1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are We Witnessing the Greatest Shooting Guard in Rockets History?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deckard, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Harden has to play like an MVP in the postseason, which I believe he will do.

Let's revisit this question in May/June.

2. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

It's pretty much a question that can't be quantified. However, I'd say that we are definitely witnessing something we haven't had in a very long time. Yao was universally loved, and was the face of the franchise, but I think he lacked the cultural appeal with young people that Harden obviously has. Between his appearance, his commercials, and his play, he's definitely the most DYNAMIC player the Rockets have had in a long, long time.

3. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Bobby Sura?

4. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Not really, T-Mac was extremely inefficient. Low shooting percentage with a below 80% free throw %. There is a reason he never won a playoff series and the Rockets won when he got hurt. His stats really are empty when you take a closer look. Took shots from more efficient players and didn't enough in other departments.

One thing I will say about T-Mac before his mons got hurt, he was decent passer who didn't commit turnovers in bunches but I don't think that out weighed his missing.

5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

6. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Put the question this way: From among all players ever to wear the jersey, you're choosing the best 5 to put on the court.

Without a doubt, you're putting Olajuwon and Harden in that 5. You're just not sure exactly which positions they're playing.

Me, I might play McGrady at the 3.

2 people like this.
  7. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Harden is already better than Drexler and Murphy as Rockets. Calvin was great, but that team rode Big Mo to the Finals. Clyde was already past his prime in Houston, although he had a tremendous run in the '95 playoffs. With Harden's improved defense, playoff success is the only thing between him and being a Top 5 Shooting Guard ALL-TIME. If he wins an MVP and the scoring title, he will pass Drexler regardless of uniform IMO. He's already better than Tracy (as a Rocket) due to being a better shooter and his ability to draw fouls.

All Time SGs

MJ
    Kobe
    West
    Wade
    Drexler

Where will Harden finish?

stay tuned

8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

More of an SF than a SG, no? Although I don't know how to make those distinctions.

TMac was incredible to watch. But Harden is every bit as good (in the regular season). One post-season run would leapfrog McGrady, in my book. McGrady was fantastic in the playoffs.

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Easily better than tmac. Better leader, more durable. Doesn't buddy up to Stephen a smith. Has good relationship with coach.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Good point about Harden having "the luxury of time," JV. In my opinion, "all" James needs is some playoff success. As for McGrady, James is the same age (25) as McGrady was when we traded for him. McGrady, as we both know (heck, as everyone here not hidden under a rock at the time knows), never made it past the 1st round. The year we advanced and met the Lakers in that epic 7 game series, when we had Yao for 3 games, Brooks, Scola, and World Peace, Tracy McGrady didn't play. So when it comes to playoff success with the Rockets (that's what I'm discussing here, or I would include previous playoff success, or lack of success, for both players with different teams), neither got past the 1st round. If we get past the first round with James, I don't see how a comparison with McGrady can hold up. Playoff success trumps all, in my opinion.

Excellent post, Will. I would keep Harden at the 2 and play Murph at the 1, though, or maybe Lucas, before he went off the deep end. If a 4 could be agreed on, that would be an incredible fantasy team.

"It's really easy to take great players for granted. Try not to. We're really lucky to get to watch a player with that level of talent play night in and night out here."

That's a big part of why I started the thread, Max, and as people may have noticed, I very rarely start threads, being of the opinion that there is almost always a thread in the GARM that has the discussion I might have considered starting a thread for. It would be nice if more members here realized that. ;-)-

I keep reading posts, or thread titles, complaining about Harden for one reason or another, and it occured to me that a lot of the younger Rockets fans here might not realize just how few in number truly exceptional shooting guards are that have worn a Houston uniform. While we have been blessed with great centers, you can't say that about shooting guards, in my opinion. If Harden has post-season success and retires as a Rocket, I agree that we'll be seeing his jersey hanging from the rafters. How I hope that we see that happen, because it will be reflective of team success in the playoffs that will drive that decision as much as individual success, in my opinion. You and I, along with a bunch of other members here, care more about team success than the individual success of players on the Rockets. I want to see Harden's jersey hanging from the rafters, sure, but I want division titles, conference titles, and championship banners a hell of a lot more.

#30 Deckard, Feb 24, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  11. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

Yeah, it will be really hard for him to match T Mac's playoff success.... wait.

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No all star can play that long with that much playoff failure, McGrady is the standard for going fishing early on tnt

13. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

Don't forget about Kevin Martin

14. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I cringe watching videos of McGrady. That dude was so in love with 16-19 foot jumpers and wasn't great at making them. Contrast that with Beard's shot selection and it makes me wonder how McGrady never figured out he had some horrible shot selection.

Harden will go down as the best wing to ever play for the Rockets. He is certainly having the best individual season for any SG for the Rockets.

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

My GOAT starting 5:

James Harden
    Calvin Murphy
    Clyde Drexler
    Elvin Hayes
    Hakeem Olajuwon

Bench:

Moses Malone
    Yao Ming
    Tracy McGrady
    Ron Artest
    Vernon Maxwell

16. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

T-Mac was never at fault for playoff failure. That dude wanted to win more than anybody. Team just wasn't ever healthy

17. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I think so. He'll have to sustain this level of play(or something close to it) for several more years. But as long as he accomplishes anything in the postseason, he'll be better than T-Mac IMO.

It's easy to forget, but T-Mac only played for about 4 seasons worth of games for the Rockets when you add it all up. 2004-05, 2005-06(he missed a lot of games due to injury), 2006-07, 2007-08, and 2008-09(the microfracture season). After that he was basically done until he finally got traded. And he never got the Rockets out of the first round.

As for Clyde, he was great for the Rockets, but the prime of his career was as a Blazer. He deserves enormous credit for helping deliver the 2nd title, but after that he had only 2 more solid seasons for the team(and 1995-96 was an injury riddled one) and then his farewell season in 1997-98 which was not a good one for the Rockets.

18. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Lol. Harden contested step back 3s breh. Gtfo. Tmac nailed those 17 footers in their eyes. Back to back

19. 2016Champions

2016Champions Member

Yes, it might take a couple more years and playoff performances before it can be said without resistence, but I believe that's exactly what we are beginning to witness.

1 person likes this.
  20. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Never at fault? He deserved plenty of heat for the 2005 and 2007 flameouts. You come home up 2-0 in a playoff series, you need to close. Blowing that lead and falling in Game 7 by 40 did not reflect well on him. And despite his postgame remarks, he did not have the last laugh.

And with 2007, you have Game 7 on your home floor, you need to close. He put up great numbers in that game, but he was nowhere to be found in the last half of the 4th quarter after the Rockets went up 5. Frankly, they should've won that series in Game 6. The Jazz were playing horribly and the game was right there for the taking. But T-Mac kept jacking up long jumpers(none of which went in) instead of attacking the basket. I could tell from his body language that night that he didn't feel any urgency to close out Utah.