1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Fire McHale Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FTW Rockets FTW, Apr 19, 2012.

1. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

this is true also

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Exactly what my son said last night. To lose 2 games in a row in the same manner...with the inability to respond to halftime adjustments from the opposing team...that's not good.

They won't fire him, though. Not on the heels of that extension. At least I don't think they will.

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

This comment received this anonymous rep (why not just reply???):

I think 95% of the criticism McHale receives on here is stupid and that he's had some very good moments, but I've never thought he was a great coach. Obviously there are better coaches in the world.

But like I said, he isn't getting fired. So something else will be done. (I probably should have put my post in a different thread as it is off topic so my bad.)

4. seeingred

seeingred Member

McHale isn't going anywhere. Just let that sink in, let the sadness wash over you.

Our only hope is what we've already been hoping for - a young X's & O's jedi assistant coach who can regulate McHale to "Spokesman and Encourager of Players".

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Honestly, as much as I like Morey - he has to be held accountable for hiring McHale and worse - extending him.

I seem to recall Morey saying he does not believe coaching makes that much of a difference, and I think 100% the opposite.

Why we got rid of hall of fame coaches like JVG and Adelman for this guy is beyond me.

Imagine how much better we would be - we could actually make adjustments.

DD

6. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

Like many of the recent posters have said, this is the first time I agree with this thread. The only adjustment McHale made from Game 3 to Game 4 was hacking Jordan earlier in the game. And even that backfired lol. A lot of people will say that the Rockets' attitude was bad and it wasn't really on McHale, but a team that believes in their head coach and a head coach that knows what they're doing can adjust any attitude. The attitude of a team is inherent in the attitude of the coach, and just how McHale looked helpless and hopeless last night, so did the team.

He probably won't be fired, but if he were to be fired, where do we go? Van Gundy? Mark Jackson? Promote from within?

7. MFG16

MFG16 Member

Cuban took a lot of heat for saying we were predictable but he was completely right and we ignored him because he's from Dallas. The Rockets are never going to win a championship with Mchale as the Head Coach. Yeah, we'll win our regular season games and do favorable against teams that are inferior but the end goal should be rings. Get a competent Head Coach and a real PG who can run the offense (a real offense) while we still have a window with Harden/Howard. This BS can not last any longer. Stop chasing stars that don't even fit your scheme Morey and do whats freaking needed.

Head Coach
    PG

Do that before you get canned and we have to add GM to that list.

8. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

The problem with statistics is that its great for the regular season. With 82 games played over the course of 6 months, the law of averages wins out and you can look like one of the best teams in the NBA, statistically. We were 6th in defensive efficiency this season I believe, but is there anything about this team that screams out elite defense?

You get through the playoffs one game at a time. A team with little discipline and mental toughness that is lead by a coach who doesn't know the game as well as championship-caliber coaches do, will never succeed in the playoffs.

9. thejav

thejav Member

Is Rick Adelman still alive? He would do wonders with this team..

10. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/72749/the-nbas-top-head-coaching-prospects

There are a few options right there. And those are just up-and-coming coaching prospects. There are countless others out there who are former head coaches or former players who could easily do a better job than McHale.

11. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

This thread is 3 years old. The FO just chooses to bury their head in the sand.

Kick McHale upstairs if they want him to recruit players. Get a real coach who will not be dictated on by Morey.

12. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Our next coach is...

[​IMG]

13. MFG16

MFG16 Member

I personally wouldn't mind if we called up SMU and talked to Larry Brown. Hell, wouldn't even mind talking to Adelman again.

14. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Morey already extended him for three years more, luckily it is not four more years.

15. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

This series is also letting the national media onto the secret that Mchale is completely out of ideas and desperate.

16. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I could see him being a good NBA coach someday, but he's never even been an assistant. Granted, neither was Kidd before segueing into coaching, but it may be too soon for Shane.

Anyone know if Mario Elie has any interest in being a head coach? He was an assistant under Pop for a year and then with the Warriors. And in those interviews he does every week on 610, he refers to the Rockets as "we" as if he's part of the organization still. I have no idea how good he'd be as a coach, but I know he would never tolerate a team not trying on the defensive end.

17. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

So far, Les has not hired any his former player even as an assistant yet, I do not think he is going to hire Elie as a head coach. Of course, Elie has an interest, it is hard to think he does not.

18. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

I wish. I was really hoping Houston would bring him aboard and add him to the staff as soon as he retired.

19. torocan

torocan Member

The main thing about Kidd is his position as a PG. PG's view the game very differently than players in other positions. PG's focus on how to exploit defenses and find their men. They spend a lot of time studying the defenses of the opposing team and trying to find seams.

Kidd was also one of the best to every play the position and is going to end up in the Hall of Fame.

For a guy like Kidd, the transition is a LOT easier than other positions as PG's tend to already be good at X's and O's and as well as understand how to lead other players on the floor.

20. Zergling

Zergling Member

Battier as a coach is actually a pretty fantastic idea. He's a smart guy and understands analytics. I'd definitely want him to join us as an assistant at a minimum.