1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wait - What do you think DMo's Ceiling is?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, Feb 13, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Because Aldridge.

2. NotChandlerParsons

I guess I consider 31% on one attempt from 3 point land to be "don't take three pointers" territory. He takes so few, there's not enough sample size to establish that he's even improved over his first two seaon.

3. joesr

joesr Member

Why do people automatically think 7 footers mean center???

4. Moahst

Moahst Member

His ceiling is a really hard to read right now. At 24 years old, Motie is still developing. He's probably at his athletic peak in terms of lateral movement (important for gauging his defensive potential) but with his offensive game it seems like we've just scratched the surface. I think we'll see marginal improvements over the course of the next five years and he'll end up being a great second option on a good team. I'm just glad we've moved past the defensive liability phase.

5. basketballholic

Aldridge is 42% for his career from mid-range.

42%!

6. seeingred

seeingred Member

1) his 3 point shot isn't reliable
    2) it gives him an option if he can't back his man down (like against DeAndre Jordan the other night
    3) his pump fakes will actually catch defenders off guard, giving him an easier path to the basket.

7. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

DMo at 24 -

- Has an array of amazing post moves ....I want him getting plenty of touches down low, but not at the cost of his rare, well rounded game. There will be a time later when he feasts inside a majority of the time...Don't get me wrong, he needs more touches in the post when Dwight is in the game .. even now. Dwight needs to be playing D, grabbing boards, and ramming home dunks. PERIOD They'll be a formidable duo if Dwight can stay healthy enough to be 80 - 85 % and accept this role down the stretch.
    Sorry, I digress....DMo in the post will be SPECTACULAR once he grows into his body/fills out more...Gotta be careful though, like I said..don't want to r****d the maturation of the other rare skills this 7 footer has by putting too much weight on him and tossing into the ring down low, too much, too soon. We know this kid will rule down low offensively for years. (AND THE REBOUND TOTALS WILL RISE)

- Has very good touch to go along with those jump hooks..and other short -midrange shots.

- Can bust it from downtown ....

- Has an understanding of the game to the point where he can combine it with good passing ability/court vision...knows how to play within the flow, within himself....make his teammates better.

- Already is a great position defender and plays great team defense.

- At 7 feet, he runs that court like his hair is on fire....Definitely one of the fastest big men I've laid eyes on.

Basically, I'm of the belief that DMo might very well end up being a perennial all star.

It was always BOOM or BUST with Donuts and .......well, he's a special player...

#67 Plowman, Feb 13, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  8. Jontro

Jontro Member

If he can improve his rebounding, he'd be a damn beast. Sky is the limit.

I'm just afraid that he'll peak early and then stay the same for the rest of his career.

9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

In our playoff matchup he was 98.6%

10. 2016Champions

2016Champions Member

No one to compare him to, there is no two-way PF in the league who is 7 feet with his skill set.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Younger Sabonis lite but not as physically strong

12. kevtse

kevtse Member

13. PeppermintCandy

At this point I'd put DMo above only Charlie V.

Older guys like Gasol, Duncan or even Nowitzki could suddenly plummet off this list. But frankly, I don't know how much DMo can move up this list just through his own improvement.

14. Exiled

Exiled Member

IMO , he might be 37 old Dirk, with some D

15. coffeelover665

David Lee and Bogut roles should be what Dwight and Dmo should do. Except our D&D boys are more athletic and talented

16. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Aldridge's value out of the mid range is more about what he can do with the ball and what sort of offensive sets they can run out of it than the shot itself, which is why he's trying to expand his game to the 3 point line, even he's better off doing that if we're talking just catch and shoot plays.

17. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

14/7
    with average defense

DMo needs to get stronger to improve his defense and rebounding. Who knows how the increased strength will effect his shot. His shoddy FT% is unexplainable... not Smoove bad though. It's crazy how guys can shot 3's decently, then be horrible from the stripe.

#77 Houstunna, Feb 14, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  18. Lorenzomax

Lorenzomax Rookie

Scola's offense w/ average defense.

19. fattz

fattz Member

Greg Monroe-ish

20. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

His ceiling is replicating the career of McHale.