1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Dress Shoes] Best brands/value

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by LCAhmed, May 29, 2015.

1. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

OP specifically asked for value. Dropping $300+ isn't value.

2. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

OP also asked for shoes that don't fall apart after a year. Value is spending $200-$300 on dress shoes that will last a decade or more.

3. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

$300 for shoes that you plan on wearing regularly is not a lot. I don't care how much you make, if you have the money to presumably spend at least $300 on a computer or a smart phone, there's no reason you shouldn't spend a similar amount on a quality pair of shoes (assuming you have a need to regularly wear such shoes).

TWS1986 likes this.
  4. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Allen Edmonds are probably your best and most convenient bet here in Houston, although if expect to pay close to 400 for a good pair. Not only is the quality excellent, but they make it stupid easy to have your shoes resolved when the time comes (you just drop them off at the store). I don't wear them myself, as their lasts don't fit my foot well. My father has a pair however, and he's very happy with them.

Carmine's are also nice - I own a pair of the black 3 hole derbys, but they're a more snug fit and slightly more expensive than AEs. I believe Norton Ditto might have one or two pairs left, which you could try on to see if the last fits your foot ok. If it does, you could probably find a good deal for them online given the current exchange rates.

Stay away from pretty much anything sold at DSW - you're better off going to the clothing discount places (Nordstrom rack, Marshalls) as they occasionally (though very rarely) get in some high quality shoes. I found a pair of John Lobbs at Marshalls once for an unbelievably stupid low price (too bad they didn't fit).

Whatever you get, make sure it fits you comfortably. You can have a $2000 pair of shoes, but if they're tight in the toes or rub your ankle, they're no better for you than a dollar store option.

I'm partial to Gravatis myself, and while you can find deals for them online, they run about 600 new here in Houston. So patience is a virtue of you want to get a good deal (I usually wait until the mid year or post New Years sales).

1 person likes this.
  5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

AE's rep is based more on the value you get from their anniversary sale which you just missed. Their regular prices are a little to close to good premium brands IMO.

6. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Good info! I'll definitely be doing research!

Awe shux, that's a bummer. eBay it is then :(

7. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

They had an anniversary sale? I get their promotional e-mails and the only sale I knew of was for the seconds.

But I'd wait for other sales. You can find Allen Edmonds cap-toe oxfords for around $200 new once to twice a year. I know Nordstrom typically does a sale once a year. Jos A Bank sells Allen Edmonds cap-toes from a different last (different fit) and I know they sold for around $200. From what I heard, the Jos A Bank models aren't cheaper Walmart-like knockoffs, they just have a different fit.

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

spanish maker Mezlan is usually reasonable…..you can check them on zappos

9. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Bass has a sale going on now for 40% off lowest price.

10. LCAhmed

Only up to size 13 :(

11. LCAhmed

I bit on some Allen Edmonds for their Father's Day Sale. Pair of Oxfords and Driving Shoes.

12. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

I am looking for black dress shoes for work. Since my budget is $80 or less, I am hoping to get shoes that will last a year or so with frequent use. Any brands/styles you can recommend would also be appreciated.

13. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

http://www.aldoshoes.com/us/en_US/m...ldCategorySequence221&show=All&viewAll=false#

http://www.aldoshoes.com/us/en_US/men/shoes/dress-shoes/c/221/NOSSA/p/45558999-22

http://www.aldoshoes.com/us/en_US/men/shoes/dress-shoes/c/221/LUCHINUS/p/45171487-97

http://www.aldoshoes.com/us/en_US/men/shoes/dress-shoes/c/221/GWENOG/p/45537493-97

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

1 person likes this.
  15. Hustle Town

16. i3artow i3aller

I prefer sneakers disguised as dress shoes.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. body slam

body slam Member

Do you really want a everyday pair of shoes to last longer than a year?

18. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

I buy Cole Haan since a size 10 has always been a size 10 and they fit pretty uniform. For me they are nice shoes but I like to keep my shoes in the $50-150 dollar range. So that makes for them to be somewhat disposable after a few years of use.

1 person likes this.
  19. Hustle Town

No, they don't have to last longer, but I'd prefer for them to make it to a year.

20. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Cole Haan bro. Have two pairs and love em'