1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Things to work on for next season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Kim, May 10, 2015.

1. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

The problem with defensive precision is you need court time together, watch this series and you see how many communication errors occur. For the most part half of the team hasn't really played with the other half. It's not like our defense just got awful in the playoffs either, it was pretty bad after we lost beverley and dmo down the stretch too (our defense was ranked #2 when those 2 went down, it ended at about 8 or 9 if i remember).

2. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

Is Brewer going to be a part of this team long term? He was completely taken advantage of in this series. Questionable shooting and decision making in the half court. Same story for Josh Smith. I don't know if I want either back.

3. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I agree with this, but before you grow the team unity on defense, you have to make sure you have the right ingredients. It will take time. Hopefully, they will have a significant improvement in this area by next year's playoffs.

4. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Brewer will get more money and sign with OKC. Billy Donovan will take him.

Josh Smith won't get paid from anyone. He will take a small 1 year deal to better his game and stay with Dwight.

Jones or D-Mo will be traded on Draft Night.

5. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

Of those two I am taking Dmo. Jones is consistently inconsistent.

6. hooroo

hooroo Member

rockets need to get better on defense not worse.

somehow, someway add lull, wesley mathews, and aldridge without losing ariza.

7. JHarden713

JHarden713 Member

New coach and a legit pg

8. ThatboyPhuong

ThatboyPhuong Member

I want reggie jackson and lemarcus aldridge..

9. dischead

dischead Member

How about if you can't make 70% of your free throws you're off the team.

10. Lorenzomax

Lorenzomax Rookie

My honest suggestion would be:

FIRE MOREY

11. ThisIsOurCity

ThisIsOurCity Member

Add letting Josh Smith walk to the list.

12. illwil29

illwil29 Member

Did you watch lowry's playoff debacle in Toronto?

13. Zergling

Zergling Member

I'm looking forward to seeing Llull as a Rocket, assuming he signs a contract. He's a 3s and FTs guy. Great complement to Harden.

14. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

Not sure whether to blame this on McHale or not. If yes, we need a new coach (I doubt that happens)

and of course, as always, 3 and D players. You cant run that "Analytics" offense with players who can shoot 3s.

15. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

He shoots under 30% from threes and that's international line. This guy has no shot.

16. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

You can teach defense much easier than offense.

That said, two steps.

1. Acquire great shooters/scorers.
    2. Hire a great Defensive coach.

17. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The thing that concerns me is that Howard and Harden have developed no discernible chemistry on the offensive side. Their 2man game is rarely run and even when it is, it rarely leads to an easy basket. I just don't think their games compliment each other well - Howard is best when he can stick within 5ft from the basket while Harden needs that space to maximize his ability to drive to the basket. So as a result, opposing teams can pack the paint and essentially neutralize both of them. Maybe adding a third guy who is an elite shooter would help, but it still won't improve the interplay between Howard and Harden.

So if management were to decide they aren't a good match, then who would they keep. Harden was the entire offense during the regular season but folded in the postseason (for the 2nd year in a row) while Howard played poorly in the regular season but showed up and played hard in the playoffs. Harden has been an iron man in terms of playing every game while Dwight has missed large amounts of time due to injury. I just can't say who would be the one to keep if the team were to split them up.

I also think this team needs a disciplinarian as a coach. our guys are too lackadaisical and unfocused.

18. newAge_Rockets

Fire the man that acquired two superstars for our team while we didn't have to suffer through countless losing seasons. C'mon now. I do agree though that if Morey wants to maximize his systems of threes, free throws and layups he better get some players that fit the system. Brewer and Smith just don't fit in it. I have faith that Brew can improve his shooting in the offseason now knowing what in game shots he'd get, but I'm pretty much done with Smith.

19. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

We can bring him back if he's cheap. No need to over-extend for a guy who's one-dimensional at best, and a big time offensive liability.

20. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

If we're going to be giving up 120 a night, may as well try to score 130. LOL