1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TV] Better Call Saul

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ItsMyFault, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

That's one great brother Saul has there. I did not see that coming.

2. B

B Contributing Member

I wasn't surprised by it, but I enjoyed the way Jimmy handled it. His brother was very patronizing to Jimmy, even when he was doing well earlier in the show, and when he talked about where he got his degree, you could tell there was disappointment, with patronizing congratulations. I think the whole chimp with a machine gun bit is where Jimmy realized no matter what he did or said, he wasn't ever going to be a lawyer in his brother's eyes.

Mike's side story tonight was very enjoyable. The whole pimento cheese sandwich bit had me rolling over in laughter. I think they could have made a spin off series with just him and it would have been very enjoyable in a different way. BCS splitting of time between Jimmy and Mike has been a fantastic decision.

3. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i agree with both of those. i just wonder where it's going, and what type of cliffhanger it'll leave. 10 episode seasons aren't long enough.

4. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I saw it coming based on the other episodes on how his brother was treating him. You can see it.

As far as someone posted on the other page, I always enjoyed Walt's character in BB.

5. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

So, Nacho is Ignacio- who Saul refers to in BB when Walt and Jessie take him out blindfolded to the desert at night.

"Talk to me, guys! Come on. Just tell me what you want! Jesus! It wasn't me! It was Ignacio! He's the one!"

They think of everything. Nicely done, guys.

6. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Howard Hamlin seems like a pretty stand up guy now, right?

7. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Trevor from GTA V got throat punched and Vaas from Far Cry 3 is a bad dude.

I approve of where Peter Gould and Vince Gilligan find their talent!

8. dandorotik

Howard Hamlin has probably been faking the hate all along. Chuck was a dick to his brother, but he's got a reason to be worried about his brother- especially seeing as how Jimmy was still pulling stunts a la the billboard thing. You have to feel really bad for Jimmy, but then, we know it's hard to trust him. And Mike's a bad ass who has to live the rest of his life believing he caused his son's death.

No one gets off easy. No one-dimensional evil characters- it's summed up perfectly by Mike, which I think is in essence the theme of both Better Call Saul and Breaking Bad: "I didn't say you were bad, I said you were a criminal. There are good criminals and bad cops, bad priests and honorable thieves..."

And if the story of Walter White is seeing how dramatically one can change, maybe the story of Saul Goodman is seeing how much one can stay the same.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Will there be a back story on Howard Hamlin or is he just that shallow douche boss?

10. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Really enjoyed the Saul show. I knew Chuck never respected Jimmy as a lawyer, but to do his own brother like that, I don't see how he could have after seeing how hard he's worked and his growth as a lawyer.

Mike's side story, while great on its own, wasn't really feeling it. I don't see how these two are integrating, especially with one episode left. With Breaking Bad, every scene mattered. And to spend this much time on Mike's side story, just felt off to me.

11. Asian Sensation

Damn dat der character development. Oh so good!

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

As I watched further it dawned to me that his brother is holding him back in the first place

:p

13. dandorotik

But he's not as much of a douche as you think- he clearly faked the tough guy thing with Kim, and he's been the "bearer of bad news" to Jimmy all on Chuck's behalf.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Thanks. I watched the end of the episode and figured it out.

It will be interesting to see if Saul will be working with Howard in the future as Chuck's health might be deteriorating when on his own without any aid from his family member(s).

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think it is a safe bet to say that you could care about your brother but being dishonest and lying about it it's not the best way to go about it.

And making Hamlin look like fool and hatin on Jimmy that is probably worse.

Well, Chuck is on his own.

16. dandorotik

Oh, he's the biggest dick on the show, no doubt- just saying that he has reason to worry about his brother- but, yeah, F**k Chuck.

17. Rox11

Rox11 Member

How can you be so egotistical and prideful to not want someone to succeed based on you working harder then they had too?...

18. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

That isn't too far from the truth with some people. Some people view their accomplishment in higher regard than others because of how they did it. It's not uncommon at all.

Last night's episode just continued the upward rise of the series. Some damn good acting as well, especially in the final scene from both parties.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Would not surprise me if that argument with Chuck would send James onto his way to become criminal friendly Saul G and seek out Mike's help.

20. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

That's a sign of a truly great show, when you see a twist coming but it still totally pays off and leaves you on the edge of your seat.

Anyone else see next week's preview, no clue what happens next but it looks like it involves an old friend of Jimmy's.