1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How do you stop Stephen Curry?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by NateNate, Feb 10, 2015.

1. NateNate

NateNate Member

For those of you who have a chance to watch him outside of the Rockets and national television games...

Who or what type of guards does Curry struggle against offensively?
    Is there a Curry stopper in the league?
    How does he fare against the top PG's?
    What about the bigger guards like Westbrook and Rose?

If I had to construct a guard to defend him I would think having long freakish arms would be an underrated aspect in stopping him. Having the ability to put an arm in his face, or keep him under wraps when trying to keep him in front of you and keep him from dribbling circles around you would be huge. Someone strong who in turn can post him up on the other end but fast enough to stay with him defensively. I'm surprised more teams don't make him pay for his lack of size. Get his ass in foul trouble early and hope he becomes less of a factor. What do you guys think?

2. finsraider

finsraider Member

Having two 2013-2014 Patrick Beverley's is the only way to contain him. You need a guy that stays in his face and never let's up.....and when that guy gets tired, you need another one that does the exact same thing.

3. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

**** that the question is how do you stop James Harden!!

4. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

Worddddd

5. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

James Harden the Real MVP!! **** Steph Curry right now alright haha.

6. Moleb

Moleb Member

Russell Westbrook going at him play after play slowed Curry down.

7. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

by being the golden state warriors.

8. NateNate

NateNate Member

I posted this in the nba dish fellas. I know Harden is great but I don't care to figure out how you stop him!!

9. NateNate

NateNate Member

I would imagine he would struggle against him being that he is fast and strong. Do you recall how Westbrook looked defensively on Curry??

10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

When you have a team of sharp shooters and good ball movement, of course its harder to stop any "one" player.

11. downbytheriver

Put Corey Brewer or Ariza on him. Don't rely on small PG's.

Philly had the 6'7 KJ MCdaniels on curry a couple nights ago. Went 7-20. It's the long athletic types that will bother him, not the tough bulky shorter PG's.

12. lionaire

lionaire Member

Definitely, that's why i think OKC favors in that matchup if they meet in the postseason.

13. NateNate

NateNate Member

That's my thinking as well. Maybe an athletic Suan Livingston TYPE with more bulk on defense.

14. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Curry didn't do too much damage in both games against the Sixers this season. I think he has dropped off a little bit, especially on his passing

15. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I think the best way to attempt to slow him down is crowd him. Force him to put it on the floor and shoot in the clogged paint. He shies away from contact inside and absolutely kills teams who give him the space to shoot from deep.

And while that might be the ideal plan it's hardly fool proof. Elite offensive talents find a way more often than not. The old saying great offense beats great defense didn't come from nowhere, it's the reality of the NBA.

16. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

Put Goran Dragic next to Harden and watch our guards ball aka slow the $hit out of Curry.

17. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

I'd target Klay, not Steph, the rest of their starting lineup puts up a 20 point game once in a blue moon and Steph isn't going to average 40

18. ts2mars

ts2mars Member

clippers were pretty successful last year in the playoffs...mainly by trapping him after every pick set.

i think it takes team defense to stop him mostly. he uses screens and transition pull ups so effectively that even a great defender can't prevent him from getting his shots.

19. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Elbow to the face when he drives, or give him the Manu / Bowen foot to land on when he shoots...

Sorry, I'm from the old school.