1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

who starts, how are the minutes for the bigs distributed when dwight returns?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fonzie_004, Mar 8, 2015.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Dwight and Smith will be on the floor at the same time, their games complement one another's plus both will get the bulk of the minutes at 4 and 5.

2. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Who told you about the minutes coin? That's info privy to sheep only, not to the truly smart people.

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Really love our big man rotation. Very excited to see how well they play defensively once they get used to each other a little bit.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

You mean goat?

Brewer's goat distributes the minutes.

5. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Completely disagree with that statement. They can co-exist on defense just fine. However, both are limited offensive players who's limitations are magnified when they are on the floor with another limited offensive player. This is why the Josh / Dwight starting line-up failed so bad when Josh first came to Houston and why Josh has been so much more successful coming off of the bench.

6. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

I think I would have D-mo start along with Dwight. Dwight's defense and rebounding + average offensive skill compliment D-mo's average rebounding and defense + above average offense.

I also think Tjones and Josh Smith can run the floor better with Brewer.

I'd like the game finished by Dwight and Josh Smith (with Ariza, Harden, and Brewer with Harden at the point)

7. hakeemthagreat

Smith isn't limited offensively. He just has horrible shot selection. If he plays within himself in the post or drives the ball, good things happen with Dwight

8. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

He is very a very inefficient offensive player. That has improved greatly with him going to the bench. Him and Dwight were not good together on offense, we all saw it. He is so much better coming in off of the bench playing with players that take better shots and are more efficient. I like him a 100 times better with DMo or TJones than with Dwight.

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

See below...

See below

Exactly. If Dwight Howard comes back and demands to post-up he's not getting what makes us a championship caliber team. And that's exactly what he will do because to be frank, he can't get beyond the fact that he's just not a good post-up player.

Since he won't defer to others happily, and adjust his game to what the team needs, let him come off the bench. It gives him a way to ease his way back onto the team without being detrimental to the offense.

10. cruwinas_lawona

No way Dwight will come off the bench. So, that scenario doesn't exist.

11. brownxmas

brownxmas Member

Dwight should absolutely come off the bench and take Joey Dorsey's minutes.

12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Sometimes the wolf dresses like a sheep to get closer to the momma birth sheep

13. nobie

nobie Member

zero minutes to be exact :confused:

14. rockets13champs

nah make dwight come from bench and slowly back to starting. or start with 15 mins and build up to 30-35

15. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

This guy know basketball my thoughts exactly. Like it or not DMo is the most versatile so he has to make the sacrifice for the team to work with the other parts. A lineup of Howard n Jones works better. U have the guy that's gonna get the post touching n a energy guy. With dMO n Josh u have the same dynamic. A post n a energy guy. So u can play the same way for 48 minutes. If McHale is smart that's what he will do.

16. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Don't forget jtones 3 ball has been looking good also. So I they he is a for spacer also.

17. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Yea. That's just dumb

Don't know what's wrong with some of you guys. This team need d12. In the playoffs DMo would get destroyed
    by gasol,Jordan and any other legit big.

18. PolarBear

PolarBear Contributing Member

I agree with this. It's not clear if DH12's knee will hold up through the playoffs. To improve those odds, they should limit his minutes to 24 or less, and let him take off the second night of back-to-backs - there are three of them after this Thursday's game. We have sufficient depth to keep all the bigs fresh. A 4-Big rotation of DH12, DMo, TJones, & Smoove of 24 minutes each (and 32 each when DH12 sits) will work fine.

I still can't help but wish we had signed Whiteside instead of Dorsey to that two year guaranteed contract.

19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I want this team to have an identity and a niche. That identity is defensive IMO and to achieve it we need D-Mo to play most minutes out of the PF's.

Howard
    DMo
    Ariza
    Harden
    Beverley

That's an elite defensive team - possibly best in the league - and not lacking in offensive power. Yes it means D-Mo is playing outside his comfort zone, but he is also the best backup C option so he will get plenty of minutes on the floor without Dwight.

Jones and Smith are going to have to scrap for minutes IMO. As much as I'd like to see us spreading the minutes out, I know who McHale is by now and he is certainly going to trot out a 3-man big rotation. Whoever we play in the playoffs will have an excellent PF so I imagine Smith's defensive skills will be more needed than Jones' offensive spark. Jones is a great rebounder but a healthy Dwight makes Jones' rebounding less necessary.

20. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I would say Jones is the more natural fit next to Dwight. We WANT DMo getting the ball in the post, and Dwight is going to cramp his style. Play DMo shorter minutes as the post threat option while Dwight sits. If DMo finds his 'swag' again, then re-evaluate!

Howard (30 minutes)
    Jones (27 minutes)
    Smith (25 minutes)
    DMo (15 minutes)