1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are we assuming the old Motiejunas will be back next season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Jun 3, 2015.

1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I don' think I've read too many, if any, comments about DMo possibly having trouble coming back from back surgery next year. I think many are assuming he'll be back to normal, once he's cleared in August, but will he? Will he need weeks or months, maybe the whole season, to come back?

Dwight had the same procedure done and we know he wasn't the same as a Laker. I'm not sure how much of that was due the details of the surgery versus the success of his rehab though. The bottom quote implies he may have needed an extra off season all along, in which case, DMo may not really be back to full strength next year.

http://thegoodpoint.com/dwight-howard-back-injury/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20195192

Just something to think about going forward...

2. fearthebeardman

3. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Mo D Mo. U watch. He can do it !

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Damn. Though I'd like to know who those players were so I could place some context around their injuries.

5. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I don't remember where I read it, but I seem to recall reading that though the procedure was the same, D-Mo's injury isn't nearly as serious as Dwight's was. Anybody recall this?

6. Newlin

Newlin Member

I hope he's better than the old Motiejunas. Even when healthy, it was often debatable whether he was better than TJones.

7. linkz1993

linkz1993 Member

the Difference is Dwight was out of shape and played to get in shape during that season...

8. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

DMo won't be able to train or play this summer either.

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Players don't need a whole season to get in shape. Maybe a third of the season, but not 82 games.

10. MuddyWaters

MuddyWaters Member

you have to realise his game isnt based on athletecism. I dont think it will take long for his body to get back into rythm

11. linkz1993

linkz1993 Member

Dwight wasn't good that year till after the all star break , but totally different players , one relies on athleticism and the other is more grounded and skilled offensively .

12. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I'm not sure he can get less athletic short of having his spine severed. He is also younger than Dwight was when he had surgery so my uneducated, homer gut tells me he will be 100% by week's end.

13. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Guys, athleticism isnt defined purely by explosion and strength. DMo relies heavily on coordination, agility, balance, etc...all dimensions of athleticism. He needs to be able to spin/pivot well. Ultimately, they both need their core to respond well and their movement to progress up to a high level, for them to be athletic again, regardless of what shape or form that is for each of them.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If I am not mistaken Dmo's was less of an issue than Dwights.

DD

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I expect him to be a more improved version of "old Motiejunas" given that he's improved every off-season thus far, no reason to think he'd stop now.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Someone photoshop an "old" DMo.

17. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Dwight couldn't feel his legs for 2 months or so, and was basically a cripple, Dmo was on the treadmill the day before the surgery, lol

18. RedNation97

RedNation97 Member

I think, like Dwight, he'll take a little while to get back in shape but will eventually make a full recovery before the end of next season.

19. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

the answer to your title question is , yes. we do expect it.
    (always be positive )

I'm sure Mr. Morey isn't though , he can't afford to put all the PF eggs in Dmo'so basket. it will be an influence on paying Josh or trading Terrence .

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Frankly, "old Motiejunas" isn't no more than decent.