not in game shape, but he didn't really look like the rebounding beast he was rumored to be.

15. Aruba77

Agreed he looked a little lost. I saw him pull down a couple of contested rebounds but agree he wasn't consistent. For his first game, not bad.

I kept wanting Cummings and others to just throw the ball up there close to the rim and see what happens. The guy can fly.

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

All 3 of the guys you mentioned need to be on Vipers this season.

17. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Well then you really need to watch some games.

Not saying several summer league games will determine the future career of a player.

But clearly Cummings are playing very decent, even comparing him to most of the other first round picks.

Keeping him in the roster actually is a much better choice than looking for Ish Smith again, which is about what's left on the FA market.

18. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

This above,

is actually coming from a guy watched the game.

Like many people said here, if you watch the game, its easy for you to like Williams or Cummings.

And if you have watched the game, its not surprised to understand why a shooter like Rice can not even find a job in this league.

Salute.

19. nobie

nobie Member

He played like whole 10mins in those 3years in NBA. I dont know why he wasnt really given a chance. But he can definitely be a backup 7-8 player. He has decent dribble and good 3pt shot. He's basically low risk really high payoff player tbh. I would take Seth over Deladova every time.

20. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

I don't look at the stats that way.

Stats wise, Rice Jr. stats for 2 games has been very solid and people who did not watch the game may think the same.

But it really isn't. He is probably one of the weakest spot in this team in terms of overall performance.

What I really like about Alan Williams are : he does not afraid contact, he ran the floor extremely well on both end, he does picks for his teammate when they don't even have the balls - he set picks for Rice many times when Rice is getting to position to get the ball. He is a decent FT shooter. He got lots of FGA but he is also got second highest assists in the game yesterday, so his shots are different than what Rice got, Williams got more chance to shoot because his spacing is good, he is always in a good position on the floor.

All these are signs for good quality skills, good basketball IQ and being a team player.

Similar thing can be said about Cummings also, he make more good decisions than bad one and that's also good sign of a decent player, even a role player has its value.