1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Sources: Houston draft strategy revealed

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 22, 2015.

?

Should the Rockets draft the best player available?

1. Yes

118 vote(s)
    81.9%
  2. No

26 vote(s)
    18.1%
  1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/spo...hp?t=884542eac6f992f472&cmpid=twitter-premium

Hopefully they land the best player available this time around instead of one of those inferior players. It's a wise approach since no freshly drafted player is likely to be very useful in his first season.

1 person likes this.
  2. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Yeah but best player available in general? Orrrrrr in the draft?

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

But what if there is a shooting guard that is just a teeny tiny bit better than an available point guard?

We really need a pg.

Would that tiny bit of difference really matter?

4. Carl Herrera

The things is, neither of them is likely to the Rockets in the upcoming season. Few rookies ever break into the rotation of 50+ win teams and really help a team substantially. As Gersson Rosas says, to really fill those needs you likely go for an experienced player via free agency or trade.

And for 2016-17 and after, do we even know what these future teams will need?

5. Mr. Clutch

Well most likely we still have Harden as SG.

Is that tiny bit of difference bigger than the chance Harden leaves?

6. alethios

alethios Member

I contend that the BPA can also fill a need, if said player is better than the current roster for that position. There's always seems to be PFs available and this draft is no exception, and it's even deeper in the PF pool. If we draft a PF, he could very well be working his way to the starting spot, if for instance, we decide to trade DMo plus filler for another proven player.

1 person likes this.
  7. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

Part of me wants to be cynical and say it doesn't matter who they draft, because McHale won't play them even if we'd look pretty good with them out there.

*Meh* Just do whatever you think's right Morey/McHale.

8. Mr. Clutch

Yeah, other than Parsons, Beverley, Capela, Tjones, and DMo, McHale doesn't play any young guys.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Best player available at the position of need

10. Mr. Clutch

That's the same thing as drafting for need

11. Carl Herrera

First, just because Harden is on a team, it doesn't mean that another SG cannot get into the rotation. Position is a fluid thing. A lot of times a team can play two natural "SG" together. If SG pans out, there are plenty of ways to find him minutes.

Second, if you have a duplication of talent, you can always trade one of them.

So, yes, I'd take the guy who is a little bit better, who has a little bit more of a chance of actually being useful in the NBA, even if I don't see an immediate positional need.

12. Ismail

Ismail Member

At 18 you can't think that the Rockets are going to get an impact rookie specifically at a position of need. You draft the best player available, and if that means another player on your roster is expendable (to upgrade a glaring hole), then great. Looking at the draft as a long-term project is what allowed us to develop guys like Brooks, Parsons, Motiejunas, Jones, and Capela. If the BPA fills a position of need, that's icing on the cake.

13. Mr. Clutch

What if it's like a .00000001% chance that hes better? Still?

Also, why do we trade for need instead of bpa? Why don't we sign bpa in free agency instead of need?

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I like how this article by Chad Ford from prior to the 2012 NBA Draft http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/nba-draft/insider/post?id=74 starts with Royce White shutting down workouts because he may have gotten a promise from a team that he'd be drafted (albeit, Chad thinks it may be the Celtics) and ends with the "Houston is one of those teams that will always draft the best player available, regardless of need."

Just thinkin' out loud guys, just thinkin' out loud ...

15. Chamillionaire

I think with the team we have, the fact that we have a player in Harden and Dwight who are both in their primes, Dwight being older and having a window, basically Brewer and Josh Smith falling on our laps, we really need a vet PG. Any PG available there at 18, whether it be Tyus Jones, Grant, Wright, Rozier are not going to be running this team next year with Harden.

We need a vet with experience. Llull just won 4 trophies last year in what's arguably more difficult league than the NCAA.

Hopefully we resign and get our healthy Beverly back in fold.

I'm ok with that. If we were able to sign a cheap FA like a Vasquez, I'm ALL for it.

What I don't want is to pass up on someone like Looney, Oubre, Dekker, or Lyles to draft Tyus Jones who I don't see coming in and contributing right off the bat.

16. Chamillionaire

[​IMG]

17. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Well players you trade for or sign actually have logged NBA minutes and have at least some kind of idea of who they are as a player, rookies you sometimes don't even know if they will stick in the league.

And even further I'd say we as a team do trade for and sign bpa.

We just recently traded for Harden and signed Dwight, both likely the best players available to us, they just so happened to fiill a need as well.

If jimmy butler or Marc Gasol actually came out and said I'm going to Houston, I think Morey would probably do whatever moves necessary to be able to sign either one and figure out the rest later. They definitely don't fill a need but you always take the talent and figure it out later.

18. xaos

xaos Member

Rockets philopsphy: (CH₃)₂C(C₆H₄OH)₂

1 person likes this.
  19. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Wrong. We'll draft the best rookie pg available and he'll come in and play 82 games for us. He'll start and average 15 and 7.

-Clutchfans

20. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

6'8 Power Forward who shoots threes.