1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade Terrence Jones ASAP

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Beardaholic13, May 19, 2015.

Tags:
  1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I could totally see the Rockets trading for a PG. But that's besides the point. What does Terrence Jones have to do with that? Why is he a player folks automatically throw in the proposed fake trade when, if you really look at the Rockets roster, there is a possibility that the Rockets might REALLY NEED him or a player like him if -

A. Smith doesn't return, or is unreliable
    B. D-Mo's back surgery is an issue next year *
    C. replaceable caliber PF's go for more than the minimum in free agency

*(which is something people are WAAYYYY too optimistic with their assumptions. Nobody wants a healthy D-Mo more than me FYI)

I wouldn't be shocked if Jones is dealt either, but I think the Front Office is smart enough first to answer question marks about the position first before they just "Trade Jones ASAP" like so many people are just assuming happens.

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

It's nice to argue what Jones trade value is or might be.
    Who really knows?

Seems pretty clear DM won't let him go for something as small as a second rounder - unless it is a pure cap clearing move with a 100% need for a signing.

It is also almost 100% guaranteed DM will explore trade options on him... because he does for almost everyone, and because of the contract situation. And because absent some medical info on DMo that only the Rockets know about, if you're looking to upgrade that position, you'd rather keep DMo over the other two guys.

If there is nothing valuable offered in return, and no need to free up cap space, TJones will be on the team next year.

His flaws are his flaws and his strengths are his strengths.

3. malakas

malakas Member

Well obviously not every trade would be beneficial. I just gave out fast some ideas without considering fit for the Rockets lol :grin: and thats only two team trades more teams can get involved where all their needs are filled.

It doesnt matter in the end what fans or haters say. Morrey is the gm. He has a big known history of trades.
    one of his best trading assets ( well actually two of them ) is about to get devalued - nothing to do with on court performance. Other than that it is known to everyone around the league that the Rockets will be after the Durant sweepstakes. This puts pressure in the team. Rfa will be the number one target for teams who have no hopes for the big names and while the rockets wait for an answer the clock will be running the 72 hours to decide to match or not and pull yourself out of the star hunt.

Do you think that he will let Jones or Dmo leave for nothing? And if both enter free agency at the same time chances one of them leaves for nothing multiply.

4. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

No doubt either D-Mo or T-Jones is a goner eventually, even if Smith doesn't resign. Probably T-Jones as D-Mo is a better player(injury notwithstanding) and has way more upside. Morey will find a cheaper backup 4 to replace the outgoing player. There's no way the Rockets will give extensions to both D-Mo and T-Jones if they have any hope of luring(and affording) Durant in 2016.

5. Nook

Nook Member

It depends on whether you think he is a trade "throw-in" or has value and needs to be included to get a quality point guard. I also believe that he can be replace by a player such as Brandon Bass.

6. dobro1229

His production can be replaced but at a cost. Bass made more than 6 million dollars last year. Yes... Jones can be replaced, but they aren't getting that level of production and versatility elsewhere on a rookie contract. That's the main issue we are faced with when it comes to that "replacement player".

If somehow a Brandon Bass gets overlooked during free agency and suddenly becomes available at the vet min (highly unlikely) then sure it makes moving Jones that much more viable. We need to get that replacement player in a Rockets uniform on a budget contract before we can make that assumption. Easier said than done.

TBH, I think (just my opinion) Jones is thrown-in virtually every trade proposal by certain individuals just because they want him gone because they don't like him as a player. They are going to keep putting him in trade proposals no matter what the situation is in Houston and the needs the Rockets have at at the 4/5. I am perfectly aware of that.

If you want to talk about a package for a PG, first things first.

A. Who is the PG?
    B. What team are they on?
    C. What is going to benefit that team the most?
    D. Are there substitute assets you can include that do not rob Peter to Pay Paul on the basketball court?

Then you start talking about that package which might or might not include Jones, D-Mo, or whoever. Not sure why before you even look at A, B, C, and D, Jones is ALWAYS the first thing brought up.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Crazy amount of conversation for a 3rd string PF. The talk about how Jones "can be replaced but at a cost" is ridiculous. How hard is it to replace a 3rd string PF?

What is it that Jones does that would be at all difficult to replace? Is it really that hard to find an athletic tweener forward with a limited offensive game, mediocre rebounding, and poor defense?

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Also, the reason Jones always gets brought up as filler in every trade discussion is because he's not needed.....he's a way the Rockets could give something up without giving up anything of value.

9. Takeoff

Takeoff Member

Terrence and our first to the pacers for george hill and their first (11th). Probably would have to include the nyk 2nd, if they insisted.

Thoughts?

10. basketballholic

Larry Legend snickers and hangs up.

11. Beardaholic13

Beardaholic13 Member

The trade i would come up with is simple...Jones, NO pick, Kpap/capella for lawson, den 2nd

I would hate to include capela but i dont think they say to kpap

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Because they (reportedly) are going to have West and Scola back?

But, who of Larry Legend or P-Jax would say no to: Hibbert for Calderon? Just curious.

13. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Not that bad.... Still has viable skills if he played just a bit bigger.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I see it a bit differently, he has physical talent, but very little actual skill, that's why his performance is so inconsistent. When it comes to the mental side of the game, he's no better than he was in college. His defensive positioning and footwork is poor, his defensive awareness is poor. He doesn't have a consistent shot, despite his FT% being decent for a Rockets big man. He has no real go to moves other than pump faking over and over again and hoping someone bites on it.

If he was a little bigger, he could get by on physical talent alone, but since he's not, he needs to develop some of his game....something he hasn't done at all yet.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Given the rise of the Pelicans, other young teams and OKC coming back

I am not sure the road to another 2nd playoff seed is all but secure

I am not sure both moves can assure that. Bass is an average veteran PF but we need a PG that is true though

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I just don't see the need for Brandon Bass. Odds are pretty solid that Smith comes back fairly cheaply because he's still getting paid by Detroit so our backup PF spot is already locked down and DMo's the starter. Why would Brandon Bass sign here to take Jones' spot as the 3rd strong PF?

17. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

You are all fools. You keep both DMo and TJones in contract years and watch them play their butts off for the big contract. Once that high level play is seen, then you make your trade.

Bunch of friggin' rookies up in this thread. Stop talking rooks, you look as foolish as a fan that has only seen Jones play this year. He finishes well at the rim when healthy, has great handles for a PF, he can drive well left and finish with his left, his 3 point shot is enough to spread the floor, he blocks shots, plays very well with Dwight, and when he switches to a smaller man (which our defense is predicated on) he does really really well especially late in the shot clock. No player is everything you want and no player will ever be close to what you want when they're fighting an injury all year. I scouted the guy when he was with the Vipers, trust me, there's more there than you'd like to believe.

Also, Bass was pivotal for the Celtics. Don't think he's going anywhere fast or cheap. Anyhoo, big ups to all the non-fools in here. You know who you are.

18. OpenLayup-Why3?

Did you not watch the game this year when Durant was calling Howard a p***y in front of cameras? Or do you assume Howard will not be a Rocket soon?

19. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Why would Durant do that? Howard's dick is bigger than Durant's arm in circumference.

20. dobro1229

Saying that Terrence Jones was not needed or won't possibly be needed just shows how closed minded you and other posters are about Jones to begin with. I seriously think some of you really don't even watch the games and just post after playing 2k.

There is literally nothing he can do on the court that would ever convince you we shouldn't get rid of him at all costs. The distain and hate is obnoxious. You don't actually read what people are saying and say the same old nonsense over and over.

The worst part is people actually follow your lead with this nonsense hating.