1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Spanish Radio] Sergio Llull close to deciding to join the Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by redhotrox, Jun 3, 2015.

1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

If the Rockets declined the team option for Papanikolaou, they could either:

(A) Extend a qualifying offer of nearly $6 million to make him a restricted free agent, in which case both (i) his cap hold would be that $6 million figure and (ii) Kostas would have the right to accept that offer at any time;

(B) Not extend a qualifying offer, in which case his (Non-Bird) cap hold would be about $5.76 million; or

(C) Renounce his rights to clear his ($5.76 to $6 million) cap hold off the books and create cap room.

Of course, the team could exercise (A) or (B) and still later exercise (C) . . . so long as they rescind the qualifying offer in time in the case of (A).

2. finsraider

finsraider Member

Ok, so it sounds like it could work. You just take option B and then sign him to his new salary (I estimated $2 million), and then that becomes his new cap hold. Thanks.

3. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Given the location of the holes on his jeans, that might not have been all the damage he suffered.

[​IMG]

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

My gut feeling is that McHale wants him, Morey is lukewarm to the idea. Llull probably has no desire to come to
    Houston. Morey is probably getting frustrated that he can't trade Llull's rights.

5. treyk3

treyk3 Member

RMBC has a chance to clinch the Liga Endesa today (game begins in approximately 3.5 hours). If they go for the sweep we should get a better picture of Sergio's potential arrival by week's end.

6. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Sincerely appreciate your contributions. Keep them coming, thank you.

7. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

If I understand how to use google properly to figure out what time it is in Barcelona, game 3 should be starting in about 10 to 20 minutes. Hopefully Madrid finishes em off and we can get a decision from him in the next day or two.

8. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

don't think we wi hear anything from him/anything official at least until right before free agency starts... he may make up his mind but it's unlikely we will know what he decides until around then

9. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Free Agency starts in one week. IT is right before free agency starts, that is why his lack of commitment cannot go on too much longer after the series is over. The Rockets FO have probably given him a deadline so they can operate knowing whether he will come over or not.

10. Raven

Raven Member

In a perfect world, the Rockets already know.

11. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

I know that, but we won't know the first day of free agency either IMO. We are going to probably go after some bigger name FAs and if that falls through then, we will resign our guys and try to get Llull. Typically the smaller moves are made a few days after free agency starts, not now around the time of the draft...

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I believe that the two sides are in agreement, agree to agreement, or acknowledged non-agreement. But, they 'all' know.

I just have to believe that. Even if there were an agreement to move to an NBA team of his choice (Toronto? NYK?)

13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I've wondered for awhile about the possibility that I bolded in your post. Not that I necessarily believe this will happen, but it exists in the realm of possibilities, and that money could go toward, say, KJ McDaniels, whatever.

What would his draft rights be worth as a draft pick? Would there be remuneration for the $$$ spent to get his rights?

Probably all academic, since he'd probably be a good fit alongside Harden, but one of those "what-if's"?

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well Llull's 10 points on 9 shots and 0 assists didn't make me feel any better about offering him 8 mil a year.

15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

How about his Finals MVP?

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Which was based entirely on his game 1 performance, if he performed like that in game 2 and 3, I'd feel a lot better about it.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Lull had 24 points in game 2 and went 6-8 from 3

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Wasn't that game 1? Perhaps I got the games mixed up. He had one good game and the other two were meh, that's what I was saying.

19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

That was game 2.

20. PrawnJ

PrawnJ Member

Good news is Real Madrid has won the title so Llull really has nothing else to prove..hopefully that spurs him to come here