1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Potential Point Guard Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BleedRocketsRed, Jul 5, 2015.

1. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

It makes no sense for the Pacers tbh.

2. RedBeard

RedBeard Member

You guys think Morey is waiting for Ricky Rubio(or Lawson)? He would be the perfect fit to run Rockets offense. It will be a masterpiece if that happens. Freestyle, unpredictable, quick run and gun offense, PnR's would be highlights with Capela, Howard, McDaniels and Harden/Ariza waiting to shoot.
    Midseason would be the perfect time to get Rubio, once TWolves realize they won't make the playoffs (like how we got Brew), they'll focus on the young again and trade Rubio(they were gonna last year).

JAMAL CRAWFORD(Reddick if possible!) is who we should get right now. TJONES, KPap, Dorsey, Priggs all could go. He is what Harden wanted, another scorer when he sits. So offense flows throughout the game, having elite offense+defense will tire any team (GS blueprint is this). Crawford is now possible with Pierce signed long term. Clips need Bigs and we have TJ to give right? What do you guys think?

#143 RedBeard, Jul 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2019
  3. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

1). Lowry
    2). Lawson
    3). Jennings
    4). Collison
    5). perhaps one of the Boston PGs?

...I would add Bledsoe but no way the Suns trade him within the western conference.

#143 Aruba77, Jul 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I feel bad for the people hoping we get a legit pg.

5. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Seems like we've been saying this for years now. But there's just too many options out there for us to not get somebody...

Lawson is available
    Collison could be available
    Jennings looks to be available (although he's not on my short list of guys I'd want on the Rockets)
    Lowry could be available (doubt it tho)
    I know there's more that I haven't mentioned

6. OpenLayup-Why3?

How did you feel about people who hoped to get LMA then? because adding PG this summer was really easy, but Morey keeps on napping...

7. OpenLayup-Why3?

Pacers are desperately looking for backup PG when they don't even have a top notch starting PG, no way they part their ways with Hill.

8. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I wouldn't go that far. Sure, we could've added a PG via the draft, but Morey is not gonna hand this team over to a rookie. The free agent crop wasn't bad, but they all seem to be getting 6.5-7 mil/yr which is out of our price range. And obviously Llull decided to stay in Spain. So we're left with a trade as our only option, but that's on hold until we know who is actually available(Collison, Lawson, Bledsoe, and Lowry could all stay right where they are) and if T-Jones is expendable since Smith isn't resigned yet.

9. Bezzle

Bezzle Member

How 'available' is Sergio Rodriguez? I think I read somewhere that his Real Madrid buyout is doable.

10. Zergling

Zergling Member

Joseph is from Canada. At some point you have to acknowledge there are factors that are completely out of the Rockets' control when it comes to free agency.

11. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

You mean James Harden?

1 person likes this.
  12. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

They have to find something at the 4 and there isn't really anything available. Especially not at the price of TJones and with potential.

Who? Who has signed for what we could pay, even if you disregard the opportunity cost of using the whole MLE on them?

13. Rockets1994

Rockets1994 Member

Really wish we could have gotten Isiah Thomas at the deadline. Great contract and would have been a nice playmaker off the bench

14. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Lawson is the logical target given our TO issues and need for another perimeter playmaker and scorer. Plus, he's a winner and his contract is very reasonable.

That said, the fact that he's not a Rocket right now tells me one of two things: #1) Denver wants too much for him -or- #2) DM isn't actually interested.

But he's the big name to keep an eye on, IMO. The rest of the guys potentially available don't necessarily move the needle all of that much. Lawson is close to a sure thing in terms of making us a better basketball team and negating arguably our biggest weakness (overall TO's).

15. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Maybe it's neither of those things. Maybe he is a target but it's only days into the moratorium and the big focus has been free agency so far. Maybe there has already been some conversations between Houston & Denver and maybe not.

I seriously doubt Daryl Morey is going to pull the trigger on a trade until the business with KJ and Josh are settled. Resigning KJ could make one of the Small Forwards on the team available in a trade. Signing Smith could make one of the Power Forwards on the team available. We will very likely not know until after the moratorium is over.

16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

What you say makes sense, however it is possible that Denver might move him to another team before the moratorium is over, although I think that is unlikely right now.

17. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Fair enough. I was probably being too literal when I said "right now".

Although, at the same time - if it were me, I'd get Lawson first then worry about second unit guys after the dust settles.

Either way, you're right about the moratorium. Once it's over we're probably going to see a lot of action all across the league.

18. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

To tack onto to crash's perspective.....I don't think many teams deal in trade (especially big ones like Lawson) until the moratorium is over simply because as crash said, most teams are dealing with their own FA's and signing FA's so they won't know who or what they have to deal with. After that's settled, people can make trades with a clearer understanding of their own rosters. Denver will probably want to wait just to see if other teams find they have a need for a PG like Lawson.

19. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

TJones + right to Llull + +Johnson + Papa for George Hill

save the MLE to re-sign JSmith (~$3.5M) and McDaniels (~$2M)

sign Scola, Terry with Vet. Min.

Trade pick+ Expiring contracts (Prig/Dorsey) for a shooter (I was hoping we trade a 2nd pk + Johnson + expiring for J.Dudley before he got traded to Wizards)

20. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

I actually wouldnt mind daren williams for a super cheap price