1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Marcus Thornton agrees to deal with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketpower2, Jul 12, 2015.

?

Do you like the signing of Marcus Thornton to a one-year, vet minimum deal?

1. YES

646 vote(s)
    95.1%
  2. NO

33 vote(s)
    4.9%
  1. ilovehtownbb

ilovehtownbb Member

why they call him ” little bucket" ?

2. malakas

malakas Member

yes agreed. But Raptors is one of the worst historically franhises in developing players (the worst is the Mavs lol). And if you see all their young talent has regressed. Ross JV Bebe . They made JV get too big and now he is too slow and can't move fast and can't even defend the pick and roll. He is still young ofc but he has shown no development. Shame.
    And Casey is one of the worst coaches in the league.

3. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Intriguing addition but what about a backup PG? Or a player who can actually create for himself as well as others?

But hey we have a long off season, so we'll shall see.

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Our roster is pretty loaded right now. I left off the obvious training camp guys who obviously won't make the team. Our off season roster limit is 20, but remember we have to get down to 15 by opening day: My thoughts:

1.) Pablo is retiring so he is gone, but that contract is still a nice trade asset, so they probably need to use it before season tipoff, or it is gone.
    2.) We pretty much have 11 NBA viable guys which leaves four spots for Kpap, McDaniels, Terry, Johnson, Thornton and Smith.
    3.) This team is primed for a consolidation trade. Moving Jones, Dekkar, Prigs and Kpap wouldn't make even make a dent in the roster.
    4.) My gut says Terry is gone, which sucks, oh well.
    5.) Our PG position is extremely weak, almost too weak. This makes me believe Morey has something lined up.

[​IMG]

5. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Pelicans were definitely interested in Boozer. Boozer is a poor mans aldridge... ok very poor.

6. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

in my 14 years deciphering insider riddles on this board, its usually the simplest answer is the right one.

i think the line about winning meaning more than money could be bird's team, or his bird rights. either way, i think the MLE will have to go to retaining him. cod did have that line about the MLE being spend on ____.

what's interesting to me is that most of these hints don't involve trading for a PG. he spoke of guard help but that became thornton. however, the roster suggests that a trade will happen. DM won't let papa/prigs NG contracts go unused. and he also wont go into next summer with dmo/jones both as free agents.

7. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i dont see what he would bring to the table. zero defense. at best would be our 5th best big... maybe even 6th best. how much could he really contribute in that role.

i'd rather use that roster spot on a young guy with potential, like wood.

8. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Morey better not replace Boozer for Smith.. if it comes to it give Smith the whole MLE

9. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Oops Smith for Boozer

10. malakas

malakas Member

cyber also said we were looking at backup bigs as Amare and Boozer.
    We have so much depth in the frontcourt this only means one thing. Trading bigs for small.

11. Raven

Raven Member

Why didn't other teams try to sign this guy?

12. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I'm going to go left field and say the RA connection is either:

Norris Cole
    or
    Bojan Bogdanovic

Cole was drafted by Adelman/Kahn in Minnesota but was then traded to Miami for the rights to....Bojan Bogdanovic.

I think the RA connection isn't as evident because there's not a lot of players he's coached in recent memory that deserves mentioning. I think it's more of the players he scouted/looked at and wanted on his team.

Cole wouldn't be a bad addition but we don't exactly need another average point guard.

Bojan is different....he's a pretty skilled SF that shot 35% from 3 last year. What if Morey's moving KPap + filler for Bojan? Helps Brooklyn somewhat by giving them the option to cut KPap and his unguaranteed contract and maybe pick up a future 2nd Rounder.

13. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

The Heat did and brought him in last week, but apparently weren't willing to pay the tax. They wanted to sign him after dealing Chalmers, but never could find a taker for Mario, and Thornton didn't want to wait around.

14. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

i wonder who's the shooting 4 that Cods talkin about...a squawking bird? seems to be a former Jayhawks...then LOOK...rhymes with his bro, Mook...so, Markieff Morris?

15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I'd like to note that Thornton has never played for Adelman.

Most of us have been searching for players that played under RA, or currently play for the teams he coached, but none of us looked at players who used to play on teams that he coached during a time period where he wasn't even with the organization. So we need to broaden our list potentially if codmans still hinting at another RA related player.

16. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

So now it's "Six Degrees of Rick Adelman"? If so, Cod sure knows how to hedge his bets.

17. Fantasma Negro

Jeff Harnecak

18. mdoggnic

mdoggnic Contributing Member

Squaking bird = Pelicans?
    Ryan Anderson?

19. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

i like the move. augustin next since OKC matching kanter? not sure if they'd be inclined to deal with us ever again after the harden trade though...

20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Thats what I was thinking, I need to see a full list of players that have played under teams that RA has played or coached for, but that would be a huge list.

Adelman played for the New Orleans Jazz, a 4 who is a lights out shooter, squaking bird sounds like Anderson.