1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sergio Llull will NOT join the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 1, 2015.

1. micah1j

micah1j Member

Where does it say the buyout was lowered?

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Per <a href="https://twitter.com/sportando">@sportando</a>, the extension Sergio Llull just signed with Real Madrid actually LOWERS his NBA buyout for next summer...</p>&mdash; David Weiner (@BimaThug) <a href="https://twitter.com/BimaThug/status/618070802844389376">July 6, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Lower buyout, better chance Llull comes over next summer.

3. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

This is what they are referencing.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/BimaThug">@BimaThug</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/HoustonVs_Era">@HoustonVs_Era</a> he extended his contract till 2021. But now his NBA buyout is less than €5M. So maybe next summer..</p>&mdash; Sportando (@sportando) <a href="https://twitter.com/sportando/status/618061252791791617">July 6, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Whatever my friend.:rolleyes:

It's time to move on & stop BEGGING this guy to come compete at the highest level of basketball. He's a big fish in a small pond and good for him. But Htown is in "win now mode" and would be better served to leave this guy where he is & get a guy who wants to compete for an NBA title now.

5. coweye

coweye Member

Maybe i make to much out of it but when this guy had to play 4 games in 10 days he looked like Lebron in last years finals after playing over 100 league games and playing for the US team the summer before. Totally exhausted. The Rockets just don't have time to get this guy ready to play through a punishing NBA season including playoffs.

6. spark06

spark06 Member

Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

7. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Factually correct... But not holding my breath

8. bbjai

bbjai Member

I think the reality is the guy is a joke. Let's look at a similar situation:

"European star Nikola Mirotic has agreed to a three-year, $17 million deal with the Chicago Bulls, according to Yahoo! Sports' Adrian Wojnarowski.

The Bulls acquired Mirotic from the Minnesota Timberwolves in a draft-night trade in 2011. The 23-year-old stayed overseas with Real Madrid of the ACB League for several years after getting drafted to develop his game, and he also had a hefty buyout in his contract.

This was the first offseason it made sense for Mirotic to come over to the Bulls, because he was finally off the NBA's rookie wage scale. The youngster agreed to pay a $3 million buyout to join Chicago."

Pretty sure as a Rookie Mirotic has ALOT more to lose yet he wants to play with the best and hence he took a risk (albeit a calculated one by waiting out the rookie scale) and has shown he can play with the best in a good veteran situation.

This is not the first time these Spanish players have done this. It's kind of sad because everyone wants to see the best players in the world compete. Guys like Llull and Fernandez are only interested in playing on their own terms. Most basketball players would die to make the NBA but these guys prefer to be the big fish in their little small ponds. That's ok, just goes to show they don't love the game as much as they say

9. hooroo

hooroo Member

llull would've more money on a full mle contract than he does in spain even with the buyout.

10. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

Except next year he can make like, 4m/y more than this year, while not paying 5m.... How much smarter is he than you?

11. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

I'm still salty about this. I hope his bota bag always misses and he squirts wine in his eye and he chokes on criadillas. Enjoy never knowing if you were ever good enough, ya coward. We really do have a knack for letting people honeydick us. Lllull, Bosh, Melo, Dragic. Gahhh, Lllull.

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Maybe they like being the TMac of Greece. There's no guarantee he'd fit in our system.

The desperate need for guard seemed like a good op here, but this thread needs to sink.

Sick of hearing this chump's name.

13. da_juice

da_juice Member

Man, he's not coming over. It's been six years since we acquired his rights. He just renewed his contract, he's not getting any younger and now was the perfect time and situation for him to come over, and he chose not to.

14. STIX

STIX Member

When are we going to accept that the kid is living his dream in Spanish league.
    He loves Real Madrid and the the city and club loves him. He's a memorable figure in the making for that club.

NOT EVERYONE has aspirations and dreams of playing in the NBA, and getting paid.

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

If Llull's new contract brings him a step closer to NBA then that is great news for Rockets. His rights have more value now. Package him with TJ, Paps and a lottery protected 1st for a legit PG.

Morey and fan base need to celebrate this guy, not tear him down.

16. hooroo

hooroo Member

Keep on dreaming. He's not coming next season or the year after that...

17. tomato

tomato Member

Very sorry to announce that I will NOT be joining the Rockets next sazon.

18. LuisGenjuro

LuisGenjuro Member

Honestly I don't know if you're just trolling or speaking out of ignorance.

It's funny you bring Fernández up, one of the international players who has left the most money on the table in order to play in the NBA. He was likely the best player left in Europe by the summer of 2008 and signed his first-round rookie contract that guaranteed him something like a grand total of $3 million for three seasons (peanuts for him at that point, as he could've made twice that money in just one season in a European powerhouse). After fulfilling that contract it was pretty clear he didn't have that much value in the NBA considering his dribbling and defense (lack of strength) shortcomings, and the fact that he had lost his shooting mojo. He just made the obvious choice, coming back to Europe and cashing in.

The difference between Mirotic and Llull is that Nikola is a lot younger and his buyout lower. Besides, Mirotic was already living in a foreign country in Spain.

19. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I was one of the many on here that's mad at Llull for deciding to stay overseas but now that I think about it, more power to him. I thought he was ball-less for not wanting to compete at the highest level of professional basketball but I can see why he wouldn't want to come over here. The man is going through his prime years overseas and is winning big over there. Why take a risk by going to another country and having to start at the bottom of the starting lineup again? We'd like to think that he would have started next to Harden when October comes around but, c'mon, realistically that would only happen if Bev got injured or goes into a funk next February.

Llull never teased us about wanting to come over and I haven't seen any DIRECT statements where he's told the media "I'm going to the NBA" or "Houston here I come!". It's been what was implied and assumed that's gotten most of us riled up.

We just need to move on from this situation.

20. malakas

malakas Member

what a bunch of bull****. Mirotic was a first round pick. The team actually invested a FIRST ROUND PICK and STILL it took him years to come over and managed to get out of the rookie scale contract. That means much more money and less years team control. If he had dont this to the Rockets you would be mad as hell.